New coach better be better than Leach

How many National championships and conference championships does Leach have ? I think they can come up with a comparable coach IMO .

You don’t like him?

Its not that. People make it sound like he is some kind of genius super coach. I dont see it. He has a high flying, pass heavy offense. Big deal. I think his style would get wrecked in the SEC. He is kind of funny, but more goofy.

I woukd support Leach if he were hired. But I dont think he is a superstar like some think.

So.. you'd rather John Currie, after the whole crap storm that blew through the program this week, still have a job? Not to mention Phil getting the AD spot loosens the grip the Haslem's have on the program as well.

Trust Phil.. Quit jumping ship before we even set sail.

Hard not to jump ship when they hand the wheel to the captain that put us into the rocks in the first place.

Reactions: 3 people
The HoH never wanted Leach because they couldn’t control him. Currie whet rogue to go and try to seal a deal with Leach (which sound like he was successful) which was the final straw in the eyes of HoH. Now he is out. Fortunately (maybe) Fulmer got instated instead of another Haslam puppet. Time will tell if Fulmer was the right choice or if we should have went to Blackburn.
The Good news Phil will hire a guy to fit the traditional UT mode!
The bad news is the Traditional UT mode is a conservative minded , boring 8-4 or 9-3 coach!
I would rather have a Leach or Kiffin.
Spurrier is one of the SEC’s best ever , but even if he was 20 years younger Phil wouldn’t hire him.

Reactions: 2 people
I think it's Gruden, Miles, or Leach. All other options have already used UT to sign bigger contracts and from his presser I really don't see him getting a coordinator.

I hope you're right. I was on the Leach bandwagon last night after watching him, and I still am. He'd be incredible in the SEC - the guy knows how to coach.

Reactions: 4 people
how is Phil the savior instead of a continuing part of the problem?

Phil is Status Quo it seems to me.

Why is he going to buck the Haslams and the big boosters?

I don't get it.

Can somebody please explain?

This is bigger than Mike Leach or any coach we could have hired. NO coach would have succeeded here as long as Currie and more importantly Haslam were running the show.

THEY'RE GONE!

WE'RE FREE!

SUPPORT FULMER!

SUPPORT OUR NEXT COACH!

UNITE AS VOLNATION!

GO BIG ORANGE!

This

Currie was not the problem

he facilitated the problem, which I feel is Haslam. Davenport did it also by hiring Currie over Blackburn. She needs to tread lightly and come off the cash it takes to get a proven coach. That's long been one of UT's main problem. Not good at writing a contract.

Miles shelf life expired like it does for all coaches who stay in one place for too long and don't evolve. He didn't evolve and was jettisoned. There's a reason no one looks his way. His title was while Saban was at Miami. He's just another guy Saban put out to pasture these days.

In response do you or anyone else feel that PF has evolved? That's gonna be a big factor and one of the very reasons Leach was popular. Leach is innovative and creative and was doing well in an area where recruiting was limited and with 2*-3* star recruits. His QB is a walk on. For these reasons the potential is definitely there.We have FSU and Arky looking too. He won't be around long. Have we blown it again in ignorant fashion?

If we end up hiring someone worse than Leach I’m going to be pretty ticked.

Tee Martin is who Phillip Fulmer seems to be interested in. He really talked about someone who wants to be here and hire a coordinator is fine because he started as a coordinator. Ugh

Do you guys hear that? Sounds like a cry baby

Reactions: 1 person
how is Phil the savior instead of a continuing part of the problem?

Phil is Status Quo it seems to me.

Why is he going to buck the Haslams and the big boosters?

I don't get it.

Can somebody please explain?

People are ignoring the glaring fact that Joe DiPietro and Bev work for a Haslam. I don't really think some big super anti-Haslam power play went down when the top of the food chain who had to ultimately approve it is a Haslam. This just let's them hire anyone they want under the cover of Phil did it, so it's okay.

The Good news Phil will hire a guy to fit the traditional UT mode!
The bad news is the Traditional UT mode is a conservative minded , boring 8-4 or 9-3 coach!
I would rather have a Leach or Kiffin.
Spurrier is one of the SEC’s best ever , but even if he was 20 years younger Phil wouldn’t hire him.

We need to break tradition then. I'm a little skeptical of Leach because of the defense-minded SEC but he's got the qualities and potential. Read into his and Hal Mumee's approach to offense and am impressed. His record isn't that impressive but doing a lot with the calibre of players he got. Davenport may be considering his legal issues and foul lanquage....not fair. We need an innovated leader. We could be disappointed easily with a conservative Fulmer hire.

In response do you or anyone else feel that PF has evolved? That's gonna be a big factor and one of the very reasons Leach was popular. Leach is innovative and creative and was doing well in an area where recruiting was limited and with 2*-3* star recruits. His QB is a walk on. For these reasons the potential is definitely there.We have FSU and Arky looking too. He won't be around long. Have we blown it again in ignorant fashion?

Phil is the same guy he's always been. That's vindictive and paranoid. It's served us well when he was taking Alabama down. It served us ill when his paranoia wouldn't let him hire decent assistants.

People are ignoring the glaring fact that Joe DiPietro and Bev work for a Haslam. I don't really think some big super anti-Haslam power play went down when the top of the food chain who had to ultimately approve it is a Haslam. This just let's them hire anyone they want under the cover of Phil did it, so it's okay.

If that's the case we'll know it and all kinds of hell will be raised. bank on it.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm mostly sold on Leach with an SEC D. For those who say pass attacks don't work in the sec, what about FL's "fun n gun" under Spurrier?

Tee Martin will be an unmitigated disaster for both parties atm. Right now this is not a situation in which Tee is likely to succeed.

I would really like Tee in 3-5 years as HC tho. Let him stay at USC, take a mid-level HC job in a couple of years so he can wet his beak as an HC.

Get Les Miles it's a no brainer.

Can we just celebrate a major step forward. My take (and hope) is that football people are back the door now and have some say. If true, that is a major victory over the powerful forces who were clueless but had overwhelming financial and political influence and who thought that only they knew. They didn't...look at the last ten years.

I don't have any idea which way Coach Fulmer will head now, I'll ask him next time he is over at our house, but I believe in my heart that HE IS A FOOTBALL PERSON. For today, that is huge. My expectation is that with this new direction, prospective coaches that have said no recently could be approachable again. Especially by another coach who can explain the real battle that has been going on at UT.

GO BIG "O".

Originally Posted by JazzMaster001 View Post
This is bigger than Mike Leach or any coach we could have hired. NO coach would have succeeded here as long as Currie and more importantly Haslam were running the show.

THEY'RE GONE!

WE'RE FREE!

SUPPORT FULMER!

SUPPORT OUR NEXT COACH!

UNITE AS VOLNATION!

GO BIG ORANGE!

HOW ARE THEY GONE?
HASLEM IS THE GOVERNOR
HE PICKS THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES
HE APPROVES THE OVERALL BUDGET

THEY ARE NOT GONE AT ALL--WAKE UP EVERYBODY!

Reactions: 3 people
Leach only has one 10+ win season in his entire career. He has never been more than an 8 win average coach.

He's slightly above average, but there are much better coaches out there.

yeah....at Podunk U. Fulmer was 0 and 0 as a head coach before he got the job here. That would have been a mistake in your judgment though, right?

VN Store

Back