NCAA's Emmert: It is time to decentralize college sports

If the UTAD doesn’t walk away from this then they’re still incompetent. The NCAA is now neutered and we shouldn’t recognize any of their penalties. I hope the UTAD realizes that now.

I wouldn't discount that is the rub now.

School: Hey, those rules are unlawful and unenforceable.
Coaches: You mean the rules you used to terminate $15-20m of contracts?

Reactions: SockeyeVol
I wouldn't discount that is the rub now.

School: Hey, those rules are unlawful and unenforceable.
Coaches: You mean the rules you used to terminate $15-20m of contracts?

In light of a new Supreme Court ruling we reserve the right to not punish ourselves for something that is allowed. ;)

Tennessee needs to tell NCAA to kick rocks and move on. Plowman end this investigation and allow present staff to move on as they are being penalized presently by pruitt and his previous goons cheating ways. Those guys have been booted.

Wouldn't that mean they have to pay the previous staff's buyouts?

Man, did you just abbreviate a 4-letter acronym to a 2-letter acronym plus the ' in front?

You're going to risk sounding totally goofy and possibly being misunderstood, all to save one single keystroke? :)

My real name is Bartholomew, but my friends just call me Bartholeme for short.

Heh.
Thanks for adding anything intelligent to the conversation!

Wouldn't that mean they have to pay the previous staff's buyouts?
Not necessarily! The school can self impose shallow penalties and demonstrate swift corrective action was taken at the time of the old rules and due to recent developments, no other punishment is warranted, case closed.

Reactions: HalfullVol
Not necessarily! The school can self impose shallow penalties and demonstrate swift corrective action was taken at the time of the old rules and due to recent developments, no other punishment is warranted, case closed.

But, if the school can unilaterally decide not to participate in the NCAA's investigative process or (as suggested in the post I quoted) tell the NCAA to "kick rocks" then they were never at any legitimate risk of NCAA penalties. If they weren't at risk of NCAA penalties, then the cause for which Pruitt was fired never actually existed.

But, if the school can unilaterally decide not to participate in the NCAA's investigative process or (as suggested in the post I quoted) tell the NCAA to "kick rocks" then they were never at any legitimate risk of NCAA penalties. If they weren't at risk of NCAA penalties, then the cause for which Pruitt was fired never actually existed.
Not true.

The show cause does not have to be based on Pruitt violating NCAA rules. It can be based on him failing to meet other University requirements, such as one or more elements of his contract.

I'm going to make a prediction that will be very unpopular.

People will discover in the coming years that the NCAA was not nearly as evil as everyone has made them out to be.

Not true.

The show cause does not have to be based on Pruitt violating NCAA rules. It can be based on him failing to meet other University requirements, such as one or more elements of his contract.

The termination letter said the firing was all about the NCAA.

Not true.

Which are most likely based on him or others violating the NCAA rules that are unlawful and unenforceable, in which, the University is involved in committing antitrust violations with the NCAA as a member. This is mostly likely why you won't see schools say much about what is going on with the NCAA, they're liable as well. Let's be honest, the schools (including Tennessee) are involved in unlawful and criminal acts. They fire a coach for violating the rules which are the unlawful/criminal acts to start with. Its very possible that the coaches could sue under antitrust law as well, although I am not saying that will happen.

Next, the NCAA (and member schools) are going to say they really didn't restrict commerce at all and there is no such thing as amateur. LOL Right now the lawyers are telling the NCAA they can't win, some of the conferences knew this was all coming in January.

Hubbs said yesterday Tennessee will most likely self report within 8 weeks and is not sure if it will or will not include a bowl ban. TIFWIW. Also pointed out other schools, Louisville LSU etc never even complied with the NCAA investigation whereas UT has been open the whole time, and neither of those schools have been punished to this very day.

Emmert was Chancellor at LSU between 1999-2004. He hired Saban as well. Nothing is going to happen to LSU.

P
If the UTAD doesn’t walk away from this then they’re still incompetent. The NCAA is now neutered and we shouldn’t recognize any of their penalties. I hope the UTAD realizes that now.
Tony basilio said the same thing on his show. Let the ncaa take us to court. They'll back quickly

Emmert was Chancellor at LSU between 1999-2004. He hired Saban as well. Nothing is going to happen to LSU.

I could go either way with Wade, it wouldn't surprise me. However, nothing is going to happen to Wade even if he admitted it in a signed and notarized confession and than said it live in video.

What Wade might have done, if true was simply broke an unlawful NCAA rule. What the NCAA (and member schools) have been doing are actually criminal acts. The NCAA (and its member schools) are in deep and have no real play right now.

Wade is either clean or the best poker player ever at this kind of level, either way... he's played into a Royal Flush.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
The termination letter said the firing was all about the NCAA.
Pruitt had it in his contract that failure to comply with the NCAA rules were grounds for termination. He didn't comply. I never heard him make a press statement saying, "I don't see what's wrong, these rules won't exist next year". You can probably find a case where somebody was busted for weed the day before it became legal in one of those places, or the guy in France on 11/11/18 that got killed at 10:55, 5 minutes before the armistice. I don't think Pruitt gets a mulligan here, just because of this breaking news.

Pruitt had it in his contract that failure to comply with the NCAA rules were grounds for termination. He didn't comply. I never heard him make a press statement saying, "I don't see what's wrong, these rules won't exist next year". You can probably find a case where somebody was busted for weed the day before it became legal in one of those places, or the guy in France on 11/11/18 that got killed at 10:55, 5 minutes before the armistice. I don't think Pruitt gets a mulligan here, just because of this breaking news.

Again, I was specifically respond to a post that suggested that UT should decide to simply ignore the NCAA. Since UT claimed that Pruitt was fired because he put the program at risk of Level I or II sanctions, if they have the ability to simply ignore the sanctions, how could Pruitt put them at risk? What Pruitt's staff are alleged to have done is still not legal per the NCAA, and no recent decisions have changed that.

But Nick Saban really is a good coach you guyz!

Site Administrator WARNING: Mentioning any coach other than the current UT Coach could result in the automatic deletion of your profile, history, and UT Fan Card. Don't make us say it again. 🙄😉

Pruitt had it in his contract that failure to comply with the NCAA rules were grounds for termination. He didn't comply. I never heard him make a press statement saying, "I don't see what's wrong; these rules won't exist next year." You can probably find a case where somebody was busted for weed the day before it became legal in one of those places, or the guy in France on 11/11/18 that got killed at 10:55, 5 minutes before the armistice. I don't think Pruitt gets a mulligan here just because of this breaking news.

Because his head and eyebrow attracted microwave signals, he claims medical conditions that caused him to act out of character and should not be held accountable. Plus, there was mention of removing a "device" from his cranium that was placed there during his time at Bama. He thought they were removing a potential skin cancer lesion, so he has this going for him.

Reactions: ptcarter
I'm going to make a prediction that will be very unpopular.

People will discover in the coming years that the NCAA was not nearly as evil as everyone has made them out to be.
Evil? I wouldn’t say so.

Dysfunctional, inconsistent, insincere, self-serving… all great adjectives to describe the NCAA now-a-days, wouldn’t you say?

Evil? I wouldn’t say so.

Dysfunctional, inconsistent, insincere, self-serving… all great adjectives to describe the NCAA now-a-days, wouldn’t you say?

For me, and it just one man's opinion, the NCAA does a whole lot of good even with all of the dysfunction.

First of all, I'll just throw out there that every institution competes in 20 sports. I know that's not the case, but it's a nice round number.

Right off the bat, the NCAA is overseeing 18 of 20 sports that aren't profitable at the D1 level, and virtually all sports at the FCS, DII, and DIII levels. For the most part, no one has an issue with the NCAA and their oversight over women's golf or men's tennis.

So, we are talking about football and men's basketball at the D1 level and more specifically a select few athletic programs that rake in the cash in football and men's basketball. Montana basketball, not a problem.

And we have tarred and feathered the NCAA because of those few programs. As if those institutions don't choose to be a part of then NCAA or are somehow forced to be in the NCAA.

College athletics has always been a rob Peter to pay Paul operation sucking as much money out of the profitable sports to pay for the non-profitable sports.

The NCAA has done what they've been asked to do over the years which is to give the appearance to the public that collegiate athletics is an amateur venture and that those who are competing are truly student-athletes who belong at an institution of higher learning while also pursuing athletic excellence in their spare time.

And we've winked and nodded knowing the reality because of the alternative and now we've opened Pandora's box.

And it's my belief that the NCAA will go away and something new will take place and believe it or not, we'll miss the NCAA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samthebam

VN Store

Back