New coach better be better than Leach

GetEmVols

If we end up hiring someone worse than Leach I’m going to be pretty ticked.

Tee Martin is who Phillip Fulmer seems to be interested in. He really talked about someone who wants to be here and hire a coordinator is fine because he started as a coordinator. Ugh

Reactions: 19 people
So.. you'd rather John Currie, after the whole crap storm that blew through the program this week, still have a job? Not to mention Phil getting the AD spot loosens the grip the Haslem's have on the program as well.

Trust Phil.. Quit jumping ship before we even set sail.

Reactions: 13 people
I think it's Gruden, Miles, or Leach. All other options have already used UT to sign bigger contracts and from his presser I really don't see him getting a coordinator.

So.. you'd rather John Currie, after the whole crap storm that blew through the program this week, still have a job? Not to mention Phil getting the AD spot loosens the grip the Haslem's have on the program as well.

Yes I would . Leach would be here for a while but Currie would be fired after messing up the Lady Basketball HC coming

Reactions: 2 people

Tee Martin is who Phillip Fulmer seems to be interested in. He really talked about someone who wants to be here and hire a coordinator is fine because he started as a coordinator. Ugh

He also said experience was a huge factor.

Reactions: 1 person
Tee Martin will be an unmitigated disaster for both parties atm. Right now this is not a situation in which Tee is likely to succeed.

I would really like Tee in 3-5 years as HC tho. Let him stay at USC, take a mid-level HC job in a couple of years so he can wet his beak as an HC.

Get Les Miles it's a no brainer.

Reactions: 9 people
Yes I would . Leach would be here for a while but Currie would be fired after messing up the Lady Basketball HC coming

afraid not. if Currie can pull Leach, i feel pretty confident Phil can do pretty well himself. Trust the process.

Leach only has one 10+ win season in his entire career. He has never been more than an 8 win average coach.

He's slightly above average, but there are much better coaches out there.

I'm 100% fine with Tee Martin. Worst case scenario is that he's one of the best recruiters in the nation and we're routinely making bowl games. Best case scenario is that we're back to competing for national championships.

I'm good with Mike Leach too. The pirate is one of the best offensive minds in the game and he'd have the resources to hire a top-tier DC.

I don't get the infatuation people have with Les Miles. He underperformed with some of the best talent in the nation. Didn't have a workable offense in years.

Reactions: 5 people
Leach only has one 10+ win season in his entire career. He has never been more than an 8 win average coach.

I think you really need to look at what those programs were like before Leach took over. Then take his first two years of "ramp up" at each program out of the equation. It looks pretty darned good.

Reactions: 4 people

I don’t want Currie but I do want Leach if that was our best option. Leach was more of a sure thing than a Tee Martin with no experience

Why do u all not understand Washington State is one of the worst programs in NCAA

Tee has zero 10+ win seasons. In fact he has never had a win as a head coach. It would be a low percentage gamble.

Reactions: 3 people

and he won 9-10 games at programs that Saban or other excellent coaches would have difficulty doing the same

I have no problem with Tee as HC. He's in the same position Frost was in 2 years ago. Does he really need to prove himself at Eastern Carolina or some podunk school for 2 years for him to be considered for HC? By then, we will totally miss out on him to another school. Don't you think Nebraska wishes they had got Frost 2 years and gotten a head start on recruiting implementing his system?

you are setting the bar pretty lo with "better than Leach". He is one of very few ADs that can sit across the table from a prospective coach and ask them if the feel they can beat my record? Explain how.

I'd be scared to death if Tee was hired as HC in this current climate.

It will likely set our program back 5-years and would likely ruin any real HC potential Tee has. Right now this job cannot be an HC's first job. That would be bad business for all involved.

Reactions: 4 people

Who would be better than Leach?

Gruden - not happening
Kiffin - not happening
Gundy - not happening

Miles - not nearly as good of an option as Leach.
Sumlin - not happening and about the same a Leach.
Tee - not ready not now

We aren’t getting someone better than Leach unfortunately.

I firmly believe Mike Leach remains a viable candidate. The list probably includes:

Les Miles
Mike Leach
Tee Martin
Kevin Sumlin
Chad Morris

Philip Fulmer is a very practical guy and knows what it takes to win in the SEC at a high level. He is likable. I have full faith in him.

He also said experience was a huge factor.

Bingo. I didn’t infer “Tee’s the choice” from Fulmer’s words. He seemed more to be saying, “We can go the coordinator route, I was one, but experience is most important.”

VN Store

Back