Nevin McKenzie a Vol!

Yeah that would be cool if he and Willingham got to start.
2 big sleepers that came out of nowhere and it shows that UT can land prospects who no one has really noticed until after they've commited to UT. Sort of like HEFNEY maybe.

I have been optimistic about 2007 for awhile. After the Morley debacle, the secondary needed a fix... this looks like it.

It went from a possible weakness to a potential strength. If UT finds depth at DT, they could have the best defense in the SEC next year... that bodes well for championship aspirations as long as the O doesn't turn into the 2005 version of itself- unlikely with Cut and Taylor.

I'd say he'll be a FS(big hitter and ball hawk) while Hefney will stay at SS.

I'd say Hefney will be at free safety, while McKenzie can play strong safety hopefully on the same side as our best corner so that he won't have to do too much in coverage just yet. I think playing SS will allow him to help more in run support, too.

Traditionally Chavis has played more man to man, but with the recent play of our secondary, he's been forced to go more to zone.

Concerning safeties, recently both safeties have played similar roles on defense but I think if you take a look at some of our best defenses, we've had FS to play the ball, and a SS to play the run. I think the perfect example is the 98 team with Deon Grant at FS and Fred White at SS.

He is rated on a 3-star on rivals and is not even listed on scout...

My question is why are some making it sound like he is the next Ronnie Lott?

Just curious....

He is rated on a 3-star on rivals and is not even listed on scout...

My question is why are some making it sound like he is the next Ronnie Lott?

Just curious....

That should change in a few hours. And Scout sucks

He's 6'2'' 210 4.35 40 with offers from Florida and others and already has experience in the college game

Believe me, I hope he is great but why does that make him good?

Why do we consider any of these guys great before they ever set foot on campus? If you look back a couple of pages in this thread, he is expected to be a high 4* after Rivals updates the JUCO rankings this week.

They are excited because he has the physical attributes to be very good. They are better physically than what we already have on campus. Of course we have no idea how good they WILL be but nobody else does either. Its called speculation and its all we have in recruiting.

I wouldn't put much faith in Scout.com football rankings. Basketball? Yeah, but not football.

This is all speculation and assumption but on scout last year it had mckenzie listed at 180 and ran a 4.5, now he is listed at 215 and runs a 4.4, what it looks like to me is that he is probably a hard worker with a chip on his shoulder to get better and better each day... But it's all speculation

They are excited because he has the physical attributes to be very good. They are better physically than what we already have on campus. Of course we have no idea how good they WILL be but nobody else does either. Its called speculation and its all we have in recruiting.

Oh I agree whole-heartedly but some of the posts in this thread suggest that he will be an all-american someday...that's who my posts were directed towards....not the ones who understand the speculation...my apologies if I was sounding negative or anything.........

Hefney will probably play FS. Traditionally, Chavis does a lot of zone blitzes which puts pressure on the FS. The FS has to make all the reads. If you remember back to all of our DBs, usually the best of the bunch is back at FS. I see this guy coming in as a SS at first.
With that being said, McKenzie looks like he is big and fast enough to play run support or play a roaming SS that is used in blitz packages.

VN Store

Back