NC State any good?

They don't play in a very good conference and it doesn't look like they ever crack the top 25 in recruiting either. I know they've hit the transfer portal lately but I'll be a little concerned if it's a close game in the second half.

They typically underachieve early on under Dave Doeren. They always scrape by against an ECU or someone similar. Last year they beat UCONN by 10 and UVA by 3. Obviously that’s last year, but they’re not built to play a fast paced team like us. Doeren is basically Mark Stoops 2.0, but they play in weaker conference so they can get to 8-9 wins consistently. If we get up early and control tempo we can potentially run away with the game .
NC State loaded up with some interesting weapons in the portal, especially on offense but in their secondary and linebackers also. Most of their offense is gonna be portal guys that were either highly rated guys that sat on the bench in places like Ohio State (WR, RB) or guys that overachieved at small schools and are cashing in (QB, TE). So they have a lot of potential talent coming in they also return a fairly dangerous weapon at the slot, number 10 is a squirrel like fella. Depending on how well they gel they could pose some serious problems for our secondary. As far as their defense I don't see it standing up to our offense. There are only a few teams nationally that have the personnel to play with Hypes offense. Unless we have some serious issues on offense which I don't see happening we should be good.

Florida will always be a threat, even when they are bad they are gonna be up for a game against us like Vandy is and like Kentucky is. Should we beat all those teams this season? for sure. But, none of those guys are gonna just lay down. Our schedule this year could end up being harder than it seems now on paper. I am happy we swapped out USC and MIssou for Arkansas and Miss State on the schedule

I think those first 3 games are gonna tell us where this team is headed. If they come out hot and gel and the defense gets to gain some confidence we could be a threat. But if we are very vulnerable to injuries at RB and our secondary not being ready. Those are the keys to this season because we are fairly deep at every other position assuming a healthy Nico.

NCSU did a great job in the portal this year. They got a proven good QB in Gayson McCall, a good running back Jordan Waters, and TE Justin Joly. Joly played for UConn last year and did very well against UT.

I think this will be a close game. Probably good to play them early in the season before all these new players are working well as a team.

Overall, I think UT has the better players and should win this game. (but that was true of USCe a couple year ago).
G(r)ayson from Coastal Carolina is good and NC St coach has a good history with transfers.

Reactions: Dansky
If we come to play and don't play flat, NC State won't have the horses to keep up. They haven't seen an offense like ours.

Concepcion is a dangerous player on offense and McCall is a an experienced QB. But, I don't think they'll be able to keep up offensively.

G(r)ayson from Coastal Carolina is good and NC St coach has a good history with transfers.
Yeah, and he has some good weapons to throw to, including the TE Jolly who we all wanted. Some of y'all might not want to believe it, but this will be a real test to our newly put together secondary. Wouldn't surprise me if it turned in to a shoot out.

That being said it's also a good opportunity to see our DL take over a game.

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
I mean, maybe they are okay to pretty good, but if this is Tennessee's measuring stick, be prepared for a very long and disappointing season.

The Vols absolutely need to take care of business against NC State. No disrespect to NC State, but if the Vols want to and should be competing at a very high level in SEC play, the Vols need to be at least a couple of score better than the Wolfpack in my opinion.

I mean, maybe they are okay to pretty good, but if this is Tennessee's measuring stick, be prepared for a very long and disappointing season.

The Vols absolutely need to take care of business against NC State. No disrespect to NC State, but if the Vols want to and should be competing at a very high level in SEC play, the Vols need to be at least a couple of score better than the Wolfpack in my opinion.
I agreee, but we also had to have OT to beat Pitt a few years ago when we beat UF, LSU and Bama.

I agreee, but we also had to have OT to beat Pitt a few years ago when we beat UF, LSU and Bama.
The program was rising from the depths of football hell when that happened and the team really didn't know what they had and it all came together.

I think, at this point, the program is much more sound and should perform that way......

Yes. Losing to Georgia is expected. Losing to those 3 is possible and could derail our season.
I don't think anyone should expect to lose to UGA anymore. Vols should be able to compete and win, in my opinion.

Historically, the Vols have had the upper hand on UGA and it's only been the most recent years UGA has had the upper hand. Those days are over, my friend

I don't think anyone should expect to lose to UGA anymore. Vols should be able to compete and win, in my opinion.

Historically, the Vols have had the upper hand on UGA and it's only been the most recent years UGA has had the upper hand. Those days are over, my friend

You’ve been saying that for a decade now

Reactions: Dansky

What? anyone? really? Right now UGA and OSU are the top programs as far as talent in the country bar none with Michigan and Bama in second tier. Is UGA as strong as they have been the last 3-4 years? no but they are still way ahead of everyone else especially with the vacuum Saban retiring caused. This is a school that has 3 star walkon level talent.

I think people seriously misunderstand the difference in talent levels in states like CA, TX , FL and GA. Its a math problem. Dallas texas, Atlanta Georgia and name a random big city in CA or FL and those cities alone put out more D1 talent than almost any other state. Part of it is population. But to be totally honest most 5 stars in TN would be at best 4 stars in those states. Have you ever noticed this..most times when someone runs up on a crazy 3 star or no star that blows up where are they from?

The competition level is so high there because math is undefeated. If I'm drawing from a pool of millions vs a pool of ten of thousands I have better chances of finding a hidden gem. Heat creates diamonds. Most Americans don't get this concept. Our cities are small population-wise. The US has 1 cty with a population over 4 mil NYC. LA is 3.8 the rest of the BIG cities are approaching 3. I can name 5 cities in India you've never heard of with pops bigger than that. China has 10 cities you have never heard of bigger than LA. The USA has a pop of around 333 mil.. sounds like a lot right? The Philippines...if you squished all the islands together has a square mileage a bit bigger than Chattanooga. They have a pop of 115 mil. If they ever got serious about basketball or football we'd be in trouble. Luckily for us Badmitton and ping pong are the big sports there.

The program was rising from the depths of football hell when that happened and the team really didn't know what they had and it all came together.

I think, at this point, the program is much more sound and should perform that way......
I think we played very poorly that game and have a majority of the time the past 3 years. LSU and UK have been notable exceptions.

I think this NC State team is probably a slight step below the Kentucky team we beat last year. 38-20 Vols feels about right.

UGA lost a lot of talent. I know they always replace talent with more talent, but for the first time a long while, they lack of true elite talent at the skill positions. I personally don't think Beck is that good. And I think his stats will take a big hit losing Bowers and McConkey.

Our biggest issue with UGA, just like the last 3 years, will be getting the offense going. If we can get the offense going, they won't be able to keep up, imo.

I got 10 wins. Losses to Ga and maybe OK.
Would be a great year if that happens. I think we’re going to have some bumps along the way though. Nico’s first year starting, a very young secondary, a lot of experience on both lines but I think we’re somewhat thin on the Oline as far as proven, quality depth. I could see 10 wins but I could more realistically see 8-4. Definitely could see this as a playoff team if everything goes right and there’s no major injuries or mistakes; that just usually never happens.

NC State is plenty good to beat us early in the season. They will be a much better team than the Florida team we lost to last year. I do think this team if it can stay healthy will get better and better as the season goes by. I would not want to play us towards the end of the season.

Reactions: Dansky and VFL9798

VN Store

Back