Name Image Likeness

Will74

Folks by no means am i bashing Hooker nor any other that is cashing in on a NIL deal .But we have to understand .The NIL will ruin the best sport going in the United States and that is college football.
Yes we know it will draw big recruits to schools .no longer is a good education going to be a draw.
We all know football is composed as ELEVEN men on either side of the ball .and these eleven are like a well oiled machine and all have a job to do .working as one.What do you actually think is going to happen when a few pieces of the machine aren't getting oil.
We have heard all week the speculations and RUMORS.This will not happen happen in our house,it will happen in every house that has the NIL
I think this NIl deal is not only bad but could be very dangerous to the sport .THINK ABOUT IT .

Folks by no means am i bashing Hooker nor any other that is cashing in on a NIL deal .But we have to understand .The NIL will ruin the best sport going in the United States and that is college football.
Yes we know it will draw big recruits to schools .no longer is a good education going to be a draw.
We all know football is composed as ELEVEN men on either side of the ball .and these eleven are like a well oiled machine and all have a job to do .working as one.What do you actually think is going to happen when a few pieces of the machine aren't getting oil.
We have heard all week the speculations and RUMORS.This will not happen happen in our house,it will happen in every house that has the NIL
I think this NIl deal is not only bad but could be very dangerous to the sport .THINK ABOUT IT .
Is there a squeaky wheel in this discussion?

The real problem started when coaches became fabulously wealthy in P5 conferences. Too much value distortion between the managers and the featured wealth producers being limited economically by the NCAA rules.

So many people rely on the free market argument to control pay for workers, but this is one case where the free market is finally allowed to work for the players.

Now (econ major here) totally free markets tear groups apart, because just as you create mega wealth for the winners, you have losers who can literally starve without a safety net.

Players will find their level of value commensurate with talent, and some increasing their value over time through hard work. Locker rooms will have income disparities just like any workplace.

The NFL went through this phase after some players were millionaires and their teammates might be making less than $50k. see Johnny "Lam" Jones

College Football will get through this. I don't begrudge the kids getting a slice of the pie they help create. Players either find their level of value through NIL, or they move on. If they want better NIL deals, perform on the field.

If the defense's troubles relate to NIL tension, I suggest they demonstrate their value. As far as I understand, NIL deals can be struck at any time for a player (could be wrong).

And now transfer portal players can be hooked by preferred NIL deals. So players have to perform or be replaced by either experienced portal players or incoming freshmen. This is now survival of the fittest to the extreme.
Some players need to remember not every player in the portal is there voluntarily. Perform or move along.

The real problem started when coaches became fabulously wealthy in P5 conferences. Too much value distortion between the managers and the featured wealth producers being limited economically by the NCAA rules.

So many people rely on the free market argument to control pay for workers, but this is one case where the free market is finally allowed to work for the players.

Now (econ major here) totally free markets tear groups apart, because just as you create mega wealth for the winners, you have losers who can literally starve without a safety net.

Players will find their level of value commensurate with talent, and some increasing their value over time through hard work. Locker rooms will have income disparities just like any workplace.

The NFL went through this phase after some players were millionaires and their teammates might be making less than $50k. see Johnny "Lam" Jones

College Football will get through this. I don't begrudge the kids getting a slice of the pie they help create. Players either find their level of value through NIL, or they move on. If they want better NIL deals, perform on the field.

If the defense's troubles relate to NIL tension, I suggest they demonstrate their value. As far as I understand, NIL deals can be struck at any time for a player (could be wrong).

And now transfer portal players can be hooked by preferred NIL deals. So players have to perform or be replaced by either experienced portal players or incoming freshmen. This is now survival of the fittest to the extreme.
Some players need to remember not every player in the portal is there voluntarily. Perform or move along.
Great post ! The only thing that I would add, is in the NIL Era of college football , a players conduct off the field is important as well . They have to be marketable on and off the field !

NiL was long overdue. College football always has been about making the schools money and farm system to the NFL. Feel bad for SMU back in the day getting the death penalty for what they can do now . The transfer portal is what is going to change College Football forever, which personally I love it.

Geez we do all realize that without NIL, Bama, UGA, OSU, Clemson, etc continues dominance? Are we all OK with that? Is THAT good for the game when only 4-6 teams are in playoffs every year? Game has changed and we are in on the changes…not there yet but we aren’t “chasing with NIL. Without NIL our current and future roster looks a lot different…and not in a good way. Will we trade our NIL status to be what we’ve been the last 15 years to be …Miz, MSU, SC…even KY? JH has the system and apparent coaching chops (D debateable). UT has the following to create NIL opportunities. UT has the facilities. Are we better on this path or the mediocrity at best path of CBJ, Dooley, Pruitt, etc?

Great post ! The only thing that I would add, is in the NIL Era of college football , a players conduct off the field is important as well . They have to be marketable on and off the field !

I agree. Some people will have harder times getting NIL deals because despite being great athletes companies will be reluctant to associate with them if it could damage their brand. That means being more careful with how and what you present to the world. Social media, criminal activity or accusations, all of this could be very costly.

I don’t have a problem with this or with players being compensated. I do think right now the whole sport and its athletes are going through growing pains as they learn how to deal with the new reality. Truth is this is better than the back room stuff that always went on but no one admitted to.

I’d rather see players getting money in the open than having their parents, high school coaches, and so on selling them to the highest bidder.

College football is always going to be packed full of fans and the tailgates will continue and the band will still play. College football is always going to be wildly popular because regardless of what folks say people love the game and they’re team and the atmosphere that goes with it.That isn’t changing!

Reactions: lexkyvol and njvols
Maybe they should come up with a minimum NIL payment for everyone or maybe they already do, I know very little about it, I mean nobody is a one man team, one players success is always somewhat intertwined with how well his teammates play but the high profile positions get all the publicity and accolades.

Maybe they should come up with a minimum NIL payment for everyone or maybe they already do, I know very little about it, I mean nobody is a one man team, one players success is always somewhat intertwined with how well his teammates play but the high profile positions get all the publicity and accolades.
Or, and hear me out here, we allow adults to make as much as they can? I mean I know that's crazy. But probably the moral thing to do. Your love for football doesn't supersede NIL. NIL is pretty basic right of any capitalist.

I definitely respect your opinion on this one.

However it hasn’t been about an education in a long time. If it were Vandy, Stanford, Northwestern and the like would be getting the good recruits.

Instead they have to get whoever they can for the most part.

I figured it was simple……….just allow anyone to “try” to go pro whenever they wanted. Bam problem solved. They took a different route…….and hey everyone else is getting rich…….why not the guys actually playing?

there will be growing pains along the way; however with any change it sill settle.

If someone was willing to pay me $$ to watch football……..heck I’d let them and be all for it. So if there’s a buyer so to speak……no sweat off my back why should I even worry? Now I understand there will be problems along the way and stuff will happen……….but let’s be real, that kind of stuff happens anyway.

Some folks can handle it and they do………so can’t…….and they couldn’t in the past.

Reactions: Stephen Gray
Lol. NFL has a union.
So what? Im saying you could stop some of the bickering if you pay them all something which only makes good sense to me, do you think the starting Guard shouldnt get something while the Quarterback he protects the whole game makes a killing? its a team sport, one player may stand out but he needs the others to be able to do so.

Reactions: Tnslim1
NIL is a tough one. On the one hand I’m certainly not against incoming college athletes getting a piece of the pie, they certainly deserve it. Especially in football where they run the risk of being injured. So many we have seen with their dreams shattered by an unfortunate break.

I honestly don’t know. Yes it’s changing the sport, but things change. I’m not really a fan of it bc I love CFB the way it has been. But, I also understand that everything changes in the pursuit of progress. Who am I to argue? Hopefully it remains a sport we all know and love.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m certainly worried. I’m afraid it will be one of those situations where the rich get richer, but I guess that’s capitalism at its best. What else is there?

Reactions: Stephen Gray
College football is always going to be packed full of fans and the tailgates will continue and the band will still play. College football is always going to be wildly popular because regardless of what folks say people love the game and they’re team and the atmosphere that goes with it.That isn’t changing!
Perhaps, but we're one lawsuit away from "student athletes" being legally declared employees of the schools, that is .... pro athletes playing for a pro team run by a university.

A true NFL Lite change for the college game leads to all the issues we see in the NFL: a draft of new players instead of recruiting, salaries and revenue sharing instead of NIL being the primary source of income for the players, a union and collective bargaining by the players as a group, trades, salary caps, etc etc.

College Pro Ball will likely be successful but when your QB can be traded for 2 draft picks and a star LB, it's just another pro league to me and I'm less enthused about the Titans than the Vols. YMMV

VN Store

Back