NCAA -- About to blow us up, or fizzle out?

I've seen some people on VN say we are about to get hammered by the NCAA like the old days with SMU. I've also seen people on here say that the NCAA is about to dissolve for the sport of football. So which is it? Is the NCAA powerful enough to hammer us, or is it a shadow of its old self and in rapid decline? Enlighten me, VN brethren.

Reactions: vavolfan6
Tennessee will get something……I wouldn’t suspect it would be anything more than what we’ve seen over the past several years with other programs.

Tennessee got rid of their AD and football coaches. They have been at least somewhat open with this investigation……..it’s not like their trying to LSU all of this.

Just my opinion

You'll never see an SMU situation again. USC got the biggest penalty of anyone in a long time. I think it was 30 scholarships and a 2 year bowl ban. They also had multiple sports being sanctioned at the same time when they got their penalities. Alabama got a pretty big one back around 2000 but it was their third major sanctions event in a 7 year period. They kept getting in trouble while they were on probation and the NCAA director said they came as close to getting the death penalty as anyone since SMU.

Since then the NCAA has came back toothless. Especially with basketball. They let North Carolina skate completely for running a fake class for athletes. They let Syracuse off with a slap on the wrist after it was revealed they were cheating from something like 2000 to 2015. Miami and Oregon got nothing compared to USC. Missouri told them to go fly a kite when they came after Frank Haith. He got suspended for 8 games for doing far far far worse than anything Pearl did. Penn State even ended up with lesser penalties than USC after the NCAA reduced their sentence on appeal. What should be hugely in our favor is that we cleaned out the athletics department, have worked hand in hand with the NCAA and we haven't been on probation for major sanctions in the football program before. So we aren't a repeat offender like Alabama and USC.

Andy Staples' Opinion

"No school in 2021 should be scared of an NCAA investigation. The NCAA won’t resort to the television bans it used to wield like a hammer because banning Tennessee from TV hurts the other schools in the SEC and the other schools in the SEC — which also help make the NCAA’s rules — don’t want that. A postseason ban is still possible, but Tennessee could proactively ban itself from the next two Birmingham Bowls and be done with that punishment. A show-cause penalty for the head football coach doesn’t matter in this case because the head football coach already got fired. Ditto for the AD. The NCAA could strip scholarships, but the public has little appetite for bureaucrats punishing current 17-year-olds for things some old people did years ago. The NCAA could vacate wins, but Pruitt barely won any games to vacate. (And few people actually care if wins get vacated.) The university and conference employees who make up the NCAA’s Committee on Infractions understand that they’re working from a very limited menu of punishments at this point.

In fact, if a Pruitt lawsuit reveals more dirt, Tennessee should welcome further inquiry. Pruitt was already fired. Fulmer was too, even if the school didn’t frame it that way. The Vols should call the NCAA enforcement staff and invite investigators to come down to Knoxville. Maybe they could give them some Petro’s Chili and Chips gift cards because the stay could last a while and those investigators might get hooked on that Hint of Orange iced tea. Tennessee should say “Give us the Ole Miss treatment,” begging the NCAA to investigate for years. Why? Because the longer this takes, the more likely the Vols run out the clock on the NCAA."

I've seen some people on VN say we are about to get hammered by the NCAA like the old days with SMU. I've also seen people on here say that the NCAA is about to dissolve for the sport of football. So which is it? Is the NCAA powerful enough to hammer us, or is it a shadow of its old self and in rapid decline? Enlighten me, VN brethren.
The NCAA said they wouldn't do what they did to SMU ever again a long time ago. I hope they do dissolve, I think the SEC can handle the business of compliance here better than the NCAA.

Reactions: voldurham
I think if they give us a penalty that’s reasonable that’s fine, but if they try to hammer us we tell them to politely f*** off.

I have not heard any tapes of any coach talking to or about paying money to any recruit or parent of a recruit. In basketball, even those who have had their gifts taped still have not been punished. I now believe they never will be punished. The NCAA are still punishing football violators and I expect they will continue to punish football violators but maybe not to th extent they have in the past. I do not believe any School will be punished as severely as SMU was. SMU never admitted to their violations and I believe the fact that Tennessee admitted what happen and took some extensive actions to make amends to correct the coaches actions, and put in place policies that to help prevent such actions in the future. Based on these actions, I believe the NCAA will be reasonable in their punishment to Tennessee.

It's hard to say with the position they're in. On the one hand they could try to hammer us to set a example and try to garner some legitimacy. But there's a good chance Tennessee would tell them to go pound sand if they do that. Which looks even worse for them. We may actually end up sticking the final dagger in the NCAA, depending on how this plays out.

As it is in most cases, the truth/outcome lies somewhere in the middle.

Will be almost nothing and if they try anything more tell them to “ pound sand “ so to speak. The days of getting anything major at all are 100% over

You'll never see an SMU situation again. USC got the biggest penalty of anyone in a long time. I think it was 30 scholarships and a 2 year bowl ban. They also had multiple sports being sanctioned at the same time when they got their penalities. Alabama got a pretty big one back around 2000 but it was their third major sanctions event in a 7 year period. They kept getting in trouble while they were on probation and the NCAA director said they came as close to getting the death penalty as anyone since SMU.

Since then the NCAA has came back toothless. Especially with basketball. They let North Carolina skate completely for running a fake class for athletes. They let Syracuse off with a slap on the wrist after it was revealed they were cheating from something like 2000 to 2015. Miami and Oregon got nothing compared to USC. Missouri told them to go fly a kite when they came after Frank Haith. He got suspended for 8 games for doing far far far worse than anything Pearl did. Penn State even ended up with lesser penalties than USC after the NCAA reduced their sentence on appeal. What should be hugely in our favor is that we cleaned out the athletics department, have worked hand in hand with the NCAA and we haven't been on probation for major sanctions in the football program before. So we aren't a repeat offender like Alabama and USC.

Not that it should make a difference but coming down hard on us will look sorta ridiculous as they have now decided in all their wisdom that it is ok to pay players. Now in the case of UT vis Pruitt - - -

When was the last time the ncaa did anything to anybody? Serious question.

What happened to Miami after Nevin Shapiro? UNC?
They are so inconsistent with penalties that who knows what they will do but the only thing consistent about them is that they are a joke.

Unless there is something really dirty that they dig up that we don't know about, I think NCAA will just accept the penalties that Tennessee is already self-imposed.

In fact they are more likely to go after Pruitt than Tennessee. Going off recent precedence, the NCAA has been more interested in punishing the actual wrong doers than the schools because the schools often remove the wrong doers so historically the NCAA has been punishing the wrong people.

VN Store

Back