New answers

Academics was not on CDS. The lady that heads up that area for the team is the best and has earned 100% respect in that right. CDS has nothing to do with the teams academics. But nice try.

He is a coach not a teacher in the academic world.

I do not care if his son is on the team or not. We need to win now.

Academics was not on CDS. The lady that heads up that area for the team is the best and has earned 100% respect in that right. CDS has nothing to do with the teams academics. But nice try.

The coach gets credit too, just like the coach takes the abuse when the academics (APR) are down. We can all agree Serrano hasn't panned out as a coach the way we had hoped, but he does get credit for some of the improvements in academics.

Who sets the standards and expectations, the coach or "the lady"?

The big beef with those that opposed the hiring of CDS was that he didn't have a legit college degree, it went like this...

"What kind of message does this send to the players about the importance of getting a degree when you hire a guy that doesn't have one?"

For all the problems, academics/off the field issues are not one of them. That has everything to do with the expectations set forward by the coach who has not hesitated to dismiss players that don't live up to the standards regardless of how much playing time they get.

Todd Raleigh put the program in a bad place academically because he didn't pay the attention necessary, nor did he set the expectation/standards.

Reactions: 1 person

The coach does get credit or blame for academics. He recruits players who are academically prepared or not prepared to compete in the college classroom. He sets the tone for the team's attitude toward academics and how seriously the team takes study hall, class attendance and academic performance.

If more players are getting better grades, staying eligible, and earning degrees, he can take a measure of credit.

There is extra time to study in the summer when you never make the NCAA tournament and rarely make it to Hoover.

Why is this even a talking point?

CDS deserves credit for the off the field stuff but none of it matters without Ws.

Why is this even a talking point?

CDS deserves credit for the off the field stuff but none of it matters without Ws.

It's a talking point because some have argued that there is no difference between the program CDS inherited and the one he may leave for the next guy. In those limited areas, it's certainly much better than he found it. If you go undefeated in the regular season but can't participate in the post season due to poor academic standing it DOES make a difference.

It's a talking point because some have argued that there is no difference between the program CDS inherited and the one he may leave for the next guy. In those limited areas, it's certainly much better than he found it. If you go undefeated in the regular season but can't participate in the post season due to poor academic standing it DOES make a difference.

It matters but does it really matter is my point.

Yes, but the to the average fan, we're talking no difference in the on the field product, and I'm pretty sure that's what most that are saying "there's no difference" mean.

Sure it does.

Now for folks who only scoreboard watch, maybe it doesn't.

Like i said it matters but the amount of good will he gets for it has run out. I don't doubt it was a factor in getting this extra year

Yes, but the to the average fan, we're talking no difference in the on the field product, and I'm pretty sure that's what most that are saying "there's no difference" mean.

I understand that, my response was specifically for 99.

Every year, around draft time, the talk starts about what round a player may go versus staying and getting a degree. Often times it's a pretty contentious debate and people seem to be pretty passionate about the "net worth" or value of a degree.

So, I find the fact that sometimes it matters and sometimes it doesn't humorous.

Last edited:
Like i said it matters but the amount of good will he gets for it has run out. I don't doubt it was a factor in getting this extra year

In my original post/response to 99, I said that very thing.

It would be hard to swallow with the money they spent the last 22 years on LNS.

But cutting a deal with Randy Boyd on sharing a downtown-area stadium may be the best option for improving facilities.

Lower Hudson/LNS could be converted as a baseball practice facility or site could be used for the badly needed indoor track facility. It's a bigger facility than Lee Stadium and perhaps be converted to softball use since they need more seats, be closer to campus and have a nicer local than wedged between RR and sewer treatment plant.

Right now, a new stadium and Tennessee's needs for baseball seem to be converging nicely time wise. The new stadium with all the amenities for fans and players would draw more. Would help with recruiting. Would help UT baseball possibly break even financially.

I have a feeling that CDS would find a job back on the west coast and flourish. Andy Lopez did better out west than in the SEC. Sometimes, despite experience and skills things just don't fit.

I haven't really given much thought to combining. I really wish that the administration would put together a committee. Not for a search as much as touring all of the SEC facilities, seeing firsthand what the biggest and best looks like.

If Mr. Currie thinks his previous experience here is all he needs to know, it won't serve us well. It's changed. CDS underestimated how difficult it would be just to get to .500 in this league, so just because you've been in the SEC in the past doesn't adequately prepare one for the jump that's occurred the past 7-10 years. I'd add that KSU baseball is 0-6 in the nine team, B12 currently.

Yeah, sorry.

When I was thinking "program", I was thinking wins and losses and talent on hand.

Not thinking about other aspects of a program.

Hope that clarifies things a bit

I haven't really given much thought to combining. I really wish that the administration would put together a committee. Not for a search as much as touring all of the SEC facilities, seeing firsthand what the biggest and best looks like.

If Mr. Currie thinks his previous experience here is all he needs to know, it won't serve us well. It's changed. CDS underestimated how difficult it would be just to get to .500 in this league, so just because you've been in the SEC in the past doesn't adequately prepare one for the jump that's occurred the past 7-10 years. I'd add that KSU baseball is 0-6 in the nine team, B12 currently.

Our success over that last 100 years has been extremely limited. Just changing coaches hasn't changed anything. I doubt seriously that it would be any different this time. That committee should look not just at facilities but everything.

Yeah, sorry.

When I was thinking "program", I was thinking wins and losses and talent on hand.

Not thinking about other aspects of a program.

Hope that clarifies things a bit

And on all those fronts I agree with you, for further clarity. :hi:

I understand that, my response was specifically for 99.

Every year, around draft time, the talk starts about what round a player may go versus staying and getting a degree. Often times it's a pretty contentious debate and people seem to be pretty passionate about the "net worth" or value of a degree.

So, I find the fact that sometimes it matters and sometimes it doesn't humorous.

I've seen many more lives changed by education than athletics. However, the scholarship structure in collegiate baseball makes it pretty difficult to defend what these young men might be sacrificing by leaving early.

Our success over that last 100 years has been extremely limited. Just changing coaches hasn't changed anything. I doubt seriously that it would be any different this time. That committee should look not just at facilities but everything.

IF there was such a committee, I agree.

It's confounding.

I've seen many more lives changed by education than athletics. However, the scholarship structure in collegiate baseball makes it pretty difficult to defend what these young men might be sacrificing by leaving early.

Yeah, the whole college baseball/minor league to major league system is a wreck for everyone except MLB.

Yeah, the whole college baseball/minor league to major league system is a wreck for everyone except MLB.

With parents now considering the long term implications of football injuries, now would be the perfect time to create the right types of opportunities to attract the best athletes to baseball.

As it stands, unless the parents have money, an athlete can't afford to focus on baseball. That starts with youth leagues and continues though college and the minors.

VN Store

Back