NCAA's Emmert: It is time to decentralize college sports

For me, and it just one man's opinion, the NCAA does a whole lot of good even with all of the dysfunction.

First of all, I'll just throw out there that every institution competes in 20 sports. I know that's not the case, but it's a nice round number.

Right off the bat, the NCAA is overseeing 18 of 20 sports that aren't profitable at the D1 level, and virtually all sports at the FCS, DII, and DIII levels. For the most part, no one has an issue with the NCAA and their oversight over women's golf or men's tennis.

So, we are talking about football and men's basketball at the D1 level and more specifically a select few athletic programs that rake in the cash in football and men's basketball. Montana basketball, not a problem.

And we have tarred and feathered the NCAA because of those few programs. As if those institutions don't choose to be a part of then NCAA or are somehow forced to be in the NCAA.

College athletics has always been a rob Peter to pay Paul operation sucking as much money out of the profitable sports to pay for the non-profitable sports.

The NCAA has done what they've been asked to do over the years which is to give the appearance to the public that collegiate athletics is an amateur venture and that those who are competing are truly student-athletes who belong at an institution of higher learning while also pursuing academic excellence in their spare time.

And we've winked and nodded knowing the reality because of the alternative and now we've opened Pandora's box.

And it's my belief that the NCAA will go away and something new will take place and believe it or not, we'll miss the NCAA.

I actually agree with you on this one.

Last edited:
Again, I was specifically respond to a post that suggested that UT should decide to simply ignore the NCAA. Since UT claimed that Pruitt was fired because he put the program at risk of Level I or II sanctions, if they have the ability to simply ignore the sanctions, how could Pruitt put them at risk? What Pruitt's staff are alleged to have done is still not legal per the NCAA, and no recent decisions have changed that.

Dang.. I guess they wanted him gone because the product he put on the field was sucking pretty bad. Agree?

I'm going to make a prediction that will be very unpopular.

People will discover in the coming years that the NCAA was not nearly as evil as everyone has made them out to be.
I have to disagree. Have much respect for you. The simple fact goin back to sabans early years of bama where it was obvious new recruits driven new escalades & clemson players flashin 10k on social media while no investigation ever took place. There are tons more examples. The ncaa is a complete joke. They hammer who they want & others turn blind eye

I have to disagree. Have much respect for you. The simple fact goin back to sabans early years of bama where it was obvious new recruits driven new escalades & clemson players flashin 10k on social media while no investigation ever took place. There are tons more examples. The ncaa is a complete joke. They hammer who they want & others turn blind eye

I thought Bama players got Dodge Chargers.

Also look at cam newton debacle. There was obvious something going on. No action from ncaa

Reactions: Samthebam
I have said for years the power 5 needs to break away from the NCAA altogether. The NCAA is a corrupt welfare system that helps lower division schools make money and keep athletic programs at the expense of the bigger schools. Those schools have not earned that right. So sick of schools like UCF whining cause they aren’t in the playoffs. Do away with corrupt conference commissioners and have one commissioner and assistant commissioners (one per conference) in one office overseeing the Power 5 schools. Have their own playoffs and basketball etc tournaments consisting of power 5 only. Finally force Notre Dame to join a conference or they can stay lower division in the NCAA.

Reactions: beachvol23
I'm going to make a prediction that will be very unpopular.

People will discover in the coming years that the NCAA was not nearly as evil as everyone has made them out to be.
Once Saban retires someone will come forward with a book/investigation on how Saban and Bama ran cheating schemes with the full knowledge of Emmert who looked the other way when complaints were made by other schools. All those recruits getting cars and cash at Bama. That is just the tip of the iceberg. I disagree Emmert has covered for Bama and basketball blue bloods (UNC/Duke) since he has been at the NCAA. Thanks to their selective enforcement for many decades the NCAA is evil and corrupt.

Reactions: strongtower
I have said for years the power 5 needs to break away from the NCAA altogether. The NCAA is a corrupt welfare system that helps lower division schools make money and keep athletic programs at the expense of the bigger schools. Those schools have not earned that right. So sick of schools like UCF whining cause they aren’t in the playoffs. Do away with corrupt conference commissioners and have one commissioner and assistant commissioners (one per conference) in one office overseeing the Power 5 schools. Have their own playoffs and basketball etc tournaments consisting of power 5 only. Finally force Notre Dame to join a conference or they can stay lower division in the NCAA.
Pandora box is open now. Ncaa is irrelevant. I want at least top 10-12 playoff. Better than these bowl games we’ve seen for decades. Always wanted to see what the old boise teams could really do. Heck OK was supposed to destroy them & they pulled 1 of greatest trick plays i ever seen in college football to beat them. I’m gonna get blasted who cares pandora is open its now a free for all let them play

Hes a Guru

😜

I now live in Alabama, these people actually believe that

They’re in for an interesting treat when a 30 for 30 come out a few years after he retires… The NCAA response: “We’ve been testing pay for play for years now. The University of Alabama was just one of our pilot programs.” See? It’s totally cool, you guys!

Once Saban retires someone will come forward with a book/investigation on how Saban and Bama ran cheating schemes with the full knowledge of Emmert who looked the other way when complaints were made by other schools. All those recruits getting cars and cash at Bama. That is just the tip of the iceberg. I disagree Emmert has covered for Bama and basketball blue bloods (UNC/Duke) since he has been at the NCAA. Thanks to their selective enforcement for many decades the NCAA is evil and corrupt.

Why would the other schools just put up with it? If Indianapolis won't act, why not go public? There are no laws against it.

Reactions: beachvol23
Why would the other schools just put up with it? If Indianapolis won't act, why not go public? There are no laws against it.
Because sadly all schools cheat to some degree. They go public. Emmert does an investigation and Bama is clean or gets a wrist slap but the school who initiated the claim against Bama gets nailed. You may ask why Emmert goes to great lengths to cover for Bama ? Because he owes Saban. When Emmert and Saban were at LSU there was an academic scandal that Saban helped Emmert cover up. That not only saved Emmert’s career but Saban helped him get the the NCAA job. Bama has had the perfect set up for cheating since Saban arrived. A puppet running the NCAA, a puppet running the SEC, and it doesn’t hurt having former Bama grads managing the referees and replays In Birmingham.

Because sadly all schools cheat to some degree. They go public. Emmert does an investigation and Bama is clean or gets a wrist slap but the school who initiated the claim against Bama gets nailed. You may ask why Emmert goes to great lengths to cover for Bama ? Because he owes Saban. When Emmert and Saban were at LSU there was an academic scandal that Saban helped Emmert cover up. That not only saved Emmert’s career but Saban helped him get the the NCAA job. Bama has had the perfect set up for cheating since Saban arrived. A puppet running the NCAA, a puppet running the SEC, and it doesn’t hurt having former Bama grads managing the referees and replays In Birmingham.

Wow. So Bama is untouchable because all of the other schools are also crooked? If I were a fan of another SEC team, that would definitely make me feel better about my favored team's ineptitude.

As lovers of college sports... this may be medicine we don't want to take.... but sports for entertainment are NOT requisite to the mission of our colleges and universities. It very well could be that some programs that now exist do not need to exist. If each football scholarship at TTU would convert to 5 academic scholarships... which is the proper use of resources? An athlete who is great at tennis can go to college and participate in some other amateur or semi-pro type of organization. There is no rule saying they should get free college out of it.

The NCAA either needs to go away or else pull member institutions into tightly binding legal agreements to abide by the rules. Their adjudication of issues should be consistent and timely. Violations of the rules should result in certain legal penalties. When errors are made or violations are found by the schools themselves, self-reporters should get lighter punishment for 1st offences than those who engage in cover ups.

The politics and money create motives that destroy the NCAA's credibility.

Reactions: Samthebam
Wow. So Bama is untouchable because all of the other schools are also crooked? If I were a fan of another SEC team, that would definitely make me feel better about my favored team's ineptitude.
Yes and no to answer your question. Bama is untouchable because Power 5 AD’s and Presidents are lazy and refused to take a stand and fire Emmert. As far as going after Bama they have a mafia like organization outside the school that would have no problem going after anyone who comes after their program. Especially from an SEC school. Ask Hugh Freeze ? I have seen their organization back in the 80-90’s. I used to call on one of their big donors. It exists from paying recruits to threatening people who come after them.

So basically when it comes to other schools as long as they make money they don’t care to rock the boat. Emmert should have been fired a decade ago ? Same with Slive and his clown Sankey. Getting the SEC office out of Birmingham would help a lot.

Emmert is a place holder, and a figure head at this point. It works out beat for both. Nobody else wants the job, and emmert still holds clout with college basketball, which he values more then other sports. His priority will probably be negotiations with money deals at this point.

The NCAA either needs to go away or else pull member institutions into tightly binding legal agreements to abide by the rules. Their adjudication of issues should be consistent and timely. Violations of the rules should result in certain legal penalties. When errors are made or violations are found by the schools themselves, self-reporters should get lighter punishment for 1st offences than those who engage in cover ups.

The politics and money create motives that destroy the NCAA's credibility.

The NCAA is the schools. They aren't some separate body like a country club. The agreements are only as effective as the schools want them to be.

or else pull member institutions into tightly binding legal agreements to abide by the rules. Their adjudication of issues should be consistent and timely. Violations of the rules should result in certain legal penalties.

That is what they have now
, which is unlawful, unenforceable and let's be honest criminal in nature.

That is what they have now, which is unlawful, unenforceable and let's be honest criminal in nature.
Why do you persist in such ignorance? Really. There have been times when you were one of the more reasonable guys here.

MOST court rulings are followed by armies of lawyers finding a way to comply with the ruling while achieving the desired end. Over the course of my career I have seen this happen constantly with things like OSHA and environmental law. The past agreement being "unlawful and unenforceable" does not mean that there is no way to create a "lawful and enforceable" agreement.

And no... it was not "criminal in intent, nature, or outcome". There is nothing "criminal" about people agreeing to a set of principles and obligations and then engaging in free association with one another based on that agreement.

VN Store

Back