New 2019 Commit - Davonte Gaines

If any school hits on half their recruits that is a success. Barnes is way higher then 50%.

I guess those currently in question would be Johnson, Walker, Kent, and Burns... Johnson and Walker have shown flashes, play within themselves and have the rest of this season to determine if they can be solid contributors or better. Kent's injuries have made it impossible to evaluate or project his stretch 4 or 5 effectiveness. Burns is just biddin his time here instead of HS this year...

Walker has shown a determination to change his body style and increase his quickness so there is hope he can be what coach thought he could be...

I was encouraged by the extended minutes some of them got at Missouri and how it impacted their plus/minus numbers when Williams, Admiral, and even Alexander were sitting next to coach... but no way to really establish their ceilings...

We can better review his hit rate at the end of this season... but for sure they have all shown themselves to be team players and that is important with Barnes structure...

GO VOLS

Reactions: Vol49er
I guess those currently in question would be Johnson, Walker, Kent, and Burns... Johnson and Walker have shown flashes, play within themselves and have the rest of this season to determine if they can be solid contributors or better. Kent's injuries have made it impossible to evaluate or project his stretch 4 or 5 effectiveness. Burns is just biddin his time here instead of HS this year...

Walker has shown a determination to change his body style and increase his quickness so there is hope he can be what coach thought he could be...

I was encouraged by the extended minutes some of them got at Missouri and how it impacted their plus/minus numbers when Williams, Admiral, and even Alexander were sitting next to coach... but no way to really establish their ceilings...

We can better review his hit rate at the end of this season... but for sure they have all shown themselves to be team players and that is important with Barnes structure...

GO VOLS
It's not too late but at least to this point Jalen Johnson is a clear miss.

Yep, the RS Soph should be playing in front of the 4 or 5 guys in front of him. You really come out with some good ones.
He averages 8 minutes 53% from 2pt and 54% from 3pt. 2 TOs all season. His point and rebound totals look pretty much like those of a RS Soph.

Last edited:
How in the world have you determined this? He plays really well each time he gets minutes. He just happens to be behind Bone, Turner, Bowden, Schofield, and Pons at the 3 guard spots. His time will come and he has shown flashes of being a really good shooter.

I think JJ's career at UT is just getting started. If he stays here, I wouldn't be surprised if he averages 20 minutes a game and 10 ppg, next year. He has the skills, athletic ability and a decent shot. Barnes will have him balling soon enough. He is just going to have to stick it out and wait for his time to shine

How in the world have you determined this? He plays really well each time he gets minutes. He just happens to be behind Bone, Turner, Bowden, Schofield, and Pons at the 3 guard spots. His time will come and he has shown flashes of being a really good shooter.
Really, behind Turner? That's funny. Turner has barely played this year from injury. JJ plays no defense and has no motor. Good players find the floor.

Really, behind Turner? That's funny. Turner has barely played this year from injury. JJ plays no defense and has no motor. Good players find the floor.
I guess I missed the punchline. JJ played more when Turner was out. With Turner healthy, JJ is now the odd man out at guard. I guess Duke's, UK's, UNC's, Michigan's, and Michigan State's 9th and 10th men suck too, since they don't often "find the floor". Btw, he is averaging over 8 mpg. Jordan McRae once averaged 5.3 mpg at Tennessee. Russell Westbrook averaged 9 mpg at UCLA. Charles Matthews averaged 10 mpg at Kentucky. Not everyone comes in and makes an immediate impact. Some are forced to wait behind better, more experienced and seasoned players. It's not rocket science and it's not uncommon.

I guess I missed the punchline. JJ played more when Turner was out. With Turner healthy, JJ is now the odd man out at guard. I guess Duke's, UK's, UNC's, Michigan's, and Michigan State's 9th and 10th men suck too, since they don't often "find the floor". Btw, he is averaging over 8 mpg. Jordan McRae once averaged 5.3 mpg at Tennessee. Russell Westbrook averaged 9 mpg at UCLA. Charles Matthews averaged 10 mpg at Kentucky. Not everyone comes in and makes an immediate impact. Some are forced to wait behind better, more experienced and seasoned players. It's not rocket science and it's not uncommon.
Well I could have pointed out that you said he was playing behind Bone who is a point guard. JJ played a little more before Turner returned but it wasn't anything significant. I did say he has time but clearly to this point he is a miss.

Well I could have pointed out that you said he was playing behind Bone who is a point guard. JJ played a little more before Turner returned but it wasn't anything significant. I did say he has time but clearly to this point he is a miss.
I simply included all players currently playing the guard position; the 1, 2, and the 3. Obviously, I'm not insinuating that JJ would be playing PG were it not for Jordan Bone. That's silly, but you already know that.

Reactions: cardvolfan
I can see jj having a good junior season, leading to a breakout senior season. Has nba potential, but will probably find a good paying spot overseas.

That’s the thing, I don’t think anything is clear at this point one way or the other, and that’s ok.

Reactions: cardvolfan
That’s the thing, I don’t think anything is clear at this point one way or the other, and that’s ok.
I don't necessarily think that it's ok for a player in his 3rd season on campus to not be contibuting. There is an opportunity cost to that. We could have potentially signed a lesser rated recruit like a Bowden and be getting good bench production. The only way its ok is if he breaks out and becomes a stud the next 2 years and I highly doubt that happens. I hope I'm wrong.

I don't necessarily think that it's ok for a player in his 3rd season on campus to not be contibuting. There is an opportunity cost to that. We could have potentially signed a lesser rated recruit like a Bowden and be getting good bench production. The only way its ok is if he breaks out and becomes a stud the next 2 years and I highly doubt that happens. I hope I'm wrong.

Like Chris said, so every guy 9-13 that isn’t playing big minutes and isn’t a freshman is a bust? Sometimes you have good players with more experience in front of them, I’m guessing you can find examples on many of the ranked teams.

Reactions: cncchris33
So you'd pass on Johnson to sign a lesser rated recruit with the idea that player is going to somehow unseat Bone, Turner, Bowden, Schofield or Pons? Johnson is just fine. He plays well when he gets an opportunity; 7-13 from 3, 2 TOs in 10 games. He's just biding his time behind better players. You'd really have to catch lightning in a bottle to replace him with a lower rated recruit with the idea that player was going to unseat one of the 5 players currently ahead of JJ.

I think where you and everyone else seem to disagree, is that you believe that to be a reflection of JJ's talent (or lack of), while everyone else seemingly agrees that instead, it is a credit to the skill and ability of the 5 guys ahead of him.

So you are saying every player who is not scoring what 5 points or is it 10 points a game in their sophomore year is a miss. I guess Kyle Alexander is a miss. He averaged a 3.6 points a game his sophomore year.
Kyle Alexander was a 6-11 rim protector that contributed from day one. No comparison here.

Kyle Alexander was a 6-11 rim protector that contributed from day one. No comparison here.
Kyle Alexander played from day 1 because he had to. Literally no other options at his position. I can guarantee you that in a perfect world, he was an ideal redshirt candidate due to his size and lack of basketball experience. He had only played 2 years of HS ball prior to coming to Tennessee. He would be doing what he's doing now as a rJR, and we may possibly still have him for another year.

Kyle Alexander played from day 1 because he had to. Literally no other options at his position. I can guarantee you that in a perfect world, he was an ideal redshirt candidate due to his size and lack of basketball experience. He had only played 2 years of HS ball prior to coming to Tennessee. He would be doing what he's doing now as a rJR, and we may possibly still have him for another year.
I agree. I was thinking during his entire freshman year, I wish we could redshirt this guy. However, 6-11 athletic guys don't come a dime a dozen like wings. There was never any doubt that he would be good player.

I agree. I was thinking during his entire freshman year, I wish we could redshirt this guy. However, 6-11 athletic guys don't come a dime a dozen like wings. There was never any doubt that he would be good player.
Had Tariq Owens not bailed, we may have been able to do it.

Reactions: ColinS

VN Store

Back