ND coach. MUFFET

sisaq

Some body please tell this woman, ND head coach .M to stop talking too much.. She's going to talk her self into a mess. According to ND head coach, she's going to stop hiring men. Some thing Is wrong with her. Looks like winning a couple of championships makes her run her mouth. Pat was a high class, and would never say such thing. Even Baylor Kim condemned her comment.

Some body please tell this woman, ND head coach .M to stop talking too much.. She's going to talk her self into a mess. According to ND head coach, she's going to stop hiring men. Some thing Is wrong with her. Looks like winning a couple of championships makes her run her mouth. Pat was a high class, and would never say such thing. Even Baylor Kim condemned her comment.

You need to stop paraphrasing and post actual links and quotes.

Mulkey's hiring mantra: 'Best person for job'

TAMPA, Fla. -- Baylor women's basketball coach Kim Mulkey on Saturday said she empathized with and supported what Notre Dame coach Muffet McGraw said earlier this week about the need for more opportunities for women in coaching.

Mulkey, however, added her own nuance to the discussion.

"I understand her points, without a doubt," Mulkey said Saturday, as the coaches in Sunday's national championship game addressed the media. "But I'm of the belief, I want the best person for the job. I have a son, and I would be honored if my son wanted to coach next to me.

"[McGraw] has a son. I think she would be honored if he wanted to coach women's basketball. So I tend to stay away from saying the word 'never.' Bringing attention to what needs to be fixed, but don't give an absolute answer. Because I don't want to hire somebody just to be hiring them. I want to hire somebody that can help us be successful."

For her part, McGraw clarified she wasn't opposed to men being hired in women's basketball as a general concept, but she said there has to be a spotlight on the large disparity in basketball coaching opportunities for women across the board.

McGraw's assistant coaches are all women, and those are jobs, she says, that she prefers to have women fill. Especially since those coaching positions really have not been made available to women in men's basketball.

"I just hired a male video coordinator. I have just hired a male strength coach. I'm not opposed to hiring men," McGraw said. "I just think that women need opportunities, and those opportunities right now are going to men.

"We keep looking at ways to get our young graduates and alums into the game. There's no room for them in the game. Women are leaving the game because of the lack of a work-life balance. I think we can do a lot more to promote women as coaches. I think that's really important, particularly when you have a male head coach."

To that end, McGraw complimented UConn's Geno Auriemma, whose Huskies lost to Notre Dame in Friday's national semifinals.

"I think Geno has done a great job," McGraw said. "He always has an all-female staff. I think that's a great way to bring more women into the game.

"I think we definitely need more women athletic directors, people doing the hiring. Head coaches are doing the hiring of their staffs. When you look and see more men than women on a woman's staff, I think that's not the optics that I would like to see."

When McGraw's and Mulkey's teams meet in Sunday's NCAA final, it will be the first time since 2012 -- when it was the same two coaches and programs -- that the championship game will feature two women coaches.

Overall, since the NCAA tournament began for women in 1982, this will be the 13th title game in which both teams' head coaches are women. That doesn't include 1983, when Southern Cal was coached by Linda Sharp and Louisiana Tech had co-head coaches Sonja Hogg and Leon Barmore.

There have been four title games in which both head coaches were men.

Mulkey, a player for that 1983 Louisiana Tech team, has had a male assistant in Bill Brock for 16 of her 19 seasons at Baylor.

"As a female and a mother of a son and a daughter, I'm very careful, you know, saying 'never,'" Mulkey said. "But I do understand what [McGraw] is saying. Statistics are glaring."

She didn't say she's going to stop hiring men. She made that decision a few years ago. She's had an all female coaching staff for quite some time. She has men on her support staff.

Also, absolutely nothing wrong with saying that. Women make up half the population but are severely under-presented in leadership roles, including CEOs, politics, and coaching. She said until women get equal opportunity on the men's side, she will hire only women. And why shouldn't she? It's the same scenario as a black CEO hiring all black people or POC because white people get the most opportunity. And there's nothing wrong with that. It's their prerogative and it's hers, too. Also, she seems to be doing pretty well given her results the last decade or so.

Honestly, who really cares what Mulkey says? Muffet has always been the much classier coach out of the two, and Mulkey has been known to have a pretty high staff turnover, anyway, while Muffet has had the same staff for many years. If she wants to hire men and women good for her, but who really cares what she thinks about someone else's staff?

nursery-rhymes-little-miss-muffet-260nw-1293501082.jpg

So let me paraphrase ... "No men should be selected for a job even if they happen to be the best candidate. Well, unless of course it's for the noble cause of nepotism". Looks like the avowed sexists have come to clean up sexism and corruption in the sport. What could possibly go wrong?

You quoted Kim Mulkey but not Muffet on the matter.
Muffet has stated that she will never hire a male assistant coach. (That is why Kim was asked about it): Muffet complains about the pay gap, the lack of female politicians, the lack of females in men’s basketball, etc..
You can google “Muffet McGraw, male assistants”.

Reactions: sisaq and BUBear
She didn't say she's going to stop hiring men. She made that decision a few years ago. She's had an all female coaching staff for quite some time. She has men on her support staff.

Also, absolutely nothing wrong with saying that. Women make up half the population but are severely under-presented in leadership roles, including CEOs, politics, and coaching. She said until women get equal opportunity on the men's side, she will hire only women. And why shouldn't she? It's the same scenario as a black CEO hiring all black people or POC because white people get the most opportunity. And there's nothing wrong with that. It's their prerogative and it's hers, too. Also, she seems to be doing pretty well given her results the last decade or so.

Honestly, who really cares what Mulkey says? Muffet has always been the much classier coach out of the two, and Mulkey has been known to have a pretty high staff turnover, anyway, while Muffet has had the same staff for many years. If she wants to hire men and women good for her, but who really cares what she thinks about someone else's staff?
Your 2 statements are wrong. What if a men's coach made that statement of not hiring women or a white CEO would only hire a white man. You'd be the first to claim sexism or racism, but you'd be right.

You quoted Kim Mulkey but not Muffet on the matter.
Muffet has stated that she will never hire a male assistant coach. (That is why Kim was asked about it): Muffet complains about the pay gap, the lack of female politicians, the lack of females in men’s basketball, etc..
You can google “Muffet McGraw, male assistants”.

The pay gap in women's coaching, compared to men's is in direct correlation with the difference in revenue each sport generates. That's not discrimination, its straight up economics.

As far as how few women are coaching in men's basketball, sorry but the reality is most male basketball players are not interested in being coached by women. Deal!

hmmmm. Given that neuroscience has taught us that the potential of men and women are essentially equal, then the disparity of appropriate candidates available to coach is likely due to the ongoing blind attachment to our patriarchy. Until we actively attempt to level the playing field, not only do we continue to hold women down, we reduce the overall betterment of the world by reducing the total sum of the Contributions to society of all our members. Asinine that we sit here and fight for equality for the white male.

Would this be like the men’s team head coach failing to hire female assistant coaches. I guess as long as they don’t say it, there is no problem. How many men’s teams actually have female assistant coaches. Actually, how many men’s teams have female head coaches? I doubt there are many.

Would this be like the men’s team head coach failing to hire female assistant coaches. I guess as long as they don’t say it, there is no problem. How many men’s teams actually have female assistant coaches. Actually, how many men’s teams have female head coaches? I doubt there are many.

that is exactly the issue. The number of men coaching in the women's game (college and pros) has been steadily increasing whereas the number of women coaching in the men's side has not. (Oh but what about Becky Hammon, she is an assistant coach!! yeah, that is one assistant); the situation is not any better when you look at women in front office positions. So, it is not an even playing field. Thus, McGraw is simply saying that she is using her position to give opportunities that are not available elsewhere. If women could compete equally with men for jobs at D1 men's programs and the NBA, then this would be a moot issue.

coaching-and-gender2.png

Reactions: SKBubba

So, do those on the other side of the political spectrum prefer to believe their own fictional spin rather than considering what Muffet McGraw actually said?:

For her part, McGraw clarified she wasn't opposed to men being hired in women's basketball as a general concept, but she said there has to be a spotlight on the large disparity in basketball coaching opportunities for women across the board.
McGraw's assistant coaches are all women, and those are jobs, she says, that she prefers to have women fill. Especially since those coaching positions really have not been made available to women in men's basketball.
"I just hired a male video coordinator. I have just hired a male strength coach. I'm not opposed to hiring men," McGraw said. "I just think that women need opportunities, and those opportunities right now are going to men.
"We keep looking at ways to get our young graduates and alums into the game. There's no room for them in the game. Women are leaving the game because of the lack of a work-life balance. I think we can do a lot more to promote women as coaches. I think that's really important, particularly when you have a male head coach."
To that end, McGraw complimented UConn's Geno Auriemma, whose Huskies lost to Notre Dame in Friday's national semifinals.
"I think Geno has done a great job," McGraw said. "He always has an all-female staff. I think that's a great way to bring more women into the game.

hmmmm. Given that neuroscience has taught us that the potential of men and women are essentially equal, then the disparity of appropriate candidates available to coach is likely due to the ongoing blind attachment to our patriarchy. Until we actively attempt to level the playing field, not only do we continue to hold women down, we reduce the overall betterment of the world by reducing the total sum of the Contributions to society of all our members. Asinine that we sit here and fight for equality for the white male.

I guarantee neuroscience didn't teach you any such thing :rolleyes:

Just food for thought when is a transgendered human going to be a head coach? Where's the PC police or outrage? So many issues get overblown. Can women coach? Obviously, without question as Pat Summitt alone proved that point. Should women coach men, a good thought provoking question. But in this day and age Muffet is wrong saying point blank she will not hire another male. Let a male say point blank those words and see where it leads.....

Dude. I highly recommend you check (pardon the pun) the world of chess. There's a men's and women's world champion for a reason. Female grandmasters can't compete with male grandmasters. Sure, some can beat some, but the best woman in the world has no business on the board with Magnus Carlson. It is a purely intellectual game. Many of these ladies have the same coaches and training the men have.

I echo the poster above who stated "neuroscience taught you no such thing." We are not equal. We should have equal rights and opportunities, but it is a fallacy that men and women are equal in just about any way.

Have at me. I could care less about worms escaping the can I just opened.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Seems like many of you believe women to be physically and/or intellectually inferior, unprofitable (and therefore bad, money is everything afterall) believe they should not coach in the men's game (and in fact with few exceptions women do *not* coach in the men's game)...

...And yet are really upset that one women's coach had the nerve to make a milquetoast statement about not hiring male assistants. LOL. This board is a trip.

Your 2 statements are wrong. What if a men's coach made that statement of not hiring women or a white CEO would only hire a white man. You'd be the first to claim sexism or racism, but you'd be right.

The point they don’t have to say it. There’s literally only been one female assistant in all of men’s college basketball (350 teams) in THE LAST 15 YEARS.

Seems like many of you believe women to be physically and/or intellectually inferior, unprofitable (and therefore bad, money is everything afterall) believe they should not coach in the men's game (and in fact with few exceptions women do *not* coach in the men's game)...

...And yet are really upset that one women's coach had the nerve to make a milquetoast statement about not hiring male assistants. LOL. This board is a trip.
Are you saying women are NOT physically inferior to men? Honest question. Do you believe men and women are physical equals? I urge you to support an affirmative response with any science you can find.

Further, if you answered yes, is it, as mentioned above, some adherence to "the patriarchy" that keeps Britney Griner (example of amazing female basketball player) from being paid millions per year to compete against LeBron? Or is it simply that she'd get her lunch handed to her on a daily basis were she to dare step foot on the court versus the best men humanity has to offer.

Full disclosure: I have no issue admitting my wife is three times the athlete I ever dreamed of being. She competes in triathlons and can swim, bike, and run circles around me. She can't, however, do those same circles around the men who compete in the same triathlons. These are biological facts people. Politic correctness can rail against them, but it cannot overcome them.

This thread seems to have evolved into a us/them (women/men or men/women which ever).

My question is how many women coach mens basketball teams? Don't know why I bring this up, but just wonder. This could be something else to pis- and moan about.

There’s a difference when you’re trying to do your part in equaling a playing field by giving opportunities to those that don’t generally get them vs contributing to the status quo. It just isn’t the same. Sorry. 🤷🏻‍♂️

VN Store

Back