NCAA Scrambles to Remain Relevant

NCAA call's for a Constitutional Convention to be held.

“This is not about tweaking the model we have now,” NCAA President Mark Emmert said in a statement. “This is about wholesale transformation so we can set a sustainable course for college sports for decades to come. We need to stay focused on the thing that matters most — helping students be as successful as they can be as both students and athletes.”

NCAA to convene constitutional convention to propose dramatic changes to college athletics

Edit: What he really meant: “This is about wholesale transformation so we can set a sustainable course for college sports for decades to come. We need to stay focused on the thing that matters most — Keeping mine and my buddies cushy high paying jobs.”
Hell, there's no sane reason to keep the sham that is the NCAA, in any form, in existence. They were created to be the police of college athletics. College athletics, as it was once known, no longer exists. It's now a professional league being played and coached by folks who are being paid and essentially have free agency. This is now the wild, wild west. No need in pretending anymore. The transgressions by the likes of NC with their academic fraud and LSU with taped evidence were never punished so why bother with any of that BS now? It was always a lie and pretense. Send the entire lot of them off into the real world for real work and shut the thing down and wipe it out of existence. If there's one good thing about the death of amateur athletics at the collegiate level, it's got to be the freedom from ever having to contend with the fraud that was the NCAA.

Reactions: volmanNC
Whether the NCAA goes away or not, one fact will always remain. Wherever there's big money, there's corruption. Usually accompanied by lying, stealing, cheating, and exploitation in one form or another, and sometimes altogether.

“This is not about tweaking the model we have now,” NCAA President Mark Emmert said in a statement. “This is about wholesale transformation so we can set a sustainable course for college sports for decades to come. We need to stay focused on the thing that matters most — helping students be as successful as they can be as both students and athletes.”

NCAA to convene constitutional convention to propose dramatic changes to college athletics

Edit: What he really meant: “This is about wholesale transformation so we can set a sustainable course for college sports for decades to come. We need to stay focused on the thing that matters most — Keeping mine and my buddies cushy high paying jobs.”
sounds about right. any institution waf would have seen this coming a mile away and been proactive. also, would have modified years ago. Its waaay past time.

NCAA, Unions, (insert any oversight board here) is all about control for those at the top

we can't have you hillbillies out there governing yourselves - there's too much $$ to be made for such a thing

bottom line. IT ISN'T GOING AWAY

The NCAA and College Football need a divorce.
Why?
The NCAA needs to avoid getting sued into oblivion over their business practices.

College Football needs a central regulatory agency.

How?
The NCAA keeps control of most (read: unprofitable to the schools) college sports, at least for awhile until they can regulate themselves.

College Football splits. Big Money, ESPN/Fox propped up conferences form a "big boys" league where the money goes and championships are won. Small college football becomes just that...... small and meaningless. Most players will still get to play, maybe even get scholarships, and it'll look like the 50s, well sort of.

The NCAA can hang on to basketball for awhile but the NBA-style minor leagues will erode them into unprofitable eventually. Again, small colleges can do as they wish....... nobody cares.

When?
How quickly can the suits at the major money making colleges get their s$#t together and put together a football governing institution? It'll be a helluva lot faster if they either partner with the NFL or hire ex-NFL execs to sort it out.

Eventually schools will sell their interests, names, etc and any notion of "amateur" or "college" will be nostalgia.

The NCAA was originally created to help the student athletes not to be over worked and let them focus on their studies as well as have another time to practice and play the game they loved playing. However in today's society its all about money. NCAA should be banned from all college sports imo

Lol at you being so naive. Surely you know Emmert's base salary is $2.7 million. Non-profit does not mean the organization doesn't make money or payments to its employees.
I don't give two cents what they replace it as it will surely be a more balanced entity.
No shiz. You don't seem to know what NP/NFP is. Tons of billion dollar NPs pay big salaries...they're managing billion dollar organizations lol.

What is "more balanced"? Balancing what? They look out for all 3 divisions, all FBS teams...who does Sankey look after? If anything going from a national entity to regional, selfish entities is going to hurt national balance. Exactly what's happening right now.

But if you really care about the salaries of organizational leaders - shield your eyes from what it costs to just run single conferences...the B1G commish makes $5mm (the last one made $10mm)...for leading ONE conference 😅

The NCAA was originally created to help the student athletes not to be over worked and let them focus on their studies as well as have another time to practice and play the game they loved playing. However in today's society its all about money. NCAA should be banned from all college sports imo
Are they not the rulesetting and governing body? Yeah...somebody has to do that. And who will elect those people? Hmm...the universities?

I've yet to see an argument as to how things are improved by replacing 1 university-led body with another.

The NCAA is history. They won't have any governance in the end. Good news is we won't have to worry about any penalties! Yay!

In other words Tennessee should take advantage of this while the NCAA is scrambling. Wrap up the investigation quickly and announce self imposed penalties of significant reduction of scholarships for this year only (we can take advantage of the COVID rules) and a two year bowl ban. This would be the last year of the bowl ban because we declined an invitation to one last year. Easy peasy, we are done with this mess.

The Hell with that. Drag it out. If the NCAA implodes, and gets replaced by something better, this whole thing will be over with it all, more than likely, forgotten.

The challenges facing the NCAA is one of the reasons why I don't think our penalties will be as heavy as some think. The NIL and the portal things, along with the very potential of conferences as a whole, revolting has erected triple layered barbwire fencing around this miniature bovine pretending to be a Salers bull. So they will if anything give the UT a rather mild ruling so as not to tick off other schools. They know they're holding a gun to their own head.

NCAA, Unions, (insert any oversight board here) is all about control for those at the top

we can't have you hillbillies out there governing yourselves - there's too much $$ to be made for such a thing

bottom line. IT ISN'T GOING AWAY
He who has the money makes the rules. If the big money schools want the NCAA to disappear, it’s gone. What you’re seeing currently is the SEC shaping the future of college football and the NCAA trying to get a seat at the adult’s table.

The Hell with that. Drag it out. If the NCAA implodes, and gets replaced by something better, this whole thing will be over with it all, more than likely, forgotten.
Dragging it out is probably worse than the actual punishment we will accept. Do like LSU and tell them to kick rocks.

The NCAA owns a lot of intellectual property, particularly trademarks that apply to the basketball tournament. They will have to unwind that stuff somehow.

Are they not the rulesetting and governing body? Yeah...somebody has to do that. And who will elect those people? Hmm...the universities?

I've yet to see an argument as to how things are improved by replacing 1 university-led body with another.
Me too if anything all P5 should govern themselves then G5 should govern themselves etc... this should help I guess but one thing for sure NCAA should disband

Ironic you calling someone dumb while promoting dumb

Unions serve to protect the dumbest, weakest, laziest, most non-productive members of the group.
That's it

I never liked the concept of unions...until I had a job that required you to be a member of one.
Afterwards, I can see that some of them are absolutely necessary...although it seems like the dregs of the workforce are the ones who benefit the most lately.

Unions are bad? Lol. This is one of the dumbest things I’ve read on here.
Yes, by and large, they are. They served their purpose decades ago, but are now a leach on the backs of workers and basically only serve their leadership. Successful companies value their employees and see them as stakeholders in the companies, just like stockholders and management. Companies that don't value their employees and take care of them don't last long in today's world.

If the NCAA goes away, what oversight do college athletics have?

Will the conferences govern themselves?
The Internal Revenue Service will raise its head and govern both players and Schools.
Wait, too many in the portal for this school or that school. Money has maxed out. Go to the next school. Ups, I made an income last year and now I have to pay taxes on my service contract with Joe's Car Wash.
Bama and Florida are full., but the portal! Can I go back to my old school? No scholarship any more, but, I got upset and pulled a stupid stunt. Damn the Portal. Taxes, what taxes? What do I do?

VN Store

Back