NCAA pushing decision out on 1 free transfer - update

Bballnut1952

The one-time transfer rule is a guideline and COULD be voted on May 24. However, legislation on the matter would wait until Jan. So, yes, Council can approve in May.

Last edited:
Reactions: Will83
It's honestly stunning. There are a lot of football and basketball coaches that constructed rosters for next year with the thought that the rule was a slam dunk to be changed. Waivers will still be granted in some cases, but this is a game changer.

January 2021
Are you sure? This is the latest story I’ve read. Sounds like they’ve pushed the decision on this to May but it could be delayed to January. Quoting this article,

“The vote could also be pushed until January, but that is not a certainty, despite several reports to the contrary.”

The only reason to delay the vote to January in my opinion is that football season would be either delayed to Spring 2021 or cancelled. Otherwise, I would think the decision would be made well before Fall.

NCAA Vote On One-Time Transfer Waiver Could Happen On May 20, Or Could Be Pushed Until January

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Are you sure? This is the latest story I’ve read. Sounds like they’ve pushed the decision on this to May but it could be delayed to January. Quoting this article,

“The vote could also be pushed until January, but that is not a certainty, despite several reports to the contrary.”

The only reason to delay the vote to January in my opinion is that football season would be either delayed to Spring 2021 or cancelled. Otherwise, I would think the decision would be made well before Fall.

NCAA Vote On One-Time Transfer Waiver Could Happen On May 20, Or Could Be Pushed Until January
I updated my post already. It’s very confusing.

Look at what is in the body of this article :

In a letter sent last month to the transfer working group and obtained by Forbes SportsMoney, Purdue coach Matt Painter voiced the National Association of Basketball Coaches’ opposition to the one-time transfer waiver. Painter, a member of the NABC board of directors, said the waiver would usher in an era of “free agency” into college basketball and would make life more complicated for both high school and college student-athletes.

“I strongly oppose the proposed one-time immediate eligibility transfer waiver rule, and instead support the current year-in-residence requirement in men’s basketball,” Painter wrote. “As someone who has experience at all levels of the NCAA structure, I do not support the proposal as a high-major Division I coach and would not if I was still employed in Division II or Division III.

“As a member of the NABC Board of Directors and NCAA Men’s Basketball Oversight Committee, I spend significant time seeking input from coaches on how to best serve our sport and its student-athletes. On this topic, I am yet to hear any coach at any level support the immediate eligibility proposal. In fact, the consensus is that the rule change, should it go into effect, would be even more detrimental to the Divisions II and III levels.

“Make no mistake – this proposal would bring free agency to men’s college basketball. Every classification of student-athletes – both current and prospective – would experience uncertainty. The annual roster turnover would make college choices more difficult for high school prospects, and current student-athletes contemplating transfer would have less certainty with which to make decisions. As a coach, the ability to effectively teach and lead a program would be more difficult. And perhaps most significantly, remaining student-athletes would be left in an untenable situation in the likely event of a mass-exodus of teammates in a single offseason.

I agree with the sentiment of the letter, but it bugs me coming from someone who has complete free agency and would jump ship in a heartbeat for more money.

I get coaches are adult employees unlike kids on scholie, but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I think if a kid commits to a “school” they should have to honor that commitment. I know certain circumstances happen( illness in family, etc.) A scholarship Is a binding commitment and should be honored. I know coaches can leave whenever, however most of the time it comes with a penalty, like a buyout. So if a kid does transfer then I think sitting out a year is fair.
For What it’s worth. I don’t think “one and done” players are right either. Just my opinion though.

This would mean that Massengill will have to sit out and Green will probably be eligible because I think she was a totally different situation.
There is a God.
I see it just the opposite. Something unfair to me about a kid who got in trouble (possibly more than once) gets a better deal than a kid who kept her nose clean but was unhappy.

Jaz seems to be enemy #1 because she "abandoned" the team. But is rule breaking to the point you are forced out any better? Don't get me wrong, I want Zaay to be happy and successful but this feels like rewarding less than stellar behavior.

It's still interesting to me also that Jaz is so villianized but MiMi Collins got off the hook because she liked Holly. Do we know that was not the case with Jaz? In her statement she said she gave the new staff a chance (I know, that sounded entitled to the haters) but "things were different" and she decided to leave. Sounds like she was happier before, just like MiMi, but tried to stick it out, unlike MiMi. Also its possible Jaz left bc she lost her job; as the always reliable Deer Park told us, her vision of the pg role and the coach's were just different. So Jaz is the bad guy in all this, way more than Zaay or MiMi? I still don't get that.

I see it just the opposite. Something unfair to me about a kid who got in trouble (possibly more than once) gets a better deal than a kid who kept her nose clean but was unhappy.

Jaz seems to be enemy #1 because she "abandoned" the team. But is rule breaking to the point you are forced out any better? Don't get me wrong, I want Zaay to be happy and successful but this feels like rewarding less than stellar behavior.

It's still interesting to me also that Jaz is so villianized but MiMi Collins got off the hook because she liked Holly. Do we know that was not the case with Jaz? In her statement she said she gave the new staff a chance (I know, that sounded entitled to the haters) but "things were different" and she decided to leave. Sounds like she was happier before, just like MiMi, but tried to stick it out, unlike MiMi. Also its possible Jaz left bc she lost her job; as the always reliable Deer Park told us, her vision of the pg role and the coach's were just different. So Jaz is the bad guy in all this, way more than Zaay or MiMi? I still don't get that.
The only reason I say that is that when you take a players scholarship away and they have already sit out a season you would think they would be eligible. We didn't take Jaz scholarship she gave it up on her on to transfer and didn't sit out a season yet. They both may have to sit out if that rule does not go into effect, but I can see Green having a much better shot at playing than Jazz at this point. I don't have any problem with Jaz transferring if she feels she was not reaching her potential here. I am basing that Green would have the better opportunity to play based on each player's individual situation.

I am basing that Green would have the better opportunity to play based on each player's individual situation.
I guess that's my problem. Involuntary ouster due to rule breaking gives you a better opportunity than self-ouster due to perceived lack of being a proper fit after giving it a try and staying within all rules. Probably just me, but there's something off about that.

I've got no sympathy for anyone who jumps to a rival foe
NONE!
Rival foe as defined by you, right? I would remind you that Brenda Frese has long been LV enemy # 2. Rival is in the eye of the beholder. But rule breaking leading to ouster gets sympathy?

This is making me sound more harsh on Zaay than I actually feel, I really hope for the best for her.

Zaay will not have a better shot at playing than Jaz. See the Cooper situation at South Carolina. If there is any consistency at all, the ruling for Zaay would be the same as it was for Cooper.

Reactions: VolBall09
Rival foe as defined by you, right? But rule breaking leading to ouster gets sympathy?

This is making me sound more harsh on Zaay than I actually feel, I really hope for the best for her.
Zaay's move was forced, yes, by her own doing but forced and she didn't go to a contending rival,,she went closer to home base where she would have support.

Jaz did not impress me as giving 100% effort the whole season and jumped to one of our more recent heated rivalries. No sympathy from me...NONE

Last edited:
Reactions: LadyOrange
Players should definitely have to sit out a year if transferring within the same conference. If they go outside the conference, then I don't care as much. I am not sure where the talk of all the Jaz hate is coming from. I don't see it on this site, all I see is talk about all the hate. I don't hate any of them. I also don't care if they succeed or not. You are either with me or you're against me. If you aren't on my team, I couldn't care less if you are successful. When watching, I will pay more attention to how they do out of curiosity but if they fall flat, oh well.

I am and would be fine with Zaay sitting out and agree she should
Unless the no sit out rule passes, she definitely should. Sorry she already sat out an injury year, but that has no relation to the current situation. I think all weed rules are silly wastes of time, but it was the rule and she broke it, probably more than once. So she sits.

Reactions: Prophet1
I am not sure where the talk of all the Jaz hate is coming from. I don't see it on this site, all
]
See the Jaz is leaving thread. Seems she was a lazy, lack of effort player who dared to use the word "chance" regarding the staff. Also implied she was in the way of the true PG, Jordan.

]
See the Jaz is leaving thread. Seems she was a lazy, lack of effort player who dared to use the word "chance" regarding the staff. Also implied she was in the way of the true PG, Jordan.
Guess we just have different definitions of hate. I personally didn't see any of that in Jazz. I thought she was our most improved player and had turned into a fine little ball player. People saying the lack of effort and other stuff are just talking out of their rear. I saw every minute of every game and was at the SEC tourney. I didn't see a lack of effort from her at any time. It's true she wasn't an aggressive, put your head down and go point guard but that's not her style. I hated to see her leave but now that she's gone, don't care how she does. The relation to how she is spoken about related to Zaay is easy. Zaay didn't play last year. If she had played, I am sure the same people would be badmouthing her play as well. I don't pay a lot of attention to what they say about the players, I observe their play an make my own judgements. We just lost two good basketball players and that hurts, but we didn't have one of them playing last year so that blow is not quite as bad as losing Jaz. Next man up as they say. Can't worry about the ones that left.

VN Store

Back