NCAA Will Hammer VOLS

I'm fine with that. Purge the whole place of anyone associated with the program. Take our punishment and let's move forward.

From Dorsey - long - that he sent me from someone he knows!

From the DawgVent, guy says his buddy is a big Tenn booster who gave this info. Nothing earth-shattering or completely new, but a plausible summary.

Background Anecdote
A Vol beat writer (I’m leaving his name out) became a friend of Pruitt’s, who apparently had very few in Knoxville. A year or so back, he went to a golf tournament in Georgia with Pruitt and on the way back, Pruitt stopped at a bank to make a huge withdrawal. They and dropped it off with a contact to make direct payments throughout Georgia. Pruitt was paying these kids out of his own pocket in many instances. Beat writer obviously didn’t care too much, but was at pretty shocked at how brazen the Vols were being about. This story was told to my buddy by the writer.

Pay-for-Play

Niedermeyer and Pruitt were the ones paying players directly. Niedermeyer got sloppy and gave Brian Maurer his credit card to take recruits to a strip club. Brian got drunk and left the card there, so receipts were sent to Athletics to ensure they got paid.

News of the pay for play issues came out during TA&M week. To-oto-o and Eric Gray were told to to sit by compliance, but Pruitt said to hell with it, didn’t care about the compliance staff, and let them play. Pruitt laughed off compliance on multiple occasions apparently.

The reason the investigation happened is that Trey Smith's (OL) sister Ashley Smith, who is an Asst. AD for UT, heard a discussion between players and Niedermeyer about cash and informed a compliance officer. That officer had been getting **** on by Pruitt for not sitting players and heading warnings, so the officer went directly to Chancellor Donde instead of Pruitt or Fulmer, because Fulmer was also complicit. Donde proactively brought in the outside firm to try to mitigate the damage.

Fulmer was the confidential informant on Bama in 1995 which lead to their probation. This is why Bama has such intense disdain for Fulmer over everybody else. It's also this knowledge that lead UT to let him retire so they could pay his $1MM to keep his mouth shut.

UT has been trying to get Pruitt for cause since early in the season. They were trying to get him for not following COVID protocols, but couldn’t get anything to stick. Tee Martin leaked the investigation to the press because he hates Pruitt…context, Tee Martin was forced on Pruitt by Fulmer. Martin doesn’t actually coach, he just recruits and hangs out with players. He didn’t even show up to his first coaching meeting, and was found in his office asleep with Netflix on in the background. LOL. Pruitt hates him, and Tee hates Pruitt. Tee saw a chance to stick it to Pruitt in the public eye and did.

There have now been 50+ known major violations verified and rising.

Vols gonna get hammered
You lost me right away at "From the DawgVent". That is the last place you would find valid information regarding an ongoing internal investigation into NCAA rules violations involving the University of Tennessee football program. I also find the assertion that Pruitt was paying recruits cash out of his own personal checking account hard to swallow. If you find that to be in any way "plausible", then you probably still believe in Santa, the tooth fairy, the Easter bunny... etc.

You don't think we are gonna get hammered? Get your head out of the sand son.
Tennessee will not be hammered, because they will not be cited for a lack of institutional control. The harshest penalties from these violations will be for the individual coaches involved. There will be some show cause restrictions handed down. At worst, I would expect a one year bowl ban, possibly 6-8 scholarships taken away over a 3 year period, with a 5 year term of probation. The NCAA could even accept the penalties that Tennessee self-imposes, and then the punishment would be even less than that. That is the reality over the last 10 years. Show me an example of a major college football program getting "hammered" when a lack of institutional control wasn't cited.... We are self-reporting these violations. The administration has promoted an atmosphere of compliance with their actions since November. You can't prove otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: preacherwebb
Tennessee will not be hammered, because they will not be cited for a lack of institutional control. The harshest penalties from these violations will be for the individual coaches involved. There will be some show cause restrictions handed down. At worst, I would expect a one year bowl ban, possibly 6-8 scholarships taken away over a 3 year period, with a 5 year term of probation. The NCAA could even accept the penalties that Tennessee self-imposes, and then the punishment would be even less than that. That is the reality over the last 10 years. Show me an example of a major college football program getting "hammered" when a lack of institutional control wasn't cited.... We are self-reporting these violations. The administration has promoted an atmosphere of compliance with their actions since November. You can't prove otherwise.
Missouri, simply for academic tutoring violations, got a 1% budget ding for 3 sports, 3 years probation, scholarship losses, lots of recruiting punishments, vacated wins, and a one year bowl ban...... and maybe more that I missed. They appealed. They lost.

If we have 51 Level I violations, not academic but actually involving paying players, I cannot imagine we get less than Missouri.

No one will touch him for a looong time if ever. He’ll def never be a HC again.

Saban will hire him next off season. You realize how bad the Sark was. He was coaching college games drunk and got another HC job.

Kiffin. Insert Kiffin story.
getting caught on FBI wire taps talking about paying off families (is survivable).

We talking bags full of money.

Reactions: kcvols1
Even if this is true, partly true, or simply BS, there was no lack of institutional control. We (UT) found out about it, investigated it, and fired the guilty parties. If anything, the NCAA should give us a prize.
We found out because a player reported it to the NCAA.

Then we took action and that will be what saves us from major sanctions.
It takes a lot for me to give you a like... but you got one. Take note of the stark contrast on VolNation between NCAA violations for other programs vs Tennessee. With other programs the general consensus is "they will get a slap on the wrist". With Tennessee it's "we will get hammered". It's very inconsistent. The reality is that unless a lack of institutional control is cited, nobody is getting the book thrown at them anymore. Mark Emmert has proven to be a very weak leader of the NCAA. This has emboldened the cheaters without much consequence. Will Wade has still not been punished and he is on an audio recording discussing a financial offer to Ja'Vonte Smart - WHO IS STILL PLAYING! It's been over two years now.

Then we took action and that will be what saves us from major sanctions.
Us "taking action" to save a 12 million dollar buyout could come across as a tad self-serving though. Anyway, if past NCAA precedent holds, programs that stonewall are rewarded, programs that take responsibility get hammered.

Saban will hire him next off season. You realize how bad the Sark was. He was coaching college games drunk and got another HC job.

Kiffin. Insert Kiffin story.
getting caught on FBI wire taps talking about paying off families (is survivable).

We talking bags full of money.
You are leaving out a key variable: Neither Steve Sarkisian or Lane Kiffin had show cause restrictions against them. That could be the case with Jeremy Pruitt. We will see. There is no way Saban hires Pruitt if that is the case. It would bring NCAA scrutiny to the recruiting practices of the staff. Nobody wants that, even if you are running a relatively clean program.

Reactions: HalfullVol
Us "taking action" to save a 12 million dollar buyout could come across as a tad self-serving though. Anyway, if past NCAA precedent holds, programs that stonewall are rewarded, programs that take responsibility get hammered.
That is not true. If NCAA precedent under Mark Emmert's leadership holds, programs that stonewall usually get off easy and programs that self report level 1 violations usually get off easy. I will say this one more time: Tennessee is not getting "hammered" unless they are cited for a lack of institutional control or "failure to promote an atmosphere of compliance".

That is not true. If NCAA precedent under Mark Emmert's leadership holds, programs that stonewall usually get off easy and programs that self report level 1 violations usually get off easy. I will say this one more time: Tennessee is not getting "hammered" unless they are cited for a lack of institutional control or "failure to promote an atmosphere of compliance".
The ENTIRE football recruiting office was fired. Everyone. About 9 people, IIRC. In the presser both Plowman and Boyd said they were "shocked at the extent of the violations."

How much more "failure to promote an atmosphere of compliance" do you think the NCAA needs beyond having to fire the entire office?

Reactions: ptcarter
The ENTIRE football recruiting office was fired. Everyone. About 9 people, IIRC. In the presser both Plowman and Boyd said they were "shocked at the extent of the violations."

How much more "failure to promote an atmosphere of compliance" do you think the NCAA needs beyond having to fire the entire office?
I think you have failure to comprehend.

The act of those terminations is in itself holding people accountable. You are proving my point. By the time this gets before the NCAA's Committee on Infractions, there won't be anyone still employed by the University of Tennessee, or anyone still representing the University of Tennessee on the field of play who was involved in these violations. There was no coverup. There was no stonewalling. Tennessee will not be cited for a lack of institutional control. Show me an example of a major college football program who has been "hammered" by the NCAA since Mark Emmert has been President, who wasn't cited for a lack of institutional control. You are wrong about this. The NCAA doesn't throw the book at anyone anymore. They just don't.

I think you have failure to comprehend.
No. I GET the "they go easy if you self report" theory but it's the EXTENT of the violations before we self reported.

Allegedly =51= Level I violations isn't just a "new thing that happened" and firing the entire staff in the recruiting office indicates this was standard operating procedure.

That's the definition of "failure to create an atmosphere of compliance."

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
It feels like we've already gotten the death penalty. Players bailing, new coaches that have yet to make their name. A 3 win season. Hard to find a bright spot. How much worse can the NCAA make it really? Come fall, there will be football. I already have Battered Vol Syndrome - Expecting the product on the field to be less than or equal to 2020 season. NCAA will be like a jury trying to convict a suicide victim of murder.

Reactions: KptVFL
No. I GET the "they go easy if you self report" theory but it's the EXTENT of the violations before we self reported.

Allegedly =51= Level I violations isn't just a "new thing that happened" and firing the entire staff in the recruiting office indicates this was standard operating procedure.

That's the definition of "failure to create an atmosphere of compliance."
That isn't just a theory. It has been the reality under Mark Emmert.

VN Store

Back