'20 NC QB Navy Shuler

I was young when Shuler played, did he have a reputation of dumb decisions?

No. He was a great QB. What I remember was his NFL Wonderlic score was in the mid teens and that is considered very low and particularly for a QB.

Had two classes with Heath... Very nice guy, great QB, but not the sharpest pencil in the box... didn't come to one class except the first and last day... but passed.

Heath was always a favorite of mine. Second in Heisman voting. (However, it was a surprise to me he finished that high as opposed to six years later).

Maybe it is just me, but if I saw Navy Shuler on the street, the first thing that would cross my mind is that he looks a whole lot like Heath Shuler when he was young.

Heath was always a favorite of mine. Second in Heisman voting. (However, it was a surprise to me he finished that high as opposed to six years later).

Maybe it is just me, but if I saw Navy Shuler on the street, the first thing that would cross my mind is that he looks a whole lot like Heath Shuler when he was young.

Forgot about that. Charlie Ward definitely deserved that Heisman though. Just went back and looked at the finalists. Pretty funny list. Marshall Faulk 4th. JJ Stokes in there. I remember thinking he would be a good pro. But the best is Trent Dilfer at 9th. hahaha.

1993 Heisman Trophy Voting | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Reactions: 1 person
Had two classes with Heath... Very nice guy, great QB, but not the sharpest pencil in the box... didn't come to one class except the first and last day... but passed.

I had a Marketing class with him in the spring of '93. I don't have many memories of him because he hardly ever came to it and when he did he would put his head down and sleep. He seemed friendly though - the few times I saw him.

* We had a blizzard that March, I do remember seeing him and Faulkner pelting each other with snow balls outside the UC.

Last edited:
I had a Marketing class with him in the spring of '93. I don't have many memories of him because he hardly ever came to it and when he did he would put his head down and sleep. He seemed friendly though - the few times I saw him.

* We had a blizzard that March, I do remember seeing him and Faulkner pelting each other with snow balls outside the UC.

Yeah that blizzard was epic and crazy fun... I pulled football players behind my bronco as they sat on and in mixing bowls and metal trays from the fraternity house kitchen... At one point I had like four linemen like water skiers all being pulled by rope from my back bumper... good thing it held... that was 1200lbs+ of beef going down the road!

Reactions: davethevol
Shuler definitely doesn't receive enough love around here. He was a tremendous player.

If I was ranking the best performances by a Tennessee QB (considering the quality of the opponent and importance of the game), I would put Shuler vs Georgia in '92 at #1. JMO.

Reactions: 1 person
So he went to class twice and passed? Sounds like a genius to me!

He certainly raked it in in the business world.

Had a UGA fan come up to me at work, talking about property in Rutledge TN. I said, you know who's a boss out there? Heath Shuler! He said 'who?' i said, do me a favor. Google Georgia - Heath Shuler. Told him all you Johnny Come Lately UGA fans have no idea.

Reactions: 2 people
Yeah that blizzard was epic and crazy fun... I pulled football players behind my bronco as they sat on and in mixing bowls and metal trays from the fraternity house kitchen... At one point I had like four linemen like water skiers all being pulled by rope from my back bumper... good thing it held... that was 1200lbs+ of beef going down the road!

Drank a lot of Beer that blizzard. Fun times at UT!

Benji came to several of our keg parties. Don’t think Heath drank. Good boys.

Heath never even had a soft drink before college. Milk and water his entire life. Straight from Bryson City.

Heath was such a good athlete and team player he played on the OL his freshman year at Swain high school before taking over at QB his So season.

Loved Heath. He is solidly the second best quarterback to play at Tennessee behind only Peyton IMO. The guy played against Alabama with a separated shoulder. Tough guy that gave 110%. Some of are recent players would do well to watch some of his games and take notes.

Yeah I'd have him right behind Peyton too. Wonder what some people's top 5 Vol QB's would look like. I would definitely start with Peyton then Heath but it gets tougher to sort out after them.

You judged a man's intelligence based on hearsay, his accomplishments speak for themselves and prove just the opposite. :ermm:

no pissing match...but....
Intelligence question came from personal friends of his. I never said anything about his life outside of the University of Tennessee. I praised him as a player and said he was unheralded in UT lore. I didn't judge him, just repeated what I was told. Others on here has said the same.

You JUDGED me for being biased politically, with not a word typed about anything along those lines. You have no idea where I stand.... and won't. Does not belong here anyway. You made a stupid and I'll advised post. That is not hearsay.

Reactions: VolNavy01

VN Store

Back