NCAA tourney thread (post UT loss)

Tuition cost 50,716$ at Vandy per “my brochure”.

Tuition is the cost of the school and fees you see and as I said in my op you apparently didn’t read a family with an income of 180-200k can and has received Over that amount to attend Vandy

You see room and board is separate from
Tuition. I figured you might know that housing and meal plan choices that carry various price tags.

Oh and as my op said if you can comprehend, a full tuition scholarship is right around 70% at most schools. That’s a huge scholarship at most places

In other sports, a full scholarship includes tuition, room, food and books. Does the definition of the 11.7 baseball scholarships equal the same?

Reactions: RollerVol
In other sports, a full scholarship includes tuition, room, food and books. Does the definition of the 11.7 baseball scholarships equal the same?

You need books in college? Guess that helps explain why it took me so long to graduate. When they said money for books I thought they meant beer at the Library.

Evidence? Give me a break. You are quoting a brochure that is just a brief overview. Until you have gone through the whole process and have seen it first hand, YOU DON'T HAVE A CLUE. Cry all you want but you DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. What year did you apply for vandy? What year did your child apply? A relative? A long lost friend? That is what I thought. Ethan Small, is he any good? Do you think he is good enough? He went through the same thing and had to settle for MSU after he committed Vandy.

Read this

Opportunity Vanderbilt

Stanford has been doing this for years as well as other Private schools and now some state schools, see Michigan. You don't see them winning championships. Get over your self and stop whining and complaining. As much as it pains me, they are just better than us. If not, then what is there excuse for beating us in football? They get some kind of advantage in that too?
He has made it in his own mind that they are “cheating” and it cannot be changed. Vanderbilt uses the scholarships to lower their ridiculous tuition costs but not give full rides. Plus he is coming from a false premise that if all teams had 25-30 full ride scholarships that Vanderbilt would still be a bottom of the barrel program with the press box being folding chairs and a table on the visitors dugout. The fact is when Corbin was hired the school started upgrading facilities like crazy for baseball and then David Price arrived and kids realized that Vanderbilt was a legitimate school for baseball. Yes they lower the cost for tuition but the free ride crap is overblown by jealous fans that can’t accept their own programs failures, and college baseball attracts kids that want to go to college. Think about it in football kids don’t get drafted at 18 and are forced to go to college to be seen by pro scouts. In baseball he has the option to play pro baseball with a massive paycheck and the team even pays for college in most cases.
So here is the option for someone choosing college baseball : UT or Vanderbilt?
Education: Both are fine schools but Vanderbilt is better. It’s the difference between a Ford Explorer and Lincoln Navigator both are great to have but the Lincoln has more prestige and a lot of extra bells and whistles (I guess in the case of Vandy Baseball a lot of extra whistles) advantage Vanderbilt.

They have better coaches, facilities, path to the majors, and chance to win.

He has made it in his own mind that they are “cheating”

You sir really can’t Read.

I’ll invite you to read a post from a number of days from myself

Huh?

I used to hammer these boards. Even called them cheaters. Now I don’t blame them at all. They aren’t cheating. The system is the issue but yes I do have an issue with their advantage.

Reactions: txbo and RollerVol
I’ll hit on a few of the things posted above.

Vandy doesn’t have 35 full scholarships but what they do have is 35 very large “scholarships” that allow them to not only offer great school, a great track record, a great coaching staff BUT ALSO better scholarship %s for recruits which is huge.

If all schools had similar $ structure Vandy would still be good because of what’s been established. However Corbin never ever ever would have build that program to where it is today without the advantages of the aid. That’s exactly why he didn’t leave got LSU or any of the other big name big $ jobs he could have easily gotten over the years

Vandy doesn’t have 35 full scholarships but what they do have is 35 very large “scholarships” that allow them to not only offer great school, a great track record, a great coaching staff BUT ALSO better scholarship %s for recruits which is huge.

If all schools had similar $ structure Vandy would still be good because of what’s been established. However Corbin never ever ever would have build that program to where it is today without the advantages of the aid. That’s exactly why he didn’t leave got LSU or any of the other big name big $ jobs he could have easily gotten over the years

Maybe he stays because he gets paid. Like, north of 2 million a year.

Vanderbilt baseball coach Tim Corbin paid $2.3 million in 2016, per tax return

College World Series: Vanderbilt baseball's Tim Corbin is highest-paid coach in Omaha

Last edited:

You insinuated it as “cheating” by claiming they give out huge discounts to baseball players with rich parents. Anyone who knows anything about travel ball knows it’s damn expensive and necessary to get a kid recognized by college recruiters. So to claim they give out a free ride to Tracy Rocker’s kid (just an example) when he makes 1/2 million a year is false, also they are a private school so if they want tuition at $5 a year for everyone they can. Let’s be honest though the players are paying the school back when they sign and play in the majors. I would assume even the ones that don’t make it do help repay some also (ditto every other SEC school)

So if they use their “large scholarships” to lower the cost to that equal to every other SEC school where is the advantage? Say they lower it to 10K (using everything including athletic scholarships) isn’t every other SEC school doing the same things (grants, lottery) ? Does it not actually level the playing field for them which was basically insanely disadvantaged before Corbin?

Corbin doesn’t seem to be a “show me the money” type plus he doesn’t seem to like to deal with pressure that an LSU job would bring. As you said Nashville is one of the best cities in the country and he made Vanderbilt a powerhouse and their is no pressure at that job. Mainieri is already feeling the heat at LSU and he makes less than Corbin does now. As I stated hiring Corbin coincided with them upgrading their facilities from rec league softball quality to some of the best on the country. Someone was talking about them having folding chairs on the dugouts as a press box in Corbin’s first years.

You insinuated it as “cheating” by claiming they give out huge discounts to baseball players with rich parents. Anyone who knows anything about travel ball knows it’s damn expensive and necessary to get a kid recognized by college recruiters. So to claim they give out a free ride to Tracy Rocker’s kid (just an example) when he makes 1/2 million a year is false, .

Damn almighty you make stuff up. Let me make this crystal clear and read closely a few times so you can comprehend.

Vandys recruiting works this way. When they identify a recruit they want they put them in two categories, need based aid or 11.7. If the recruits family is “rich” and makes over 200k per year that recruit will be given 11.7 money. If the recruits family makes under 200k they get need based aid. Thus each category gets very high % of “scholarships”. Not all full rides but In most cases 70% or more which is a huge scholarship. Rocker would clearly be in the 11.7 category and able to get huge $ due to their baseball $ going much further than other schools btw

Let me be clear about this AGAIN. Vandy isn’t cheating. I don’t Blame Vandy for doing this. I blame the ncaa for only allowing 11.7. Vandy doesn’t need their situation cut In order to level the playing but the 11.7 needs to be brought up to level it

Now I am sure you will make up some other BS so before posting please read this post over and over again until you make more of a fool of yourself

Last edited:
Reactions: txbo and RollerVol
If you watch it isn’t hard to see why I have softened my hatred toward Vandy. This is just awesome if you are honest with yourself

Damn almighty you make stuff up. Let me make this crystal clear and read closely a few times so you can comprehend.

Vandys recruiting works this way. When they identify a recruit they want they put them in two categories, need based aid or 11.7. If the recruits family is “rich” and makes over 200k per year that recruit will be given 11.7 money. If the recruits family makes under 200k they get need based aid. Thus each category gets very high % of “scholarships”. Not all full rides but In most cases 70% or more which is a huge scholarship. Rocker would clearly be in the 11.7 category and able to get huge $ due to their baseball $ going much further than other schools btw

Let me be clear about this AGAIN. Vandy isn’t cheating. I don’t Blame Vandy for doing this. I blame the ncaa for only allowing 11.7. Vandy doesn’t need their situation cut In order to level the playing but the 11.7 needs to be brought up to level it

Now I am sure you will make up some other BS so before posting please read this post over and over again until you make more of a fool of yourself
Really? I make up stuff, then why when someone tells you their actual experience with Vanderbilt baseball records recruiting and financing, then you basically call them a liar and say his kid wasn’t good enough? If you know more than someone who experienced it then please let us know. I am not saying you are wrong but you are taking all of your information from second hand sources and rumors. Yes the school website has it possible that someone can get aid from the system but it’s on an individual basis. Someone making 100K a year in Nashville is in a different situation than someone making that in Boston. If you have proof of them favoring athletes over regular students please report it to the NCAA!!

I agree with you that it needs to be 25-30 full ride scholarships but guess who else does Tim Corbin. If it’s such an advantage, why would he want to lose it?

Really? I make up stuff, then why when someone tells you their actual experience with Vanderbilt baseball records recruiting and financing, then you basically call them a liar and say his kid wasn’t good enough? If you know more than someone who experienced it then please let us know. I am not saying you are wrong but you are taking all of your information from second hand sources and rumors. Yes the school website has it possible that someone can get aid from the system but it’s on an individual basis. Someone making 100K a year in Nashville is in a different situation than someone making that in Boston.

I agree with you that it needs to be 25-30 full ride scholarships but guess who else does Tim Corbin. If it’s such an advantage, why would he want to lose it?
Because he’s not a moron and knows it’s good for the game as a whole...

Really? I make up stuff, then why when someone tells you their actual experience with Vanderbilt baseball records recruiting and financing, then you basically call them a liar and say his kid wasn’t good enough? If you know more than someone who experienced it then please let us know. I am not saying you are wrong but you are taking all of your information from second hand sources and rumors. Yes the school website has it possible that someone can get aid from the system but it’s on an individual basis. Someone making 100K a year in Nashville is in a different situation than someone making that in Boston. If you have proof of them favoring athletes over regular students please report it to the NCAA!!

Ain’t nobody calling you a liar. I’m perfectly certain some people don’t get the money they want and there is a reason for that.......

And no it’s not second hand info....

The truth, after all the debating, is something we all agree on. Once TV became a thing for college baseball and softball, the money is there to do the right thing.

If you watch it isn’t hard to see why I have softened my hatred toward Vandy. This is just awesome if you are honest with yourself

got that right BV...much, much, rather have Vandy win it than some other conference rep...it's still in the SEC family...:D

GO BIG ORANGE!

for the record, the D1 guys believe Vandy does have an unfair advantage. They have written years ago that they may be playing with 30 scholarships according to what people tell him...….honestly, all schools have additional grants and scholarship money they can provide to athletes. Vandy just has more. It is what it is...…...play ball!

VN Store

Back