NCAA Tournament Game Thread: (3) Lady Vols vs. (6) Michigan

Hi bballnut. Sorry bout Rutgers, we can wallow in pity together. I'm sure your post will elicit a ton of sympathy lol. But it does contain a great LV memory for me:
02/01/01 #3 UT 92, #2 UConn 88 Knoxville, Tenn.
My second fave LV game of all time, behind only the great comeback against North Carolina in regional final in 98 to perserve the 39-0 season. The 92-88 win over UConn in Knox was AFTER the loss of Tamika Catchings. Great games from Kara Lawson, Ace Clement, and Gwen Jackson in front of 20.000 wild fans in one of the best TBA atmospheres ever. I remember it like it was yesterday!

The Lady Vols lost this game because their two best offensive players scored 23 points and Michigan's two best offensive players scored 42 points. Is this discrepancy a player problem or a coaching problem or a combination of the two? The LVs had 16 TOs compared to Michigan's 13 TOs, so TOs do not explain the loss. I am beginning to have anxious moments for Kellie's tenure at UT despite the UConn poster's comments that Kellie has turned the program around. The LV fans want Kellie to accomplish at the same level that Dawn has accomplished at SC. This is a heavy burden for Kellie but it is what it is. Let's hope that she can turn the program around in another 3 or 4 years. I believe she can do so even though I have some doubts.
3 or 4 more years huh? That’s been the story for 10+ years. We have to admit that a mistake may have been made. Like Kellie but we can’t wait a decade to return to become a factor again.

Reactions: Tnphil
Not really, certainly not like the last few years. No losses outside the NET top 25 this year, and no blowouts, really - this game was about as close to a blowout as we've had all year, so it IS frustrating after such a solid season.
2 blowouts by Kentucky & South Carolina. Facts

Reactions: Ladyvol777
Like many, watching this game made me HOT MAD AND HELLA SAD. I really did feel we would make the S16 strongly, but we're not there yet. Big picture in view, this has been a successful season, and a strong step in the right direction. As Coach KJH has said on numerous occasions, "Trust the Process." Yes there is a lot of criticism that could go around, but hey, now is not probably the best time and Michigan is a good team. As for the immediate future, USE THIS LOST, record as many games as possible of the elite teams for summer homework, get back to Knoxville and hit the road RECRUITING, and go to work--remember Ball State? Reason, a message must be sent from the head coach and staff that a certain type of performance is no longer acceptable at UT, and that winning and championships is our only standard. Once again, this season has been a strong step in the right direction, and the coaches, staff, and players are to be commended and congratulated for their hard work this season in the face of covid and injuries. GO LADY VOLS, LVFL!!!!

Maybe Tara, but Geno beat Pat most of the time.

01/16/95 #2 UConn 77, #1 UT 66 Storrs, Conn.
04/02/95 #1 UConn 70, #3 UT 64 Minneapolis, Minn.
01/06/96 #2 UConn 59, #4 UT 53 Knoxville, Tenn.
03/29/96 #4 UT 88, #2 UConn 83 (OT) Charlotte, N.C.
01/05/97 #1 UConn 72, #8 UT 57 Hartford, Conn.
03/24/97 #10 UT 91, #1 UConn 81 Iowa City, Iowa
01/03/98 #1 UT 84, #3 UConn 69 Knoxville, Tenn.
01/10/99 #2 UT 92, #1 UConn 81 Storrs, Conn.
01/08/00 #1 UConn 74, #2 UT 67 Knoxville, Tenn.
02/02/00 #4 UT 72, #1 UConn 71 Storrs, Conn.
04/02/00 #1 UConn 71, #2 UT 52 Philadelphia, Pa.
12/30/00 #1 UConn 81, #2 UT 76 Hartford, Conn.
02/01/01 #3 UT 92, #2 UConn 88 Knoxville, Tenn.
01/05/02 #1 UConn 86, #2 UT 72 Knoxville, Tenn.
03/29/02 #1 UConn 79, #6 UT 56 San Antonio, Texas
01/04/03 #3 UConn 63, #5 UT 62 (OT) Hartford, Conn.
04/08/03 #1 UConn 73, #5 UT 68 Atlanta, Ga.
02/05/04 #4 UConn 81, #1 UT 67 Knoxville, Tenn.
04/06/04 #6 UConn 70, #2 UT 61 New Orleans, La.
01/08/05 #10 UT 68, #15 UConn 67 Hartford, Conn.
01/07/06 #1 UT 89, #7 UConn 80 Knoxville, Tenn.
01/06/07 #4 UT 70, #5 UConn 64 Hartford, Conn.

13-9.

What was her Record against Vivian Stringer? Serious question...

Open.your eyes .. all u gotta do is observe.. ive watched players walk right past KJ and never slow down as she is trying to correct .. I watched Michigan girl come off court stop in front of her coach till she stopped talking and sit .. open your flippin eyes ..

You don`t watch anything then who are the players you are taking about that disrespect KJH ? Put there names out there

3 or 4 more years huh? That’s been the story for 10+ years. We have to admit that a mistake may have been made. Like Kellie but we can’t wait a decade to return to become a factor again.
I agree with your comments. However, some posters say that Kellie does not have "her" players. I want to give her a chance to see if she can re-establish UT as a elite WCBB team in 3 or 4 years with her players.

P.S. If Kellie can't accomplish the above achievement in 3 or 4 years. I suggest UT hire the coach that replaced Kellie at Missouri State if she (the Mo State coach) continues to win at her present pace. I realize she has only 2 years experience as a head coach but she looks really good so far.

Last edited:
2 blowouts by Kentucky & South Carolina. Facts
Guess it depends on your def of blowout. Lost both by 15, KY without our best player. The So Carolina SEC tourney game and today were the only games where we were never really in the game. Today was our worst overall performance in a long time, probably along with the meltdown against Georgia at home, our worst game. Again, we lost by 15.

Believe me, any or all of these would have been true 25 pt blowouts in previous years. So I guess that's improvement.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Believe me, any or all of these would have been true 25 pt blowouts in previous years. So I guess that's improvement.

One of the saddest moments as a Tennessee fan was when Miss State put an @ss whooping on Tennessee in the SECT, and Evina was pleading their case to make the NCAAT because they "only" lost by 18.

The Lady Vols lost this game because their two best offensive players scored 23 points and Michigan's two best offensive players scored 42 points. Is this discrepancy a player problem or a coaching problem or a combination of the two? The LVs had 16 TOs compared to Michigan's 13 TOs, so TOs do not explain the loss. I am beginning to have anxious moments for Kellie's tenure at UT despite the UConn poster's comments that Kellie has turned the program around. The LV fans want Kellie to accomplish at the same level that Dawn has accomplished at SC. This is a heavy burden for Kellie but it is what it is. Let's hope that she can turn the program around in another 3 or 4 years. I believe she can do so even though I have some doubts.

Fans are going to have to come to grips that Kellie is not going to recruit at Dawn's level--neither will anyone else--because Dawn is an brand, almost iconic right now. Especially to young black women who also just happen to account for most of the best players in the game.

Fans are going to have to come to grips that Kellie is not going to recruit at Dawn's level--neither will anyone else--because Dawn is an brand, almost iconic right now. Especially to young black women who also just happen to account for most of the best players in the game.
They sure don't have any trouble playing for Geno. Or Kim Mulkey. I think winning championships and developing as a player still wins the day for most recruits.

Kellie absolutely sucks at recruiting. Now there's enough body of evidence to show she sucks at coaching her team up in the postseason too. Unfortunately she has that in common with our men's coach.

Enjoy it LV fans, this is the ceiling of the program under Kellie...

I'll be honest I don't know. But that wasn't what I corrected.

I'm sure it was Something-zero.

I can read what you corrected. i wanted to know an answer to a Rutgers question so i went to the source...

I would think she got a win in against Pat somewhere along the way. Stringer is one of the great coaches and being 13-9 against Geno i don’t know of any other coach who can boast about having 9 wins against him. Maybe muffett?

Damn you’re testy... You go missing for a few after the Rutgers loss and you come back mad. You ok bro?

Reactions: LadyVol1908
One other thing I noticed: Very little player movement. Reminded me of my daughters’ teams as 4th graders on offense. Everyone trots down and stands rooted to “ their“ spot on the floor!

This game was painful to watch. I couldn’t figure out what the game plan was. It seemed to be everybody just doing what they wanna do. It just really looked disorganized! Freelancing, making it up as they went along, hoping for someone to step up.

I think this was lovingly referred to as "Holly-ball"...when they just try to beat their defender 1-on-1 (or 2, 3, 4...sometimes 5) and hope to get the offensive rebound.

Kellie has managed to mostly suppress it, but it still rears its ugly head from time to time.

They sure don't have any trouble playing for Geno. Or Kim Mulkey. I think winning championships and developing as a player still wins the day for most recruits.

Apples and oranges. They were established coaches long before Dawn hit her peak. Even to your point, Dawn beat their ass in last years class.

And what about rebounds? I haven’t looked at the box score, but it sure didn’t seem like we were getting very many. What is that supposed to be one of our strengths?

Reactions: Rixxx

VN Store

Back