NCAAT Game Thread: Lady Vols vs Louisville

Pam Ward (play-by-play), Stephanie White (analyst) and Christy Winters Scott (reporter) will have the call for ESPN2.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Louisville Game Notes

Louisville is in the Sweet 16 for the fifth straight season, joining UConn, Stanford and South Carolina as the only four programs to accomplish that feat. This is their ninth Sweet 16 since 2011, which is tied for the fifth most appearances during that span. This is their 11th overall appearance in the Sweet 16, all under head coach Jeff Walz, and they are 6-4 all-time, winning their last three. UofL is 4-2 as higher seed in Sweet 16 games and 2-2 as lower seed.

Louisville is making its 24th NCAA Tournament appearance and 13th in 14 tournaments under Walz. The Cardinals are playing in their 11th straight NCAA Tournament. Louisville is 39-23 all-time. They were 4-11 in their first 11 appearances and are 35-12 in their 13 appearances with Walz. They have moved on to the Sweet 16 11 times, the Elite Eight six times, Final Four three times (2009, 2013, 2018) and twice advanced to the title game.

Tennessee is 25-8 on the year and went 11-5 in SEC play. They were 18-1 in their first 19 games and are 7-7 since. The Volunteers gave up a 14-point lead to Belmont on Monday night but held on late after Belmont missed a few crucial free throws to get to their first Sweet 16 since 2016. The Vols rank third nationally with 48.0 rebounds per game, fourth with a +12.6 rebounding margin and sixth with 5.7 blocked shots per game. The Vols struggle from deep, shooting just 30% from beyond the arc. Tamari Key became Tennessee’s all-time leading shot blocker in their win over Belmont and ranks second in the nation with 3.6 blocks per game. Her 3.7 offensive boards per game rank second in the SEC and 26th in the country. They have been without leading scorer Jordan Horston since Feb. 17.

Last edited:
While some of our fans may say we are playing with house money, and they are understandably satisfied our team got so far, under the circumstances, I guarantee you that is not how Kellie and this team will approach this game. They will be playing to win, so the pressure is still on, for them and for most of us.

While we talk about different players, got to remember that for Alexus and Rae, this tournament (not necessarily this game), is the last college ball they’ll play. Alexus shines in tournaments. She did at Troy, and she does for the Lady Vols. She’s getting a lot of time to showcase her talents for her future, too. Keep going Alexus!

For Rae, she wants to play her best for her team, and for her future also. Our team has now had some time to play and win with the players we now have, so that’s a good thing.

While we praised our team all year for the will to win against the odds, where do you think they learned that? Kellie is driven to succeed, and she instilled that same drive in her players, and that’s how they play.

So, if I were a betting person, I would never bet against the Lady Vols. Walz is not the x-factor, Kellie and her team is.

GO LADY VOLS!!!

Last edited:
I dare say all good coaches, and their managers, blackmail their schools. Let me know when
school ADs don't cut their coaches loose when they do not perform.
He had been let go if I remember correctly and was 60ish. We threw him a lifeline and he repaid it with the J Walz dance. Did not like it a bit. Success doesn’t negate that that was a crappy thing todo.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Louisville as a 1 seed I assume fully healthy, against UT without Horston alone baffles my mind the spread opened at 5.5. With Green and Horston I could see 5.5 as a point spread. Without those 2 that seems like easy money. Struggling with Buffalo and Belmont at home, playing a 1 seed next and the spread is only 7, started 5.5. What does Vegas know that I don't? I love my LV, but without Green and Horston UT is about to be spanked. UT got beat by Auburn and Alabama with those two players out. Why am I seeing some on here saying UT wins going away or if UT shoots well from the 3? UT in general doesn't shoot well from the 3. I would love to eat crow or Cardinal but UT has no chance giving Louisville a game without JH, not to mention Green. I just don't see UT being within 12 points much less 7.
Tennessee has nothing to lose because many believe as you do. Not to say the end result as you predict will not happen, however, I have to believe that the Lady Vols are aware how many feel about their chances. I hope Louisville feels the same way and they take us for granted. I hope we play like our backs are against the wall and we have no way out but to fight. We know how to play defense and Snoop is playing the best basketball of the year. We have the potential to pull the upset and I will not be surprised if that potential is not realized versus Louisville. Go Lady Vols!!!

Tennessee has nothing to lose because many believe as you do. Not to say the end result as you predict will not happen, however, I have to believe that the Lady Vols are aware how many feel about their chances. I hope Louisville feels the same way and they take us for granted. I hope we play like our backs are against the wall and we have no way out but to fight. We know how to play defense and Snoop is playing the best basketball of the year. We have the potential to pull the upset and I will not be surprised if that potential is not realized versus Louisville. Go Lady Vols!!!

If your enemy is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.

Engage people with what they expect; it is what they are able to discern and confirms their projections. It settles them into predictable patterns of response, occupying their minds while you wait for the extraordinary moment--that which they cannot anticipate.

Last edited:
I’m hoping Kelly decides to run at Louisville in waves. If they’re thin in rotation then press, harass, take the ball at them. Kelly’s got 9 she can run at them and some of those frosh players could be absolute nightmares for the Cards.

Do not repeat the tactics which have gained you one victory, but let your methods be regulated by the infinite variety of circumstances.

Attack him where he is unprepared; appear where you are not expected.

While some of our fans may say we are playing with house money, and they are understandably satisfied our team got so far, under the circumstances, I guarantee you that is not how Kellie and this team will approach this game. They will be playing to win, so the pressure is still on, for them and for most of us.

While we talk about different players, got to remember that for Alexus and Rae, this tournament (not necessarily this game), is the last college ball they’ll play. Alexus shines in tournaments. She did at Troy, and she does for the Lady Vols. She’s getting a lot of time to showcase her talents for her future, too. Keep going Alexus!

For Rae, she wants to play her best for her team, and for her future also. Our team has now had some time to play and win with the players we now have, so that’s a good thing.

While we praised our team all year for the will to win against the odds, where do you think they learned that? Kellie is driven to succeed, and she instilled that same drive in her players, and that’s how they play.

So, if I were a betting person, I would never bet against the Lady Vols. Walz is not the x-factor, Kellie and her team is.

GO LADY VOLS!!!
Love it!

Hailey Van Lith speaks. "We're The Bad News Bears".

I really don’t understand the analogy. I mean, the Bad News Bears were bad until Buttermaker came and helped them put it all together. I think maybe she meant the Bad Boy Pistons🤷🏾‍♀️. Anyway, hopefully we can play this over and over after we beat them today.

VN Store

Back