Name Worley the starter now

Worley is the senior and he was clearly the best QB last year. No one is challenging him enough for the position this year through Spring and now Fall Camp. He should be named starter, end of.

If you have two freshman (Ainge / Schaffer, Manning / Stewart) then you almost have to settle it on the field. We don't have that situation. The Ainge v Clausen confusion ruined the 2005 season (with perhaps our best defense ever).

Love Butch, but the QB indecision cost us a game against Florida last year, and it's happening again. Not sure why. We'll need the #1 and the #2 this season and everyone but Worley is coming back next year.

Name Worley and bring on some football!

Agree with everything here... except the Florida comment. We wouldn't have beaten them with Tom Brady as our QB (was gonna say Peyton but ....)

What continuity? Before the Peterman start at UF lot of dissatisfaction with the QB play. I mean a lot. I am talking dumpster fire levels. Loads of second guessing threads (sound familiar?) and media questions about Worley at the time. How quickly we forget. :yes:

So the coach should make changes based on fans and the media according to this post

So the coach should make changes based on fans and the media according to this post

Its a fair come back. Nice try. Not what I meant. I am filing under "argumentative." The point was Worley was experiencing growing pains. Seems like you are trying to influence coach, no? :lolabove:

Butch is trying to promote competition.

And did Peterman get hurt in the Florida game last year?

Yes he was. Hurt his hand in the first series, didn't tell the Coaches because he didn't want to come out of the game :no:

Bad decision. Said he'd worked so hard to get the start he was afraid if came out of the game he might not get another chance.:dunno:

Its a fair come back. Nice try. Not what I meant. I am filing under "argumentative." The point was Worley was experiencing growing pains. Seems like you are trying to influence coach, no? :lolabove:

No I'm saying that by not naming a starter (and I don't care if its public) you are losing reps that build continuity with the OL WR and RBs. I was agreeing with another poster on the same issue when you quoted me. From all reports, none of the QBs are world beaters but it appears that Worley is the best of the bunch. So I say let him have a majority of the snaps and go with it

Reactions: 1 person
Who here said they did?

How are you so sure which QB is better?

You just said that worley/dobbs are even and we're going 5-7 regardless who plays.

That implies you know more about their capabilities which definitely puts you, in your esteemed opinion, ahead of Jones and Bajakian.

I'm just saying, if you can watch 10 minutes of camp footage and ascertain who is better, you should seriously be scouting or coaching. Not wasting time on an internet forum at 9AM on a Wednesday.

That's because true freshmen starters in the SEC usually do not exist.

I think that kind of supports the idea of starting Worley. I was not a fan of Worley's last year so I say all of this with a grain of salt but I got what I wanted and saw everyone except the transfer play and only one QB got us a win over a ranked SEC foe. I know not everyone gives credit to Worley for the SC win but he played with poise in both GA and USC games. He also looked a lot better coming into the UF game. Just basing it off data Worley had more TD's than INT's and even less sacks. Dobbs on the other hand had more sacks than int's and more int's than TD's last year. If Dobbs is our guy then let him mature as a backup and get us into a year were we are more competitive instead of placing undue pressure on him now.

I personally think this "battle" is contrived and everyone including the players and coaches know it.

Dobbs:
CAREER STATS
SEASON CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT RAW QBR ADJ QBR
2013 72 121 695 59.5 5.74 43 2 6 7 103.3 34.1 46.3

Worley:
SEASON CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT RAW QBR ADJ QBR
2013 109 196 1239 55.6 6.32 51 10 8 6 117.4 50.2 61.9

It doesn't appear that the staff thinks one is a lot better than the other. Competition is great but when there is not really one to be had the team can see through that, and there is nothing to gain by making one up. If anything it can be a negative.

IMO. I think Jones is fighting with the idea of starting the Sr. over they guy that could be your QB for the next 3 years. And whats making that more difficult is that they don't see a huge difference between the 2. Neither are gonna win 10 games, but both could get UT to a bowl game which is the goal.

Competition is great across the board, but at the QB spot separation is probably more desirable at this point.

No I'm saying that by not naming a starter (and I don't care if its public) you are losing reps that build continuity with the OL WR and RBs. I was agreeing with another poster on the same issue when you quoted me. From all reports, none of the QBs are world beaters but it appears that Worley is the best of the bunch. So I say let him have a majority of the snaps and go with it

My sentiments. I don't know any UT fan that doesn't love what Butch is doing but that doesn't mean we have to adore every choice he makes. Also I don't get this idea that fans shouldn't possibly discuss what they think about said decisions or a team.

WR and RB will have such a deep rotation I honestly don't think if QB1 only gets reps with WR1s as QB1 will be throwing to WR1s and WR2s all season as well as likely working with RB1, RB2 and RB3.

Especially with RB1/2 and WR1/2. I imagine Hurd will get a lot of work and there is no way he's RB1.

He is getting the majority of the snaps. Not sure I understand your complaint. By your logic continuity is more important than performance. Worley's performance was in question before the UF game last year. Glad he is steadier now and was steadier mid season last year.

He is getting the majority of the snaps. Not sure I understand your complaint. By your logic continuity is more important than performance. Worley's performance was in question before the UF game last year. Glad he is steadier now and was steadier mid season last year.

bigdaddy is saying that by doing nothing different but simply saying "Worley is our starter" that everything will be much better.

Can we get Dormandy eligible now?? He is most likely our best QB and has yet to sign his LOI. George Whitfield can't even fix our QB problem.

How are you so sure which QB is better?

You just said that worley/dobbs are even and we're going 5-7 regardless who plays.

That implies you know more about their capabilities which definitely puts you, in your esteemed opinion, ahead of Jones and Bajakian.

I'm just saying, if you can watch 10 minutes of camp footage and ascertain who is better, you should seriously be scouting or coaching. Not wasting time on an internet forum at 9AM on a Wednesday.

First off, I said we are probably a 5-7 win team with either of them. And it doesn't take an advanced scout to see who has a better arm and Ronnie Milsap could see that Dobbs is faster.

WR and RB will have such a deep rotation I honestly don't think if QB1 only gets reps with WR1s as QB1 will be throwing to WR1s and WR2s all season as well as likely working with RB1, RB2 and RB3.

Especially with RB1/2 and WR1/2. I imagine Hurd will get a lot of work and there is no way he's RB1.

You could still name Worley the starter and let him practice with the 2's, 3's etc. I think when people talk about continuity they mean that when a player is practicing with Worley they know he is their starter and it let's them focus on his timing, his cadence, and know he's the guy to focus on 1st.

I was calling for the kitchen sink last year so I have been on both sides of this fence. Having seen it done the other way last year I don't think it benefited us. JMO

First off, I said we are probably a 5-7 win team with either of them. And it doesn't take an advanced scout to see who has a better arm and Ronnie Milsap could see that Dobbs is faster.

If by better you mean staring down receivers or freezing with indecision then I'd agree. Being faster didn't count a lick when he was still getting sacked. He well could be the future but most QB's don't play as freshman or even sophmores.

bigdaddy is saying that by doing nothing different but simply saying "Worley is our starter" that everything will be much better.

No, I'm saying not having a starting QB and splitting reps with a young and inexperienced team hurts consistency and continuity of the offense.

Reactions: 2 people
If my better you mean staring down receivers or freezing with indecision then I'd agree. Being faster didn't count a lick when he was still getting sacked. He well could be the future but most QB's don't play as freshman or true freshman.

Our QB's were only sacked 15 times last year. So I'm not sure where you're going with that comment.

Dobbs averaged over 5 yards a carry, that's pretty solid.

Both guys stare down WR's. Difference is, one was a freshmen and the other was a junior.

Better arm?

All I've honestly seen, and this is admittedly nothing compared to the UT staff, has been Dobbs airmailing passes to 6'3-6'4" WRs.

Potential doesn't mean anything if you don't reach it.

And I want Dobbs to be the guy, I just don't think he's going to be it.

You could still name Worley the starter and let him practice with the 2's, 3's etc. I think when people talk about continuity they mean that when a player is practicing with Worley they know he is their starter and it let's them focus on his timing, his cadence, and know he's the guy to focus on 1st.

I was calling for the kitchen sink last year so I have been on both sides of this fence. Having seen it done the other way last year I don't think it benefited us. JMO
We are definitely on the same page.

VN Store

Back