Netflix

I need a really good historical show to watch on Netflix. Any recommendations?
I had knee replacement earlier this month and needed something with multiple seasons to occupy my time. Landed on Boardwalk Empire and glad I did. Easy show to follow and good plot line. Historically, they probably took a little artistic liberties with actual people (Al Capone, J Edgar Hoover, etc) but a fun show to watch. Its a cross between Sopranos and Downton Abbey with slight parallels to Game of Thrones. Its not completely kid friendly but not like Sopranos dropping F bombs every other word.

I had knee replacement earlier this month and needed something with multiple seasons to occupy my time. Landed on Boardwalk Empire and glad I did. Easy show to follow and good plot line. Historically, they probably took a little artistic liberties with actual people (Al Capone, J Edgar Hoover, etc) but a fun show to watch. Its a cross between Sopranos and Downton Abbey with slight parallels to Game of Thrones. Its not completely kid friendly but not like Sopranos dropping F bombs every other word.
Good recommendation. I thought it tailed a little toward the end, but I really enjoyed it.

NBC is removing 'The Office' from Netflix in 2021 and putting it on its new streaming service

source.gif

Got enough time to binge it countless times...if that were your wont.

How does one borrow a password?

Find your own friends!

The streaming services know people are sharing, and most of them are fine with it/don't crack down. Hulu and Netflix have separate profiles for all the various users. I access my Mother-in-law's Netflix account and my buddy's Hulu. I don't think CBS is that encouraging about sharing, but they haven't cracked down on me and I've given my password to like 5 people who are all over the country logging in on at least 1 device, plus I have 3 devices. This has been going on for years. I also hand out my DirecTV login, and they haven't cracked down on me either. The only service that I know of that polices this to some degree is Vudu (you get 8 or 10 devices, at a max).

Trade with people. I usually get HBO and my cousin gets Showtime, and we just swap.

Reactions: YankeeVol
Find your own friends!

The streaming services know people are sharing, and most of them are fine with it/don't crack down. Hulu and Netflix have separate profiles for all the various users. I access my Mother-in-law's Netflix account and my buddy's Hulu. I don't think CBS is that encouraging about sharing, but they haven't cracked down on me and I've given my password to like 5 people who are all over the country logging in on at least 1 device, plus I have 3 devices. This has been going on for years. I also hand out my DirecTV login, and they haven't cracked down on me either. The only service that I know of that polices this to some degree is Vudu (you get 8 or 10 devices, at a max).

Trade with people. I usually get HBO and my cousin gets Showtime, and we just swap.
My MiL and SiL use my Hulu/Netflix.

I guess everyone is going to have a paid streaming platform? This is getting ridiculous. Just managing all the logins is stupid.

It's pretty much defeating the purpose of cutting the cord. Although I guess a perk is you can just get these services for a while to binge what you want then cut it off.

It's pretty much defeating the purpose of cutting the cord. Although I guess a perk is you can just get these services for a while to binge what you want then cut it off.

I have a feeling we're eventually going to come full circle be able to buy a bulk package which includes multiple streaming services and just have cable 2.0

I have a feeling we're eventually going to come full circle be able to buy a bulk package which includes multiple streaming services and just have cable 2.0

The old model was a result of distribution limitations. ESPN had to have a 3rd party involved to get the content to you. The 3rd party made you pay for Lifetime in order to get ESPN, even though you were never going to watch Lifetime. I think there is a market for a service that consolidates all your streaming platforms into one for the sake of convenience, but I don't see why or how we would return to a model where you have to pay for "channels" you're never going to use, unless it's somehow a better deal than getting everything a la carte. A la carte is what we always ever wanted. I have hundreds of channels on DirecTV and I watch like 10 of them. So stupid.

Problem was espn was like 1000% more than the other channels. Like 10$ out of every cable bill was for espn. Screw em, let them sink

Last edited:
Problem was espn was like 1000% more than the other channels. Like 10$ out of every cable bill was for espn. Screw em, let them sink

I would be happy to pay them $10/month and cut out the other stuff. I pay $5.99/month basically just for the UFC events on ESPN+. $7.22 of my $40 DirecTV package goes to ESPN and I watch ESPN probably 40% of the time. I watch a couple AMC and FX shows, a little Fox Sports, some hoops on TNT, NFL network, and that's about it.

I can’t tell you the last thing other than a live sport I watched on any of the espn channels. Don’t have plus and can honestly say I don’t think I missing anything for me there. I guess on my DTV I watch about anywhere from 14-17 different channels. I’m sure I could cut the cord but I won’t be saving any money. Internet at a mid year package is like 80 bucks a month here and I would need to add devices to five TVs. Plus the way I have my set up I would need a whole home DVR of some kind.

I guess everyone is going to have a paid streaming platform? This is getting ridiculous. Just managing all the logins is stupid.
The disruption is coming full circle back to the status quo. You went from paying $150 for cable to $8 for Netflix and $5 for Hulu who aggregated content. Now the Netflix/Hulu/Amazon model is understood by the main players and the tech and skilled labor exists to bring the distribution in house. So instead of paying two or three companies for 15 networks of content you’ll be paying 15 networks $10 each to watch the same **** you were watching on cable for $150 10 years ago. And cable will be waiting to take you back with open arms.

The disruption is coming full circle back to the status quo. You went from paying $150 for cable to $8 for Netflix and $5 for Hulu who aggregated content. Now the Netflix/Hulu/Amazon model is understood by the main players and the tech and skilled labor exists to bring the distribution in house. So instead of paying two or three companies for 15 networks of content you’ll be paying 15 networks $10 each to watch the same **** you were watching on cable for $150 10 years ago. And cable will be waiting to take you back with open arms.

I won't but you may. I'm at like $68 for more/better content than ever.

yeah as long as youtube tv, netflix and amazon prime is out there I'm saving a butt load every month over having cable and don't have 200 channels I care nothing about.

VN Store

Back