NCAA Tournament Thread

God, Deadspin is so miserable. They used to rip MLB for years because they didn't have replay, and that was evidence baseball was run by "old white men" who were behind the times. Whatever fits their narrative. Now they're basically saying that if it is going to disrupt the game that much, they'd rather just have an incorrect call. Somebody in the comments to this article said the site's editorial direction was "Sports, written about by people who hate them" and is absolutely right.

Yes in that Moretti’s finger was in fact the last to touch the ball before it went out of bounds. No in that the microscopic inspection of late-game out-of-bounds calls using instant replay goes against the spirit of the rule
Does it? I thought the point of instant replay is to "get the call right." At least that's how it's always been pitched by the proponents of it.

Be careful what you wish for when you want more replay, because you'll get it. People are going to get sick of this PI review rule in the NFL this coming season, I guarantee it. There will be 4-5 PI calls (or no calls) reviewed per game, many will be obvious (i.e., obvious that the call on the field should stand) and/or in meaningless situations, and will disrupt the flow of the game even more, which is something people already complain a ton about.

I think replay has run amok a bit. The game should be called consistently from beginning to end. And if they want to go to replay, it needs to be limited - maybe by time. If they can't determine the right call and time within so many seconds, then the call on the floor stands. Last night the 'rules expert' was saying the refs needed to consider 'distortions' in slo-mo replay. Ridiculous.

I think replay has run amok a bit. The game should be called consistently from beginning to end. And if they want to go to replay, it needs to be limited - maybe by time. If they can't determine the right call and time within so many seconds, then the call on the floor stands. Last night the 'rules expert' was saying the refs needed to consider 'distortions' in slo-mo replay. Ridiculous.
It absolutely has run amok, especially in basketball and football.

The easiest solution to it all appears to just limit the time you can look at a replay. 30 seconds is enough to make a decision either way, plus the time (if needed) it takes to determine if time needs to be put back on the clock. These reviews really shouldn't take any more than 60 seconds total.

The call on the field can only be overturned with "indisputable evidence," right? If the evidence is indisputable, it shouldn't take more than 30 seconds to arrive at a decision. These 4-5 minute reviews, even 2-3 minute reviews, are just silly. And use it for bang-bang plays only. It's also become a huge crutch over the years, using it to get another look at calls that should be obvious.

God, Deadspin is so miserable. They used to rip MLB for years because they didn't have replay, and that was evidence baseball was run by "old white men" who were behind the times. Whatever fits their narrative. Now they're basically saying that if it is going to disrupt the game that much, they'd rather just have an incorrect call. Somebody in the comments to this article said the site's editorial direction was "Sports, written about by people who hate them" and is absolutely right.

Does it? I thought the point of instant replay is to "get the call right." At least that's how it's always been pitched by the proponents of it.

Be careful what you wish for when you want more replay, because you'll get it. People are going to get sick of this PI review rule in the NFL this coming season, I guarantee it. There will be 4-5 PI calls (or no calls) reviewed per game, many will be obvious (i.e., obvious that the call on the field should stand) and/or in meaningless situations, and will disrupt the flow of the game even more, which is something people already complain a ton about.

They still didn't get the call "right" he was fouled by Guy right before the other UVA player hit the ball.

VN Store

Back