Need to "Michigan-Proof" CBJ (Butch Jones and Michigan merged)

Poll: Does UT retain Butch?

• Total voters
I'm sure we'll see him publicly "turn down" Florida next.

If this report is true I don't see your "public" point...I know you're reflexively snarky, but sometimes you need to let the game come to you. :no:

Reactions: 6 people
I just thought I remembered him having some Michigan interest the last time it opened up. I could be wrong. It would definitely be interesting to see that.

In 2007 there was a rumor that he was taking the Michigan job during the week leading up to the UT/LSU SEC Championship game. He got so upset about it that he held a fire-breathing press conference before the game, and the Tigers came out inspired and put Tennessee away.

I'm just happy to see a public report that Butch has declined. Allows us to not worry about it. I hope Florida finds a way to correct past mistakes and hire Ron Zook back. :)

In 2007 there was a rumor that he was taking the Michigan job during the week leading up to the UT/LSU SEC Championship game. He got so upset about it that he held a fire-breathing press conference before the game, and the Tigers came out inspired and put Tennessee away.

Ahhh! Thanks for clearing that up. Who knows you Michigan Will get. Kiffen and dooley are always open for HC jobs to mess up.

Reactions: 2 people
Even if we win our bowl game, Butch will still be 12-13 at UT, with only four conference wins in two years. And he's Top 10 in salary. We don't have to worry about the Cincy Six going anywhere this year.

Butch is a great recruiter, but he hasn’t shown he can win in the Power 5. He has followed Brian Kelly twice after Kelly did the heavy lifting in rebuilding two lower-tier programs. So Butch has to prove he can win big games in a big boy conference before he starts fielding serious offers. Hopefully, it will be worth worrying about next year, because that means we'll be winning meaningful games in a return to relevancy.

I think you're remembering it wrong. LSU didn't come out playing inspired football in that game. They were big favorites and they actually struggled alot, only scoring 6 points in the first half. It wasn't until the end of the game when they finally pulled ahead, outscoring us 8-0 in the 4th quarter for a 21-14 victory.

Last edited:
Butch isn't leaving. And the fact that a big name school reached out to him and he said no only gives credibility to Butch and Tennessee. It's actually a step in the right direction for our program.

Butch isn't leaving. And the fact that a big name school reached out to him and he said no only gives credibility to Butch and Tennessee. It's actually a step in the right direction for our program.

UT's program would have fallen to the 5th level of hell had Butch gotten the interview and was hired by UM. It's awesome news that CBJ is staying.

Even if we win our bowl game, Butch will still be 12-13 at UT, with only four conference wins in two years. And he's Top 10 in salary. We don't have to worry about the Cincy Six going anywhere this year.

Butch is a great recruiter, but he hasn’t shown he can win in the Power 5. He has followed Brian Kelly twice after Kelly did the heavy lifting in rebuilding two lower-tier programs. So Butch has to prove he can win big games in a big boy conference before he starts fielding serious offers. Hopefully, it will be worth worrying about next year, because that means we'll be winning meaningful games in a return to relevancy.

Incorrect.

VN Store

Back