NCAAT Game Thread: Lady Vols vs Buffalo/Belmont

Dye had just scored on at least two consecutive times down the court and was hot yet took her out and sat her on the bench.This has happened several times this year when a player has been hot as heck and is taken out of the game.....it has been a trend imo and I just have a hard time with some of the substitution patterns......fact is the LV's have been leading in several games when such subs have been made only to lose the lead and subsequently the game.I understand it if the player asks to come out because of fatigue but in most of the cases I have observed there was no indication of same......course I am not there on the court and could have missed the tell tell indications of being tired .

Many fans have questioned Kellie’s substitution patterns before Dye arrived in Knoxville. My main question is why our guards guard the drive on teams that aren’t really planning on taking it in the paint against TK but looking to draw the defense for kickouts. It works every time. Guard the line and let them drive away. It leads to so many open 3s.

Dye needs to be on the floor as much as possible. I am worried about our reaction time and moving with out the ball. We look like molasses sometimes out there. We need more movement better passing and playing under control. We have to box out better and lay off the dribbling in the paint keep the ball high and go strong to the basket. We have to up our game in all phases to win this one. And please don’t come into this thing uptight, come inspired and willing to give maximum effort. GBO

Dye can't be on the floor as much as we would like her to due to her asthma. We all have wondered why she looks so winded out there despite seeming to be in such good shape, so when I recently hear on a broadcast that her asthma gets bad under extended play it made a lot of sense to me. It seemed like she mentioned at times she can work through this, but apparently not always. Note: Sorry that I didn't scroll and see someone had already mentioned this.

horston will see team doctor before trip to sweetsixteen . kellie and team should know if horston can play. nobody else will know until ladys pricatice there. no inside info just hoping.

I just haven't seen someone be out with a serious injury for over a month without practicing with the team and then have a couple of days of practice and be effective against a great team. Perhaps if she could have just one role, say rebounding or defending one player, and then stick to that for a few minutes interspersed in the game it could be helpful. She already loses her focus sometimes by wanting to do too much for the team, and there is no way she can even try to be our everything given the current circumstances.

I just haven't seen someone be out with a serious injury for over a month without practicing with the team and then have a couple of days of practice and be effective against a great team. Perhaps if she could have just one role, say rebounding or defending one player, and then stick to that for a few minutes interspersed in the game it could be helpful. She already loses her focus sometimes by wanting to do too much for the team, and there is no way she can even try to be our everything given the current circumstances.

Yeah, I'm thinking if she gets in AT ALL it'll be a brief "tryout" to see more where she is mentally than physically. If she's cleared to play then she's cleared -- the physical part should be okay. But Kellie's gonna want to see if she's mentally ready to go against an opponent who isn't being super careful not to touch or grab that arm like her teammates will have done if she has worked out in practice.

We can worry about stats and analyze the possible outcome, however, if the ladies guard the three, hit the boards on both sides of the ball, do not make a lot of unforced errors, play good defense, shoot the ball in the mid 40% or higher, have an unusual good day shooting free throws and keep their heads in the game they can beat any team in the sweet 16. On paper Louisville is a better team, but so was Baylor compared to South Dakota, so was Oregon compared to Belmont, etc. Louisville know that on paper they are better than the Lady Vols, but that is on paper. Paper does no measure want to and the ability to dig deep down inside and the ability to leave it all out on the floor. We are the underdogs and we must prove that we have a lot of fight within ourselves. This team has what it takes to come out of this game with a win. Go Lady Vols.

We can worry about stats and analyze the possible outcome, however, if the ladies guard the three, hit the boards on both sides of the ball, do not make a lot of unforced errors, play good defense, shoot the ball in the mid 40% or higher, have an unusual good day shooting free throws and keep their heads in the game they can beat any team in the sweet 16. On paper Louisville is a better team, but so was Baylor compared to South Dakota, so was Oregon compared to Belmont, etc. Louisville know that on paper they are better than the Lady Vols, but that is on paper. Paper does no measure want to and the ability to dig deep down inside and the ability to leave it all out on the floor. We are the underdogs and we must prove that we have a lot of fight within ourselves. This team has what it takes to come out of this game with a win. Go Lady Vols.
i watch south dakota beat baylor . they played has a team work ball around for open shots. if tenn share ball like first game of sec turnment tenn would win for sure.

tenn lady vol facebook: were sending the team off in style thursday 9:30 a.m.beneath pratt pavilion parking available g10 garage . all fans welcome to wish them good luck . miss sendoff thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Remy and chuckiepoo
Louisville barely beat Miami by three the first time they played, and lost by two in the ACC tournament. So whatever it is that Miami did well to beat them is what I'd like to find out.

Earlier today I watched the highlights of their game vs Miami in the ACC tournament. With eight minutes left in the 4th quarter, Louisville had a 16 point lead and blew it down the stretch. Same thing happened at NC State. Miami got back in that game by hitting threes and executing all the way down to the shot that won them the game at the final buzzer.

I don’t think we can afford to get down double digits being that we’re not a strong 3pt shooting team. Gonna be important to get off to a great start and find a way to keep the pace.

Louisville has had 3 or 4 games where the other team came back from a big deficit. NC State came back from a pretty big deficit to win. Just a guess but maybe they don't respond well when the other team (if behind) starts pressing more in the 4th quarter.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
We can worry about stats and analyze the possible outcome, however, if the ladies guard the three, hit the boards on both sides of the ball, do not make a lot of unforced errors, play good defense, shoot the ball in the mid 40% or higher, have an unusual good day shooting free throws and keep their heads in the game they can beat any team in the sweet 16
Easy Peasy! Kind of a perfect game! Unfortunately, I'm not crazy about the chances that will happen But I'd love it for sure.

IMO the magic formula is a really good game from Rae and Puckett and/or Darby. Snoop keep on Post Season Snoopin'. Most of all, decent shooting and NO long scoring droughts.

An x factor against us may be a highly motivated Jeff Walz.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Earlier today I watched the highlights of their game vs Miami in the ACC tournament. With eight minutes left in the 4th quarter, Louisville had a 16 point lead and blew it down the stretch. Same thing happened at NC State. Miami got back in that game by hitting threes and executing all the way down to the shot that won them the game at the final buzzer.

I don’t think we can afford to get down double digits being that we’re not a strong 3pt shooting team. Gonna be important to get off to a great start and find a way to keep the pace.

Hmmmmmm, okay. So they may have a tendency to tighten up in the fourth quarter if their opponent doesn't lay down. Good to know, because if you saw it, our staff saw it, and that'll give our players extra mental ammo in the 4th.

I have not posted in this thread, stayed away from it, there are some on this site that would love to twist anything I say tbh. But I am gonna shoot a straight arrow here like I always do, I never shoot sideways even when it brings me expected grief here because I am an outsider.

So in a few words, UT will likely lose the game versus Louisville, maybe even big loss.

But…..I have watched the LV’s all year, only missed a few of their games. There is a chance…Key has to be big in this game though, and absolutely Rae has to be her best. Dye and the others will play well as they have all tourney, but if the LV are to win, Key and Rae have to play like the All American types they are on their best days, because Louisville is deep and fast, and very talented,

But…if Key and Rae are on their best…then maybe, and I will enjoy rooting for the LV’s in this game knowing it’s not decided yet.

Nothing is decided yet, ask Baylor, ask Iowa.

I will be rooting for UT to take down Louisville, and I believe there is a chance if the LV’s are clicking on all cylinders literally, but it’s really about Key and Rae and how they play, here is to hoping those two have killer games, because if they do anything is possible.

Last edited:

Old timers (not me of course), will remember Willis Reed for the New York Knicks against the Lakers in game 7. Reed came out and played just a few minutes on one leg but scored a bucket and grabbed a few rebounds; the emotional lift carried NY to victory. I would guess you can do even more with one arm than one leg.

Willis Reed Game: Revisiting Knicks' legendary 1970 NBA title

Easy Peasy! Kind of a perfect game! Unfortunately, I'm not crazy about the chances that will happen But I'd love it for sure.

IMO the magic formula is a really good game from Rae and Puckett and/or Darby. Snoop keep on Post Season Snoopin'. Most of all, decent shooting and NO long scoring droughts.

An x factor against us may be a highly motivated Jeff Walz.

Not worried, Waltz's jumper is really inconsistent and he can't defend to save his life.....

VN Store

Back