Nat’l Championship Thread

I agree with this.

For the most part Lobo has never bothered me, and I think she does a pretty good job. But the campaigning for CT to stay in Bridgeport this particular season went too far for me.

I typically don't mind a teeny bit of homerism by former players, to be honest. A teeny TINY bit, though.

I don't either, but I agree about the lobbying this year. They have won a lot, but they have also been given a lot - and for her to push for them to be given even more was ridiculous. But it's like I said. The Huskies have this NCAA tournament thing figured out. They've rigged the game in their favor, with the blessings of everyone around them, and they get away with it, year after year. "Oh but no one will attend unless it's near UConn!" Same old thing. All the time.

Lobo, for obvious reasons has Uconn affinities. I think she tries to keep them in check but they do come out. But in comparison to Doris Burke, who used to call these games, Lobo is a paragon of impartiality.

Right? lol You'd think Burke was a UConn alum AND married to Geno with how she would go on while doing their games.

During the last weeks of the regular season, Lobo lobbied on ESPN's shows for UConn to get placed in Bridgeport. She said, paraphrasing, that "UConn deserved to be in Bridgeport." And spent time explaining why they ought to get to go to Bridgeport. If that's not homer talk for a supposedly national sports broadcast, I don't know what would be.

I don't know why she was doing that, anyway, when it's clear UConn is the reason why the Bridgeport regional exists to begin with. Of course they're going to be placed there.

Reactions: mcannon1
Kentucky is the SEC tournament Champs and the automatic bid getter. The SEC unlike the ACC recognize the regular season champions as the true champions. We had this discussion on another board so pull it up if you don't believe me.
The SEC recognizes both, and with the automatic bid, the Tournament trumps the regular season.

Reactions: LV renaissance
The SEC recognizes both, and with the automatic bid, the Tournament trumps the regular season.

This is false:

The tournament was first held in 1980, and originally determined the conference champion. Even after the SEC began a uniform conference schedule in the 1982–83 season, the tournament continued to determine the official conference champion through the 1985 edition. Starting in the 1985–86 season, the SEC began awarding its official conference championship solely to the team(s) with the best regular-season record. This change brought SEC women's basketball in line with men's basketball, in which the SEC has awarded its official conference title based on regular-season record since the 1950–51 season

I agree with you but Dawn should have gotten ahead of this if she knew that was how timing would work. This is absolutely cat nip for some. You know how this will be played on certain news outlets.
You can't get ahead of stupidity. Stupidity has it's own following that will believe anything.

Reactions: glv98
Lord help me, I actually tried to listen to that early and it became so repulsive and woke and Paige Beuckers cheerleading and then they brought LeBron on and I was out. I can't believe I ever heard two women who ought know better try to sound as if they're hip and dialed in to high school chic.
Woke....a word used by political people who tried to translate it into some meaning that the parrots could repeat.....

Reactions: 1reVOLver
Right? lol You'd think Burke was a UConn alum AND married to Geno with how she would go on while doing their games.

IIRC, early on Burke was so close to the program she was once awarded a national championship ring right along with the Huskies players and coaches. They weren't even trying to hide it. lol

Reactions: krichunaka

VN Store

Back