NCAA trying to come down on NIL and collectives

Not sure about communism... sounds more like fascism. The economic system of fascism is/was highly regulated/taxed crony capitalism.
Understood. The "communism" part is just a reference to robbing from the individual (whether $$$ or rights) for the benefit of the group.

Reactions: sjt18
Tax season should be interesting. How long before someone gets smoked?

I would imagine that along with these huge pay outs, these collectives are going to provide players with financial advisers. I can't see them simply cutting an 18 year old a check for a million dollars, patting them on the head, and sending them on their merry way.

The NCAA is over, that is why Emmert is retiring. He milked as much money as he could and now it is over. Little Nicky is sad.
After 34 years in corp America, I recognize Emmert as the ultimate stuffed shirt. Reasonable sounding meaningless crap drops from his lips at every opportunity. The man ran to the Supreme Court to seek validation of what was clearly illegal, despite virtually the entire legal profession telling him not to. If you want someone to do what you always do, he is your man for an absurd price. Vision , leadership , unraveling complexities....not so much.

Need salary caps imo at each position and incentives with stats awards and championships

The Supreme Court decision is a bit perplexing to me and has opened up a huge can of worms. It's fine to say that student-athletes should be
able to market themselves like anybody else, except for the fact that they are not just in the market; they're also students, or supposed to be. It's college--or used to be!

You've already effectively got an employer/employee relationship between universities and their student-athletes; in exchange for signing a NLI and getting a free education, you're obligated to practice, attend meetings and play in games. The notion that sprang up a decade or so ago that student-athletes were being exploited has always been complete nonsense: You're getting a four-year education worth $200K! Some exploitation!

Now, because NIL has no rules, university athletic departments are suddenly forced to become business agents for their players. And they have to do it or the players--many of whom are now starry-eyed about money--will transfer, or some booster/bizmen will do deals with players quietly. It's all rather grass, greedy and ridiculous now---not to mention that the athletic departments are also supposed to be paying the players for attending classes or getting a certain grade-point average! It's absurd. It all needs to be reigned in--but then major-college athletics was corrupted by money and business a long time ago, and now it's worse than ever and something of a circus.

Posturing and smoke blowing by the NCAA. There is no way they can define a booster now and every school in the country knows it. An NIL company is a booster by definition. There is nothing that can be done now to stop this. They can battle in court, but at the end of the day, all an organization has to do is take a few photos before they can pay a player as much as they want and there is nothing the NCAA can do about it.

I have made it a point to keep up with the Spyre group. Obviously, Spyre trends towards the "collective" side of the equation. They appear to seriously have their ducks in a row. They look to have formed a well thought out solution to the NIL landscape and they are positioning University of Tennessee athletics to be a leader in said environment. We are very fortunate to have the passionate leaders at Spyre focusing their talents and expertise on making UT second to no one in this new era. In addition to Spyre, the Tennessee legislature has taken the forward minded steps to better position NIL opportunities within the state. I welcome more NIL scrutiny as I strongly feel it will only strengthen the position of UT in the market.

This 100% Give each player one opportunity to transfer without penalty and that is all! If they want to transfer beyond that, they must sit a year.
I thought that's what it was now. A few one year transfer but maybe I'm thinking about some COVID rule.
But the portal only needs to be open during a set time.
You shouldn't be able to enter the portal during the season with a few exceptions.

Reactions: Brave Volunteer
Ncaa is wasting the short time they have left.

If the NCAA goes away, which would not really break my heart? Next thing you know, some political know it all will come up with some sort of oversight. And as pathetic as those folks have performed? Do you really want them filling the void?

This. Get that under control and the rest of the stuff will eventually calm down. I think there also needs to be a little bit more clarification of what “NIL” is. NIL is being used as a term to just pay guys. I brought it up in the NCAA forum, exactly how many commercials or social media posts have you guys seen actually using players? Not many for me. I’m in North Carolina and I’ve seen Sam Howell and Wendell Moore repping Bojangles and Trevor Keels on an Instagram post for Outback Steakhouse and a tv spot for a recovery medical device. To me that’s awesome. Why not let these guys get on tv or social media and do their thing? I just don’t see many of the social media posts or tv commercials to warrant the amount of money being thrown around.

Velus was repping Krystals last year.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
I have made it a point to keep up with the Spyre group. Obviously, Spyre trends towards the "collective" side of the equation. They appear to seriously have their ducks in a row. They look to have formed a well thought out solution to the NIL landscape and they are positioning University of Tennessee athletics to be a leader in said environment. We are very fortunate to have the passionate leaders at Spyre focusing their talents and expertise on making UT second to no one in this new era. In addition to Spyre, the Tennessee legislature has taken the forward minded steps to better position NIL opportunities within the state. I welcome more NIL scrutiny as I strongly feel it will only strengthen the position of UT in the market.

Well said. I cannot help but feel the entire UTAD is seriously benefiting from Spyre who has zero connections to the university. Just take a look at some of the young women showing up in recent days to be Lady Vol bball players. That great recruiting out of the portals is not by accident, that staff is doing great over there BUT Spyre must be playing a role as well.

At this point it will be like trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube. They unleashed the Kraken, so they basically got what they asked for.

Reactions: Plecoptera
They opened Pandora's Box but they were warned they would. There needs to be some deadlines to when you can do this or that but as far as the NIL deal, they're probably screwed on that. Little they can do at this point.

We will probably still bow at that alter.
The heck they will. There time for the NCAA to act was long ago. GBO! I am all for responsible changes, but the collective with Spyre is safe. As for booster watching the NCAA has always did that with one closed and one open. All I can say is watch Bama and Clemson and Georgia for once, everybody knows the old ncaa turned a blind eye to it’s favorites. I am in favor for closing portal to limited times. What gets me is it takes the NCAA to get ripped to pieces and now it acts like it wants to play fair. How about eliminating a lot of bull hock rules long outdated and quit trying to hold monopoly on everything from A to Z. GBO!

Reactions: Volanooga2521
Well said. I cannot help but feel the entire UTAD is seriously benefiting from Spyre who has zero connections to the university. Just take a look at some of the young women showing up in recent days to be Lady Vol bball players. That great recruiting out of the portals is not by accident, that staff is doing great over there BUT Spyre must be playing a role as well.
Nothing wrong with that. GBO!

I still predict that the move they will make is to welcome the collectives to establish FMV and make deals and pay the kids. But they will have to report the income. They can pay the kid whatever they want, they just will not be able to be assured where the kid will have to play. Each school will have NIL limits, just like schollie limits, and PWO limits, and on field coach limits. Probably a two tier system, one for kids earning under X and one for kids earning over X. The former for the burger, chicken wing, and appearance level players and the latter for the big money kids. Keeping the portal will be the key to making this work. Once a school reaches the limits in either pool, players simply will not be eligible to participate and kids may have to transfer to keep their deserved NIL money AND play. Just forces a distribution of talent just like limiting counters does. Can't allow a school to accept a kid not reporting his earnings and committing a felony. Collectives can pay as many kids as they want and as much as the want, but they may have to play at multiple institutions, whether the money is from A booster or a bunch of rank and file boosters. Providing them the freedom to transfer will be key and that genie was not going back in the bottle anyway. Wonder how many kids Sprye will pay to not play or play at other schools. Great commercials though. Problem solved. No limits on kids earning capability and plenty of places to play or they get to be high paid practice players at the school of their choice. Woe be to the school that tries to pull his schollie just because they accepted to many big market kids. They can sit out a year on schollie and with the pay check just like they USED to when they transferred till there is room under the cap. if they choose. Numbers can reset after each semester I guess.

If the NCAA goes away, which would not really break my heart? Next thing you know, some political know it all will come up with some sort of oversight. And as pathetic as those folks have performed? Do you really want them filling the void?
Want had zero to do with it and the NCAA may remain in title but the NCAA as it is currently will be gone soon.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
Need salary caps imo at each position and incentives with stats awards and championships
You can enact that in a collectively bargained employer/labor situation. That would require the players to get a piece of the billions reaped from broadcasting and marketing. That ain’t happening! They therefore can’t regulate what the athletes generate outside the campus.

VN Store

Back