Name Worley the starter now

Naming a starter today Per. Butch Jones @ Vol_Football

Damn I thought you were fooling.

People speak Butch listens.

Tennessee Football @Vol_Football · 46m
JONES: And we are announcing our new starting QB today.... @austindillon3! #Vols #BattleAtBristol

Worley is the senior and he was clearly the best QB last year. No one is challenging him enough for the position this year through Spring and now Fall Camp. He should be named starter, end of.

If you have two freshman (Ainge / Schaffer, Manning / Stewart) then you almost have to settle it on the field. We don't have that situation. The Ainge v Clausen confusion ruined the 2005 season (with perhaps our best defense ever).

Love Butch, but the QB indecision cost us a game against Florida last year, and it's happening again. Not sure why. We'll need the #1 and the #2 this season and everyone but Worley is coming back next year.

Name Worley and bring on some football!

Apparently 14 likes is the benchmark for getting Butch's attention.

Reactions: 2 people
If CBJ does think OL will be somewhat a problem, then wouldn't it make sense to put more emphasis on getting the ball as quickly as possible? Both Worley and Dobbs like to hold on to the football a bit. There was a REASON why Peterman got the start against FL. .. A REASON why Dobbs didn't even travel to Oregon.

Maybe it's really Peterman that is making it extremely close. His foot movement looked quicker to me when looking at the videos.

Just because I see this myth repeated so often, Dobbs did travel to Oregon.

Reactions: 1 person
Dear Eddie Vol Halen,

OMG, you're totally correct. I'll personally take care of that at the next practice. I should have listened to you sooner!!! What was I thinking?? Oh, and I love you too.

XOXO,
Butch Jones.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

It appears Butch is listening.

In a grand irony, I'm now annoyed that Butch has caved to fan pressure.

Maybe because people like you persist in ignoring what they are actually doing in favor often of twisting what they've said. Jones has been CLEAR that he wants a QB that keeps it enough to keep the D honest... but not necessarily a running QB.

This comment suggests a few things. One is that you do not understand Jones' system nor his philosophy. Jones this year will play the QB who can get the ball to his playmakers best. That probably is NOT Dobbs.

His system is NOT one where he prefers his QB to be a major part of the run game. It is more of a hybrid approach that incorporates the spread and some west coast elements. It favors a decision maker at QB. Jones has repeated many times that his QB first and foremost must manage the O well.

So back to your original question, the biggest part of why people disagree with you is that you parse Jones' comments, misunderstand his system, then make a declaration based on that.

AND... I still like Dobbs and will be just as pleased if he earns the job as anyone else. Most signs just point to Worley right now.

If you need even MORE proof that you misunderstand what Jones wants from a QB... just look at the QB's he has recruited and continues to recruit. Obviously he isn't recruiting statues like Bray. OTOH... he isn't recruiting primarily dual threat guys either. He seems perfectly satisfied with Dormady... who is not a runner AT ALL. Dobbs was not a dual threat recruit. RF wasn't.
Believe me Carnac, I have a pretty good idea what CBJ has said. Sure he wants his QB to get the ball to the playmakers. That's knowledge they learn in pee-wee football 101. Any more sage insights? His offense will be fast, QB mobile when necessary, and passing the ball. End of story. You being out of the loop, you probably don't know that Dobbs was considered dual threat out of HS. By the way, did you tell CBJ who to name starting QB today? Oh, he didn't! Probably missed your call.

Believe me Carnac, I have a pretty good idea what CBJ has said. Sure he wants his QB to get the ball to the playmakers. That's knowledge they learn in pee-wee football 101. Any more sage insights? His offense will be fast, QB mobile when necessary, and passing the ball. End of story. You being out of the loop, you probably don't know that Dobbs was considered dual threat out of HS. By the way, did you tell CBJ who to name starting QB today? Oh, he didn't! Probably missed your call.

:lolabove:

You apparently don't have a good idea... and you demonstrated that just now with that ever so subtle shift from claiming he wants a QB to "run and pass" to claiming he wanted one who was mobile "when necessary".

I have never proposed to tell Jones who to name. I will be satisfied with whoever he chooses. I am simply looking at the reports with no real preference at all... and recognizing that Jones has CONSISTENTLY sent one guy out with the starters... and that guy is Worley.

Based on reports, Worley isn't helping his cause right now... but none of the other guys are really doing what they need to catch him either.

BTW,

https://rivals.yahoo.com/tennessee/...obbs-134027;_ylt=AqtX4CnmCUR2ahfC8xBzXomlt5B4

Joshua Dobbs

I guess you were out of the loop?

Last edited:
:lolabove:

You apparently don't have a good idea... and you demonstrated that just now with that ever so subtle shift from claiming he wants a QB to "run and pass" to claiming he wanted one who was mobile "when necessary".

I have never proposed to tell Jones who to name. I will be satisfied with whoever he chooses. I am simply looking at the reports with no real preference at all... and recognizing that Jones has CONSISTENTLY sent one guy out with the starters... and that guy is Worley.

Based on reports, Worley isn't helping his cause right now... but none of the other guys are really doing what they need to catch him either.

BTW,

https://rivals.yahoo.com/tennessee/...obbs-134027;_ylt=AqtX4CnmCUR2ahfC8xBzXomlt5B4

Joshua Dobbs

I guess you were out of the loop?
Well I stand humbled. Two sites called him a pro-style QB. Who am I to argue with the wizards of smart. His coach in HS called him dual threat, but what would he know, he only coached him for years. He looked dual threat is his highlight films, and pretty awesome when he ran the ball last year. You'll notice I used the word ran, which is almost like run, but not near mobile. Are you satisfied now?

Worley is the senior and he was clearly the best QB last year. No one is challenging him enough for the position this year through Spring and now Fall Camp. He should be named starter, end of.

If you have two freshman (Ainge / Schaffer, Manning / Stewart) then you almost have to settle it on the field. We don't have that situation. The Ainge v Clausen confusion ruined the 2005 season (with perhaps our best defense ever).

Love Butch, but the QB indecision cost us a game against Florida last year, and it's happening again. Not sure why. We'll need the #1 and the #2 this season and everyone but Worley is coming back next year.

Name Worley and bring on some football!

Worley is not getting it done in Fall camp so far. Need to keep the competition open until a leader emerges. So far that isn"t Worley.

Well I stand humbled. Two sites called him a pro-style QB. Who am I to argue with the wizards of smart. His coach in HS called him dual threat, but what would he know, he only coached him for years. He looked dual threat is his highlight films, and pretty awesome when he ran the ball last year. You'll notice I used the word ran, which is almost like run, but not near mobile. Are you satisfied now?

I wasn't dissatisfied before. You have overestimated how serious anyone takes your rants or totally biased opinion.

I really like Dobbs. I like Worley and Peterman too. I don't have a guy that I've hooked my ego to like some of you have. If you are a UT fan and not just a Dobbs fan then maybe you should take a step back, acknowledge the good and bad of all of them, and commit to supporting the guy Jones selects without reservation?

Worley is not getting it done in Fall camp so far. Need to keep the competition open until a leader emerges. So far that isn"t Worley.

Who is STILL going out with the ones? When you see a more even split over an extended period or else you see someone else taking the starter's reps with the 1's... then you can say it "isn't Worley". Right now it "is Worley".

As far as "getting it done"... maybe go back and check Ainge's stats in the spring and August preceding his abuse of a highly ranked Cal team. It was FAR worse than numbers being reported for any of these 3 guys.

Maybe Worley and the others really are just untalented guys who can't get the job done... OR maybe they are being asked by the coaches to work on things that are difficult. MAYBE if we had the full perspective of the things that are going well in addition to the things that aren't... some of us wouldn't be making rash judgments.

Worley hasn't earned it. You can't go 1 for 4 in the redzone. CBJ is giving him every chance to take it, but he can't do that.

Had to bump after seeing this quote from this morning's practice. I'm not sure whatever publicity we got from announcing on SEC Network launch was worth the haranguing over the Red Zone drill.

Passing Game Improving: The quarterbacks did some work on avoiding pressure within the pocket while keeping their eyes downfield. It seems like all of the quarterbacks are throwing the ball with much more confidence since the announcement that Justin Worley would be the starter and I can’t help but think that that move has helped take some of the pressure off of that group. They were all extremely accurate and jut appeared to have more poise during the portion of work that we were able to see this morning.

No Eddie. You just don't get it. ALL of UT's QB's "suck"... the experts here have spoken.

Worley hasn't earned it. You can't go 1 for 4 in the redzone. CBJ is giving him every chance to take it, but he can't do that.

So you are anti-Jones now? Jones specifically said that he had "earned the right"... that's pretty unambiguous.

VN Store

Back