NCAAT Game Thread: Lady Vols vs Buffalo/Belmont

Well Dye needs to be on the floor all she can. As for the sign one is getting tired it is missing shots and lots of bending over when opportunity arises. Quite frankly we look slow overall at times, when we struggle we are usually standing around. And once dribble is picked up nobody is open and forced passes are more frequent. We must also box out better. Our biggest players did the worst job of boxing out many times against Belmont.

Yup. It's not personal against Kellie, but an example must be made...

With you it is always personal against Kellie and has been for over three years now. You have denigrated just about all things Lady Vol from administration to coaches to players to recruits during that period of time. All this from a wannabe Walz.

Not worried, Waltz's jumper is really inconsistent and he can't defend to save his life.....
Yeah but I'm assuming his memory is intact. Like of the many times its been said publicly that he's too immoral to coach here. Maybe he doesn't give a rat's ass about what LV hardliners think, but maybe he's been waiting for this for awhile.

The “X” factors are the officials and luck (assuming Louisville and Tenn play a close game). This is true for most close games. Example—

Puckett really stepped up and made a big shot but she was prepared for that so that is NOT what I am referring to.
The officials missed a couple fouls on Tennessee in the last couple minutes. Calling a jump ball when to me in slow motion it looked like the Belmont player was grabbed on the arm and the obvious missed call on Dye’s moving screen at the top of the key on the Puckett play. We got lucky when Belmont missed 3 out of their last 4 foul shots including 2 in a role by their best player. Belmont had time to set up a good play at the end but made a bad pass sending the ball out of bounds.

Point being let’s get a nice little lead of 7 or 8 points with a couple minutes to play and try to take bad luck and officials out of the equation. If we are behind, don’t give up!!! But I think we have learned that lesson this year.

The “X” factors are the officials and luck (assuming Louisville and Tenn play a close game). This is true for most close games. Example—

Puckett really stepped up and made a big shot but she was prepared for that so that is NOT what I am referring to.
The officials missed a couple fouls on Tennessee in the last couple minutes. Calling a jump ball when to me in slow motion it looked like the Belmont player was grabbed on the arm and the obvious missed call on Dye’s moving screen at the top of the key on the Puckett play. We got lucky when Belmont missed 3 out of their last 4 foul shots including 2 in a role by their best player. Belmont had time to set up a good play at the end but made a bad pass sending the ball out of bounds.

Point being let’s get a nice little lead of 7 or 8 points with a couple minutes to play and try to take bad luck and officials out of the equation. If we are behind, don’t give up!!! But I think we have learned that lesson this year.
If the officials missed a call against The Lady Vols, that's a first!!

Louisville as a 1 seed I assume fully healthy, against UT without Horston alone baffles my mind the spread opened at 5.5. With Green and Horston I could see 5.5 as a point spread. Without those 2 that seems like easy money. Struggling with Buffalo and Belmont at home, playing a 1 seed next and the spread is only 7, started 5.5. What does Vegas know that I don't? I love my LV, but without Green and Horston UT is about to be spanked. UT got beat by Auburn and Alabama with those two players out. Why am I seeing some on here saying UT wins going away or if UT shoots well from the 3? UT in general doesn't shoot well from the 3. I would love to eat crow or Cardinal but UT has no chance giving Louisville a game without JH, not to mention Green. I just don't see UT being within 12 points much less 7.

Reactions: Golf freak
I was thinking about how we should be the team with way less pressure on us than usual. I think there is incredible pressure on the LV players due to the history of greatness, the expectations, and at times not having the talent or experience to meet the expectations. We have accomplished what we needed to this year given the 4 major injuries, but Louisville now will be the one expected to win and eventually get to the Final 4. Lets play loose yet focused, together with one purpose, and leave it all on the court. Go Lady Vols.
This team kills me. All year long, when they have played teams they have been expected to beat, they have struggled. At the end of the game, they pour it on and manage to win. In teams that they are expected to lose to or struggle with, they play lights out and win. I expect them to do the same with Louisville. UT-65 Louisville-59

W
Louisville as a 1 seed I assume fully healthy, against UT without Horston alone baffles my mind the spread opened at 5.5. With Green and Horston I could see 5.5 as a point spread. Without those 2 that seems like easy money. Struggling with Buffalo and Belmont at home, playing a 1 seed next and the spread is only 7, started 5.5. What does Vegas know that I don't? I love my LV, but without Green and Horston UT is about to be spanked. UT got beat by Auburn and Alabama with those two players out. Why am I seeing some on here saying UT wins going away or if UT shoots well from the 3? UT in general doesn't shoot well from the 3. I would love to eat crow or Cardinal but UT has no chance giving Louisville a game without JH, not to mention Green. I just don't see UT being within 12 points much less 7.
What we have seen so far in the two rounds of March Madness is the penchant for the underdog to come away with the upset. Even with their injuries, I see the LVs beating Louisville. Time to select your side dishes to go along with your main course of crow. GBO.

Easy Peasy! Kind of a perfect game! Unfortunately, I'm not crazy about the chances that will happen But I'd love it for sure.

IMO the magic formula is a really good game from Rae and Puckett and/or Darby. Snoop keep on Post Season Snoopin'. Most of all, decent shooting and NO long scoring droughts.

An x factor against us may be a highly motivated Jeff Walz.

Why wouldn't he be motivated? It's the Sweet Sixteen? We will be motivated as well.

Yeah but I'm assuming his memory is intact. Like of the many times its been said publicly that he's too immoral to coach here. Maybe he doesn't give a rat's ass about what LV hardliners think, but maybe he's been waiting for this for awhile.

If he and Kellie were squaring off in the ring or the octagon, I could see how the grudge could come into play. I am sure Walz is very focused on advancing and getting back to the final 4. I don't think there is "extra" motivation that will suddenly take his coaching skills to some new stratospheric level.

Last edited:
Logically, your point is very valid…but stranger things have happened. We’re playing with house money, we have nothing to lose.

Game with no pressure were not supposed to win so if we do we get huge media attention and if we don't we go into the off season and try to get better. I just want to see a lot of defensive effort from this team one more time. I don't care if they all foul out we have to pressure the ball only way to win.

It’s quite clear, Dye, Key and Rae must perform good offensively to win. Defense must be intense. Force Louisville to shoot the 3 if possible. I say we play man to man. Create play opportunities for Tess and Sarah for shooting outside. I would love to see Jordan Walker drive to the paint more, maybe draw some fouls and get Louisville into foul trouble.

Game with no pressure were not supposed to win so if we do we get huge media attention and if we don't we go into the off season and try to get better. I just want to see a lot of defensive effort from this team one more time. I don't care if they all foul out we have to pressure the ball only way to win.

Yep. Would love to see them give the kind of effort they gave against South Carolina. Think that was the first game after Jordan's injury. We all expected SC to run the Lady Vols off the court. They were in that game for two quarters and part of the third. I remember our squad not being able to hit shots when both Boston and Cardoso were on the bench. Had they done so, it would've been much closer. Even with the loss, their fight was impressive. If they bring that same energy against Louisville and avoid long scoring droughts, it'll be a ball game.

As stated before, I can live with a competitive S16 finish for this group. GLV!

I don’t see this one being close. I hope I’m wrong.

Louisville is going to attack the passing lanes and use superior speed to crush us.

We may have a shot if we use motion well and actually knock down our inside shots, not miss bunnies.

But I have this game being 70-50 range

I don’t see this one being close. I hope I’m wrong.

Louisville is going to attack the passing lanes and use superior speed to crush us.

We may have a shot if we use motion well and actually knock down our inside shots, not miss bunnies.

But I have this game being 70-50 range

They are not that fast! We matchup in speed with this team. Belmont was a lot quicker.
I watched the game against Gonzaga. We can hang with them. Tamari should be able to have her way.
Snoop can guard Englester and Tamari can guard Cochran. I think we can hang with them.

They are not that fast! We matchup in speed with this team. Belmont was a lot quicker.
I watched the game against Gonzaga. We can hang with them. Tamari should be able to have her way.
Snoop can guard Englester and Tamari can guard Cochran. I think we can hang with them.
Who's guarding VanLith?

Who's guarding VanLith?

I suspect Burrell will mostly guard Van Lith. Which means we will see more Miles/Wynn than the last game to guard Hall/Smith with Walker.

Darby doesn’t have a very good defensive matchup for this game. Suspect she may not play quite as much.

Might even see a little bit of zone. They can shoot pretty well from 3 but Cochran is not an outside threat. We usually get burned by posts who can shoot the 3 if we try to go zone.

I suspect Burrell will mostly guard Van Lith. Which means we will see more Miles/Wynn than the last game to guard Hall/Smith with Walker.

Darby doesn’t have a very good defensive matchup for this game. Suspect she may not play quite as much.

Might even see a little bit of zone. They can shoot pretty well from 3 but Cochran is not an outside threat. We usually get burned by posts who can shoot the 3 if we try to go zone.

I believe Jordan will,Jordan defense has been good this tournament. All she needs to do is make vanlith go right. Rae will guard Smith. And I’m a little concerned with Darby this game. I believe Miles/Wynn will guard Hall.

I watched them play three times this season. I think they benefit greatly from hype and an average schedule. They can be had if we play to our stat line. If they get hot shooting, they can beat anyone so I'm hoping we play tough defense and value our possessions.

Not to get ahead of the narrative, but more out of historical curiosity:
When was the last time the Lady Vols were labeled a "cinderella" team in the tourney?

Reactions: krichunaka

VN Store

Back