NC State any good?

UGA lost a lot of talent. I know they always replace talent with more talent, but for the first time a long while, they lack of true elite talent at the skill positions. I personally don't think Beck is that good. And I think his stats will take a big hit losing Bowers and McConkey.

Our biggest issue with UGA, just like the last 3 years, will be getting the offense going. If we can get the offense going, they won't be able to keep up, imo.
Georgia’s Dline kicking the crap out of our Oline in particular has been the issue though. If we can’t fix that the skill guys won’t get going anyways.

What? anyone? really? Right now UGA and OSU are the top programs as far as talent in the country bar none with Michigan and Bama in second tier. Is UGA as strong as they have been the last 3-4 years? no but they are still way ahead of everyone else especially with the vacuum Saban retiring caused. This is a school that has 3 star walkon level talent.

I think people seriously misunderstand the difference in talent levels in states like CA, TX , FL and GA. Its a math problem. Dallas texas, Atlanta Georgia and name a random big city in CA or FL and those cities alone put out more D1 talent than almost any other state. Part of it is population. But to be totally honest most 5 stars in TN would be at best 4 stars in those states. Have you ever noticed this..most times when someone runs up on a crazy 3 star or no star that blows up where are they from?

The competition level is so high there because math is undefeated. If I'm drawing from a pool of millions vs a pool of ten of thousands I have better chances of finding a hidden gem. Heat creates diamonds. Most Americans don't get this concept. Our cities are small population-wise. The US has 1 cty with a population over 4 mil NYC. LA is 3.8 the rest of the BIG cities are approaching 3. I can name 5 cities in India you've never heard of with pops bigger than that. China has 10 cities you have never heard of bigger than LA. The USA has a pop of around 333 mil.. sounds like a lot right? The Philippines...if you squished all the islands together has a square mileage a bit bigger than Chattanooga. They have a pop of 115 mil. If they ever got serious about basketball or football we'd be in trouble. Luckily for us Badmitton and ping pong are the big sports there.
Good post, but you got some things wrong about the Philippines. The land area of the Philippines is approx. 115,000 square miles. In comparison, the land area of the state of Tennessee is approx 42,000 sq miles. You got the population right, but can you imagine 115,000,000 people living in a land area the size of Chattanooga? Basketball is hugely popular in the Philippines, as is cockfighting. Walk in to a small eatery or hotel lobby and you might see an NBA game on the tube. They have their own leagues there, with good players, but those short guys aren't a threat to the NBA. Billiards is another popular sport, and filipinos are a threat. Badminton and ping pong? No. Sorry to be petty, your overall post was good.

Would be a great year if that happens. I think we’re going to have some bumps along the way though. Nico’s first year starting, a very young secondary, a lot of experience on both lines but I think we’re somewhat thin on the Oline as far as proven, quality depth. I could see 10 wins but I could more realistically see 8-4. Definitely could see this as a playoff team if everything goes right and there’s no major injuries or mistakes; that just usually never happens.

NC State is plenty good to beat us early in the season. They will be a much better team than the Florida team we lost to last year. I do think this team if it can stay healthy will get better and better as the season goes by. I would not want to play us towards the end of the season.
I think 8-4 is possible, but I see that as the floor with this team. If we are 8-4 or worse, I think it would have to be because of injuries. If we remain healthy I see us at 9-3 or 10-2.

Even if we lose 2 out of 3 to Bama, Oklahoma, and Georgia we could slip up again and go 9-3. No Missouri, LSU, or USCe on the schedule helps tremendously, and I’m not afraid of NC State at all.

Miss St and Arkansas aren’t gimme wins but I def like our chances in both. We get both UK and Florida at home as well. Hard to see this team at worse than 9-3 with an easier schedule than we faced in ‘22.

Reactions: VAVol85
I think 8-4 is possible, but I see that as the floor with this team. If we are 8-4 or worse, I think it would have to be because of injuries. If we remain healthy I see us at 9-3 or 10-2.

Even if we lose 2 out of 3 to Bama, Oklahoma, and Georgia we could slip up again and go 9-3. No Missouri, LSU, or USCe on the schedule helps tremendously, and I’m not afraid of NC State at all.

Miss St and Arkansas aren’t gimme wins but I def like our chances in both. We get both UK and Florida at home as well. Hard to see this team at worse than 9-3 with an easier schedule than we faced in ‘22.

I believe NC State is better than Miss St and Arky.

I believe NC State is better than Miss St and Arky.
I would agree with that. NC State is prob closer to UK level, but we’re playing them on a neutral field instead of Fayetteville, Arkansas. There will be plenty of orange in Charlotte. Miss St in Knoxville shouldn’t be a problem.

Reactions: vols 30
What? anyone? really? Right now UGA and OSU are the top programs as far as talent in the country bar none with Michigan and Bama in second tier. Is UGA as strong as they have been the last 3-4 years? no but they are still way ahead of everyone else especially with the vacuum Saban retiring caused. This is a school that has 3 star walkon level talent.

I think people seriously misunderstand the difference in talent levels in states like CA, TX , FL and GA. Its a math problem. Dallas texas, Atlanta Georgia and name a random big city in CA or FL and those cities alone put out more D1 talent than almost any other state. Part of it is population. But to be totally honest most 5 stars in TN would be at best 4 stars in those states. Have you ever noticed this..most times when someone runs up on a crazy 3 star or no star that blows up where are they from?

The competition level is so high there because math is undefeated. If I'm drawing from a pool of millions vs a pool of ten of thousands I have better chances of finding a hidden gem. Heat creates diamonds. Most Americans don't get this concept. Our cities are small population-wise. The US has 1 cty with a population over 4 mil NYC. LA is 3.8 the rest of the BIG cities are approaching 3. I can name 5 cities in India you've never heard of with pops bigger than that. China has 10 cities you have never heard of bigger than LA. The USA has a pop of around 333 mil.. sounds like a lot right? The Philippines...if you squished all the islands together has a square mileage a bit bigger than Chattanooga. They have a pop of 115 mil. If they ever got serious about basketball or football we'd be in trouble. Luckily for us Badmitton and ping pong are the big sports there.
Your geography is way way off concerning the Philippines, Manila dwarfs chattanooga

Your geography is way way off concerning the Philippines, Manila dwarfs chattanooga
Yes I was off by a factor of 1000 the fact still stands. A place half the size of Texas has 1/3 the population of all 50 states. In the grand scheme, America has a very low density of population. Victim of a quick google

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Would be a great year if that happens. I think we’re going to have some bumps along the way though. Nico’s first year starting, a very young secondary, a lot of experience on both lines but I think we’re somewhat thin on the Oline as far as proven, quality depth. I could see 10 wins but I could more realistically see 8-4. Definitely could see this as a playoff team if everything goes right and there’s no major injuries or mistakes; that just usually never happens.

NC State is plenty good to beat us early in the season. They will be a much better team than the Florida team we lost to last year. I do think this team if it can stay healthy will get better and better as the season goes by. I would not want to play us towards the end of the season.
10 wins is more realistic than 8. 8 wins means everything that can go wrong went wrong. Kinda like last year.

Milton was average, we had a ton of injuries to key players and we had receivers that couldn't separate. Still finished 9-4. Our roster projects to be much better than that, especially on offense at the QB and WR positions. Vastly improved.

Secondary isn't that young at all.

Ricky Gibson and Jermod McCoy will be two true sophomores we really depend on, but Gibson has already looked the part and Jermod was one of the best corners in the PAC 12 as a true freshman.

Jakobe Thomas 4th year
Turrentine 4th
Will Brooks 5th
Christian Charles 4th
Jourdan Thomas 3rd
Christian Harrison 3rd
Jalen McMurray 4th
John Slaughter 2nd
Jordan Matthews 2nd
William Wright 5th

Maybe some of the freshmen like Boo Carter help, but that's plenty of experience and most importantly it's a vastly more athletic group. They still have to prove themselves to be decent, but I don't know if you can really call them young.

NC State should not really have a chance. We have big issues if we do. Their d-line is incredibly suspect and I don't see how they can handle our d-line upfront.

Pitt did well against us because of how they played defensively. They had an elite D-line, they were physical at corner and we shot ourselves in the foot. McCall and their weapons scare me, but this is a huge mismatch at the line of scrimmage.

EDIT: They also play only 3 down linemen against us....yikes. they may take away a lot of our deep shots, but we will run all over them if they line up like that.

Cooper, Heard, Campbell, Sprags and whoever starts at LG will mow them down.

I've seen a couple of preseason rankings have NC State ranked in the top 25. Isn't their projected starter at QB a transfer?

It's a team I wouldn't take lightly. I'm sure we won't.
QB is from Coastal Carolina. He went33-7 as a starter there beating BYU, and several other big time programs with high school kids. Jamey Chadwell is a hell of coach and now at Liberty.

Reactions: vols 30
Georgia’s Dline kicking the crap out of our Oline in particular has been the issue though. If we can’t fix that the skill guys won’t get going anyways.
That and their DBs were all over our receivers. Plus their backers are quick in space.

If ive learned anything from VN with games like this, is that when the majority say it'll be tough, we will blow them out. It's when everyone thinks we're gonna win.... That's when to worry 😆😆😆

Seriously... Should be a decent test early, but we should win handily.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
If we don’t beat them by at least 2 TDs that means our offense is nowhere as good as we hoped.
Good thing it’s only game 2 then right… although I do believe we win by 2 tds speaking in absolutes is silly that early in the season… our 2022 dominant offense struggled vs Pitt week 2 but got much better as the season went on… I can see a scenario where this nc state game could be closer than we hope but I wouldn’t be any less confident because of it… Heup knows what it takes to win a championship and they all won’t be pretty just find a way to win each week is the name of the game…

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
That and their DBs were all over our receivers. Plus their backers are quick in space.
Easier to be all over the WR when the Dline crushes the Oline especially in the interior. Qb doesn’t have time nor vision to complete the pass. Their DBs were good, we did ourselves no favors in the first game though.

VN Store

Back