Negedu wants out of Zona - to UT?

He still has to be released from his LOI and sign with another team by May 21 to become eligible next season. Va. Tech wouldn't release Gilchrest from his LOI even due to the campus shootings so he was forced to sit out a year or attend prep school. Schools don't just release players for any little reason, especially this late in the period. I don't see Arizona doing that with their two best players departing for the L.

The players Arizona is losing doesnt have anything to do with Lute's decision. Negedu has already stated that he is not going to Arizona either way. So, not releasing him, does not help their roster any. It does hurt them in future recruiting because other prospects might not like that Lute wouldnt do what was in the best interest for the prospect involved. I dont know if that means he will release him or not. But that would be the reason he would do it, for recruiting. Either way though Negedu will not be at Arizona next season. He will be at a Prep School if he is not released.

He still has to be released from his LOI and sign with another team by May 21 to become eligible next season. Va. Tech wouldn't release Gilchrest from his LOI even due to the campus shootings so he was forced to sit out a year or attend prep school. Schools don't just release players for any little reason, especially this late in the period. I don't see Arizona doing that with their two best players departing for the L.

That must be why Gilchrist redshirted. Like I posted earlier, I read that Gilchrist was eligible for the second semester this past season. He did not have to sit out the entire year, but they chose to redshirt him.

You don't have to sign a letter of intent to be eligible to play the next year at a school. An example is that Bobby Maze committed in the summer after his enior year to Oklahoma and this was after the signing period. No player has to sign a LOI, its just that most always do.

I don't know the rules, but this makes sense. A LOI would then be a binding contract to provide reassurances to both parties.

You don't have to sign a letter of intent to be eligible to play the next year at a school. An example is that Bobby Maze committed in the summer after his enior year to Oklahoma and this was after the signing period. No player has to sign a LOI, its just that most always do.

I've always wondered what the advantage would be for a guy to sign a letter of intent early...

That must be why Gilchrist redshirted. Like I posted earlier, I read that Gilchrist was eligible for the second semester this past season. He did not have to sit out the entire year, but they chose to redshirt him.

Va Tech wouldn't let him out of his LOI, and Maryland decided they would rather redshirt him the second half of the season so that they would have him for 4 years instead of 3 and half.

Va Tech wouldn't let him out of his LOI, and Maryland decided they would rather redshirt him the second half of the season so that they would have him for 4 years instead of 3 and half.

I was under the impression when Pearl did not let Tyler Smith out of his LOI back in 2005 that Tyler was ineligible for the full year and not just the first semester, and would actually lose a year of eligibility, leading to his rumored deliberate failing of a class. That's partly why I reached the apparently false conclusion that VT eventually let Gilchrist out, since Gilchrist could have played and has not lost any eligibility.

Gilchrest qualified, Tyler did not. That is the only difference between the two and the reason Tyler need a full year of prep school.

Gilchrest qualified, Tyler did not. That is the only difference between the two and the reason Tyler need a full year of prep school.

I'm not questioning your knowledge of the situations, because your explanation makes perfect sense. It does, however, tend to debunk the rumor that Tyler sabotaged his own first-year eligibility to avoid losing a year of eligibility for attending a D-1 school other than UT.

I'm not questioning your knowledge of the situations, because your explanation makes perfect sense. It does, however, tend to debunk the rumor that Tyler sabotaged his own first-year eligibility to avoid losing a year of eligibility for attending a D-1 school other than UT.

That is true. For me, personally, I never thought there to be much truth that that rumor in the first place.

Question about the scholarships available...

Without Negedu, we have 12 of 13 scholarships occupied. But didn't we have to take the APR penalty that docked us a scholarship for the upcoming year? If so, what scholarship could we offer him?

If not, that would only leave us with 1 for sure scholarship available for next year, which is already occupied by Kenny Hall. Isn't that a little risky? I realize that Tyler probably won't stay and Hopson may be a one and done, but I feel that would be hard to sell to recruits for 2009

We applied the APR penalty to this past season, so we have all 13 schollies for next year, and you're correct that 12 are currently occupied.

I too have wondered if it would be easier to land a top signee in the November signing period if we have a for-sure scholly available. It wouldn't be the first time a team has over-signed though. Donovan did it last Fall. I don't particularly like the practice, but our situation would probably work itself out somehow, as did Florida's.

I just read that Gilchrist might ask out of his commitment to Maryland now. He fits the definition of a job-hopper.

Negedu told the Tucson Citizen on Sunday: "There have been so many changes that I feel they've lied to me all along about the situation. Everything has changed a lot since I've signed down there. I can't take it no more."

"Olson said since it's a national letter-of-intent, Arizona athletic director Jim Livengood is working with the NCAA to release Negedu.

Brewster coach Jason Smith told FOXSports.com on Tuesday afternoon that the school sent a national letter-of-intent release request form, which has already been signed by Negedu."
here's where i found the article
FOX Sports on MSN - COLLEGE BASKETBALL -
for some reason olson thinks he'll look at indian and memphis, but everywhere else i've seen indiana and us.:salute:

VN Store

Back