NCAA Scrambles to Remain Relevant

VolBricks

May the Orange be with you!
NCAA call's for a Constitutional Convention to be held.

“This is not about tweaking the model we have now,” NCAA President Mark Emmert said in a statement. “This is about wholesale transformation so we can set a sustainable course for college sports for decades to come. We need to stay focused on the thing that matters most — helping students be as successful as they can be as both students and athletes.”

NCAA to convene constitutional convention to propose dramatic changes to college athletics

Edit: What he really meant: “This is about wholesale transformation so we can set a sustainable course for college sports for decades to come. We need to stay focused on the thing that matters most — Keeping mine and my buddies cushy high paying jobs.”

Last edited:
If the NCAA goes away, what oversight do college athletics have?

Will the conferences govern themselves?

Reactions: savannahfan
Yes will be left to conferences

You just know... these rabbid SEC fanbases are going to blame whoever our SEC commissioner is for rigging games and outcomes to go Bama's way!

And, you just know.... since the SEC "corporate" office is in Bama, as soon as they lose two games in one year, those Bama fans are going to fire bomb it!

LOL-I would not want to be the commish if it goes to SEC governance!

NCAA call's for a Constitutional Convention to be held.

“This is not about tweaking the model we have now,” NCAA President Mark Emmert said in a statement. “This is about wholesale transformation so we can set a sustainable course for college sports for decades to come. We need to stay focused on the thing that matters most — helping students be as successful as they can be as both students and athletes.”

NCAA to convene constitutional convention to propose dramatic changes to college athletics

Edit: What he really meant: “This is about wholesale transformation so we can set a sustainable course for college sports for decades to come. We need to stay focused on the thing that matters most — Keeping mine and my buddies cushy high paying jobs.”
People starting to get that this isn’t just about NIL?

Reactions: Rasputin_Vol
For decades to come? We have zero clue what will happen tonight-tomorrow or next week!!! Decades?? Some people are clueless...or play one of tv...cause "decades" is out of question Mark! You might want to discuss the next bombshell that will explode ...in like next week!!

Reactions: MemphisVol77
You just know... these rabbid SEC fanbases are going to blame whoever our SEC commissioner is for rigging games and outcomes to go Bama's way!

And, you just know.... since the SEC "corporate" office is in Bama, as soon as they lose two games in one year, those Bama fans are going to fire bomb it!

LOL-I would not want to be the commish if it goes to SEC governance!

It’s already rigged somewhat… but not because it’s Bama. WHATEVER team is the lead horse to win the SEC championship and BCS will get the beneficial nod in big games and other areas.

I think that bias would be extended impartially to any dominant SEC team from SEC conference leaders. However that ”nod” must be earned on the field.

Since 1906, this organization has been nothing more than an overpowered and unrestricted dumpster fire ruling over college sports for profit under the guise of protecting amateur athletics. Let it die.
It's a non profit lol. It actually costs about the same to run as single conferences.

Ultimately the NCAA is nothing but the universities themselves. So tell me what changes when you replace it with some other university-led entity.

And surely everyone understands...someone must be the governing body. Nobody wants to be, but someone has to. So what do you replace it with?

Yes will be left to conferences
So one conference can do one thing...and another something different?

Should pro leagues adopt this? Hmm sounds like a bad idea to me. There's good reason pro leagues exist successfully and are ongoing...they govern and ensure balance and fairness. I don't see individual conferences doing any of that...as we see right now!

Reactions: MyVolsDropped
It's a non profit lol. It actually costs about the same to run as single conferences.

Ultimately the NCAA is nothing but the universities themselves. So tell me what changes when you replace it with some other university-led entity.

And surely everyone understands...someone must be the governing body. Nobody wants to be, but someone has to. So what do you replace it with?
Lol at you being so naive. Surely you know Emmert's base salary is $2.7 million. Non-profit does not mean the organization doesn't make money or payments to its employees.
I don't give two cents what they replace it as it will surely be a more balanced entity.

Last edited:
It's good the NCAA is taking this on. They need to.

So what does college sport need? What will these guys be working on? Some basics, we can guess:

(1) Keeper of the rule books. Each sport has a rule book. How many yards for a first down? How many points for a safety? How many players can dress for a game? How many time outs does each team get? Tons of rules, absolutely necessary so that one game is run in the same way as another game a week later.

(2) Proponent of player safety. This is actually how the NCAA got started. About the time Teddy Roosevelt was President of the US, young men were dying on football fields. Like, 10-20 each year. Something had to be done. Teddy called player leaders from colleges across the nation to a big meeting, to talk about what measures they could take. What would eventually become the NCAA grew out of that meeting. This role is important.

(3) Coordinator of special events that involve multiple schools. Things like the NCAA tournament in each sport.

There are others. Those are the first three that come to mind. And in each case, if the NCAA suddenly ceased to exist, we would need someone else to pick up that job and do it.

Could the conferences do those three jobs? Sort of. #2, for sure. But #1 and #3, only if you don't mind the conferences drifting apart and no longer playing each other. No more championship tournaments without _something_ bigger than the conferences.

So we seem to be facing two possible core futures. Either (a) the NCAA, or something at least a little like it, fills the "keeper of the rule books" and "championship tournament coordinator" roles, or (b) the conferences each do their own things, with no out-of-conference games or championships, and slowly, over time, the rule books start to vary from each other until we have different KINDS of college football, different KINDS of college basketball, etc.

I personally can't see the latter happening.

So I think we'll always have _something_ roughly akin to the NCAA. Without so much of a rule enforcement heavy hand, probably, and with far less to say about player eligibility maybe, but there will be something.

Anyway, that's on them to figure out. Glad they're going to work on it.

If the NCAA goes away, what oversight do college athletics have?

Will the conferences govern themselves?

IMO, when this is all done the ncaa will govern division 1 non-power conference teams.

The power conference teams will form their own organization. Schools in that organization will only play each other, make a ton of money, and keep it all.

That’s my guess

Why do some think that the NCAA going away would be a good thing? You do realize there are other sports in college besides football right?

So one conference can do one thing...and another something different?

Should pro leagues adopt this? Hmm sounds like a bad idea to me. There's good reason pro leagues exist successfully and are ongoing...they govern and ensure balance and fairness. I don't see individual conferences doing any of that...as we see right now!
There’s too much disparity in terms of financial resources. They can’t all compete under the same umbrella.

Reactions: knox73
I don't see the need for the level of bureaucracy and monetary haircut college sports takes with an NCAA in this new modern era. They need to go the way of the dinosaur and block ice.

In other words Tennessee should take advantage of this while the NCAA is scrambling. Wrap up the investigation quickly and announce self imposed penalties of significant reduction of scholarships for this year only (we can take advantage of the COVID rules) and a two year bowl ban. This would be the last year of the bowl ban because we declined an invitation to one last year. Easy peasy, we are done with this mess.

VN Store

Back