NCAA Will Hammer VOLS

I have no use for the NCAA. They are inconsistent, sometimes vindictive, and appear to be influenced by the school's reputation or the amount of money the school generates for them.

So, I will tell you two things I think: (1) If there was that much paying of players, by the head coach and the other coaches, Tennessee is going to be in a heap of trouble, as the NCAA will want to make an example of them. (2) BUT, do not ever think you can figure out what the NCAA is going to do based on either precedent or logic. What I said in (1) could be completely flipped around, just because you can never tell what they are going to do.

But if I were a betting person, and there actually are 51 violations, I would bet a good chunk of money on Tennessee getting hammered by the NCAA.

I agree with this 100%. If this was going on at Bama, LSU (which, it is, but they haven't been caught), or another favored school with the NCAA, self-imposed sanctions may work. I don't think they are going to let a school skate with direct payments from coaches to players. I lived through the Ole Miss investigation and the violations and "pay for play" was much more tame (loaner cars, letting a recruit use hunting land, letting a recruit sleep on a couch, etc.)--everyone was fired and OM received lack of institutional control, loss of scholarships and bowl bans. Even though the NCAA is inconsistent and arbitrary, those penalties are an almost absolute certainty for UT given what we know.

If the NCAA really wants to get you, they will get you, and I don't think UT helped themselves here. Ask Ole Miss how cooperation with the NCAA went. Hint: it did not mitigate the penalties at all. The one good thing is Pruitt has an incentive to not cooperate with the NCAA as he just wants to get paid from UT & wants to have the option to coach in the SEC again. He doesn't want to admit to all these violations when he is about to sue UT for his money claiming he had no idea this was going on, or openly admit to cheating to the NCAA where he will get a show cause and/or be blackballed.

Unfortunately, the people who are going to get hammered are the innocent players and coaches remaining on the team.

200w.gif

I agree with this 100%. If this was going on at Bama, LSU (which, it is, but they haven't been caught), or another favored school with the NCAA, self-imposed sanctions may work. I don't think they are going to let a school skate with direct payments from coaches to players. I lived through the Ole Miss investigation and the violations and "pay for play" was much more tame (loaner cars, letting a recruit use hunting land, letting a recruit sleep on a couch, etc.)--everyone was fired and OM received lack of institutional control, loss of scholarships and bowl bans. Even though the NCAA is inconsistent and arbitrary, those penalties are an almost absolute certainty for UT given what we know.

If the NCAA really wants to get you, they will get you, and I don't think UT helped themselves here. Ask Ole Miss how cooperation with the NCAA went. Hint: it did not mitigate the penalties at all. The one good thing is Pruitt has an incentive to not cooperate with the NCAA as he just wants to get paid from UT & wants to have the option to coach in the SEC again. He doesn't want to admit to all these violations when he is about to sue UT for his money claiming he had no idea this was going on, or openly admit to cheating to the NCAA where he will get a show cause and/or be blackballed.
I think we will get some lose of s+holarships and a bowl ban. I don’t think we we will get“leveled” by the NCAA. I also think that since we cleaned house from the top down, will be considered as a plus for the new Staff. We removed 11 people from our program and I am unaware of that many people loosing the jobs after a self investigation. We will know how the NCAA reacts when we learn of what Tennessee recommends for it punishment.

Keep in mind that is all yet to be confirmed. If one player got paid 51 times? Ok. Keep in mind the NCAA has it's plate full with the FBI thing and multiple institutions that have circled the wagons and refused to cooperate.
Yes. All of us are working on "what we've heard" but going from Plowman and Boyd agreeing that they were shocked at the extent of issue and the firing of the entire recruiting office, something I've never heard of before, I felt as I watched them then and I feel now that this ran deep and had lasted awhile.

Also, the difficulty we're having attracting coaches tells me there must be a view out there among people with a better perspective than me that Tennessee is about to get hit pretty hard.

As for the NCAA, I wish they'd get it over with because the longer it hangs over us, the more it hurts recruiting, coaching searches, and really everything about the program.

Yes. All of us are working on "what we've heard" but going from Plowman and Boyd agreeing that they were shocked at the extent of issue and the firing of the entire recruiting office, something I've never heard of before, I felt as I watched them then and I feel now that this ran deep and had lasted awhile.

Also, the difficulty we're having attracting coaches tells me there must be a view out there among people with a better perspective than me that Tennessee is about to get hit pretty hard.

As for the NCAA, I wish they'd get it over with because the longer it hangs over us, the more it hurts recruiting, coaching searches, and really everything about the program.
I'm weighing that on how bad they wanted to get rid of Pruitt. I'm afraid this could drag out. UT could self impose but I wouldn't if I were them. The attrition and 25 yearly scholly limit is going to slow down the rebuild.

I'm weighing that on how bad they wanted to get rid of Pruitt. I'm afraid this could drag out. UT could self impose but I wouldn't if I were them. The attrition and 25 yearly scholly limit is going to slow down the rebuild.
I know there's a lot of "bash the NCAA" feeling in this but this was a tough situation after Mims started talking at GA. At that point, it's out in the SEC and there's TN blood in the water already.... the NCAA had to get involved or any NCAA team could use it as leverage against them.

Mims talking also forced UT to investigate or face certain NCAA "failure to oversee" issues. The avalanche started there.

I dislike going after young athletes but I'll point at Mims. I don't care if they bought you your first liquor, first hooker, first bit of blow, or a brand new Dodge....... STFU.

From your daughter, from Dorsey, from someone he knows, from the DawgVent, from a Tennessee booster. Okay.
One of the five sources might be right, but no one knows at this point - just speculation. One thing, though, is I hope anyone involved in UT’s alleged wrong-doing should be show-caused for life!

VN Store

Back