NCAA LV SPOLERS, Automatic Qualifiers, and other tournament NEWS!

If we have to sit around sweating out mid-major tournaments in hopes that we can back into the tournament by default, then we truly are desperate. And "the streak" has become meaningless.

We weren't just barely making it into the tournament for its first 30 years. We were competing for championships each year. We were relevant.

The streaks that really showed our consistency as a power have already ended...being ranked, every 4-year player competing in a Final Four, SEC banners, etc...are history. If we were a top 30 team, that would be different even while being an indictment of how far we've fallen.

The pride 8n making the tournament was not just being there but being a competitive threat. Just making a token appearance is so far removed from our legacy that, IMO, it doesn't really count. It's extremely embarrassing to hear all this pity focus from announcers obsessing over whether we'll "get in" instead of whether we'll win it all.

If we just want game experience, the WNIT is available. I'm more concerned with our getting back to relevance as an elite program than maintaining a meaningless streak unless we're prepared to prove we belong by winning at least two games.
Agree...and after watching some of the teams competing for their conference championships and to watch the fire and precision they play with -it further illustrates the uphill climb we have.

Most concerning for a lot of fans is the lack of quality play on the court compared to these teams. Because yes, there are teams out there more talented than we are at the moment but not enough difference to explain the large chasm we see compared to these teams in execution.

Let’s hope Harper can turn this thing around.

If we have to sit around sweating out mid-major tournaments in hopes that we can back into the tournament by default, then we truly are desperate. And "the streak" has become meaningless.

We weren't just barely making it into the tournament for its first 30 years. We were competing for championships each year. We were relevant.

The streaks that really showed our consistency as a power have already ended...being ranked, every 4-year player competing in a Final Four, SEC banners, etc...are history. If we were a top 30 team, that would be different even while being an indictment of how far we've fallen.

The pride 8n making the tournament was not just being there but being a competitive threat. Just making a token appearance is so far removed from our legacy that, IMO, it doesn't really count. It's extremely embarrassing to hear all this pity focus from announcers obsessing over whether we'll "get in" instead of whether we'll win it all.

If we just want game experience, the WNIT is available. I'm more concerned with our getting back to relevance as an elite program than maintaining a meaningless streak unless we're prepared to prove we belong by winning at least two games.
Well said. Hoping for an 11th seed on selection day is something that non P5 schools should do. We have reached an all time low begging and hoping to get in.

Reactions: Chippo and Tnphil
So now TN is not in? I thought based on everything that’s happened so far, TN looked good to get in?

We do have to sit around sweating mid majors, we are desperate, we're not relevant, we have fallen very far and we're not a legit threat to do much once there. And it is painful and embarrassing to hear pity focus etc. This is not 1996-2008. LOL, its like being in rehab, if we can't admit our current situation honestly we'll never change it. I'm surprised so many are so surprised that this is where we are. Been watching the last few years?

So what should we do? Refuse an invite because we don't really deserve it and we're no threat to "win it all"? Actually, its a good point that the WNIT would offer more game experience against competition we are more likely to experience success against. But of course if offered the NCAA (and I think we will be) thats what will happen and we'll hope for the best and prepare for the same early out we got last year. I would consider one win and decent show in a second game a major success in terms of the reality of our current circumstances.

Am I happy that's how far we've fallen? No. Am I resigned this will be the permanent future for the LVs? No. Has this regular season given me alot of hope it's getting turned around anytime soon? No. If anything, it's reinforced what a long hard trip its going to be, how incremental the improvement is. 30 games in, I'm still not sure how much of our middling status is "talent" deficit, how much is previous lack of player development that can be reversed, and how much is coaching. IMO, next season will tell much of the tale on this.

Meantime I hope for the NCAA and the last, if meaningless, streak to stand. But I'll be fine with the WNIT as long as we do well in it. And I'll, perhaps stupidly, continue to wait for the magic day we put together a complete game with minimal turnovers and actual offensive flow throughout. First baby step onward and upward. Can't see that sitting home pouting cuz we ain't what we used to be would be helpful in any way.

Last edited:
Don't deserve to make it this year
They'll be lots of teams with 20 wins against middlin to bad teams who make it. Are we less deserving b/c of who we used to be and hope to be again? And what's the follow on to being undeserving? Should KJH turn down the NCAA invite if it comes?

Maybe instead of an NCAA patch on the unis ours could say "Formerly elite. Don't deserve to be here."

Bracketology with Charlie Creme

Were still in, who still has to play, looks like not enough to push us out since were not even in the last four. It looks like Creme has us as the first number 11 seed so we could still be a ten but that doesn't matter.

The schedule has more to do with where we are than anything else you replace four games in our non-conference schedule with 150 rpi teams and your an easy 8 seed even with just one top 50 rpi win. The schedule was very unfavorable to us as far as playing top 50 teams. Four at home and six on the road. We were 0 and 6 on the road and 1 and 3 at home. We should've beat A&M that was on the player 10 free throw misses has nothing to do with coaching. Some of our players on the free throw line illustrates their offensive skills. If you can't make free throws you are almost certainly also a terrible offensive player. There are of course exceptions, but 9 out of 10 times it holds true that you will not be an effective offensive player and even if you score a lot will not be in an efficient way.

We do have to sit around sweating mid majors, we are desperate, we're not relevant, we have fallen very far and we're not a legit threat to do much once there. And it is painful and embarrassing to hear pity focus etc. This is not 1996-2008. LOL, its like being in rehab, if we can't admit our current situation honestly we'll never change it. I'm surprised so many are so surprised that this is where we are. Been watching the last few years?

So what should we do? Refuse an invite because we don't really deserve it and we're no threat to "win it all"? Actually, its a good point that the WNIT would offer more game experience against competition we are more likely to experience success against. But of course if offered the NCAA (and I think we will be) thats what will happen and we'll hope for the best and prepare for the same early out we got last year. I would consider one win and decent show in a second game a major success in terms of the reality of our current circumstances.

Am I happy that's how far we've fallen? No. Am I resigned this will be the permanent future for the LVs? No. Has this regular season given me alot of hope it's getting turned around anytime soon? No. If anything, it's reinforced what a long hard trip its going to be, how incremental the improvement is. 30 games in, I'm still not sure how much of our middling status is "talent" deficit, how much is previous lack of player development that can be reversed, and how much is coaching. IMO, next season will tell much of the tale on this.

Meantime I hope for the NCAA and the last, if meaningless, streak to stand. But I'll be fine with the WNIT as long as we do well in it. And I'll, perhaps stupidly, continue to wait for the magic day we put together a complete game with minimal turnovers and actual offensive flow throughout. First baby step onward and upward. Can't see that sitting home pouting cuz we ain't what we used to be would be helpful in any way.

Playing in the wnit tournament would be like going to somebody's house for a dance because we weren't invited to the prom. If we go to the wnit we are admitting that we are less of a program than we were. And I'm not ready for that

NEW UPDATE ON ALL OPs!!!
As of 12:20 3/9/20

New relevant game times!
Teams movements!
Potential Bid gainers/losers!
New LV region and position within seeding!

As always newest updates BOLD. Older updates downgraded to ITALICS!!!

Reactions: lvocd
Tell us why you think we should get in but 1st take off the orange colored glasses.

Because there aren't 34 at-large teams with better résumés than Tennessee. The Lady Vols are not a good team by any stretch of the imagination, but they haven't lost a game to a team that isn't making the NCAA Tournament and that's a heck of a lot better than most schools actually on the bubble can say.

Tell us why you think we should get in but 1st take off the orange colored glasses.
I really don’t see any other teams who deserve to make it.... unless they can upset their conference tournaments. May teams moving IN don’t even have anymore games left. The bottom is so tight that it’s barely affecting us anymore. Apart from the bracketology angle, we finished 3rd in the SEC, we played most of our big games away. We have also been extremely competitive in nearly all of them with a few coming down to 1 possession (that’s a team that may surprise you later imo). As don’t think high level talent or sales won’t affect the final decision. The LVs still sell just look at the UConn game. As to that game, we are also considered a GOOD WIN to many of these top teams including many from the SEC and may be one of Texas’s top 3. It’s a little ironic to call us a good win when we couldn’t even make the tournament.

VN Store

Back