N. Korea has successfully tested a Hydrogen bomb

Just like GaTech, we need to put the QB on his ass as soon as possible. If this megalomaniac is allowed to develop this thing to the point MIRVs, a hell of a lot of people will die.

So what? Are you suggesting that now is the time to go to war in Korea again? Really?

I mean, its not like we don't have our resources and attention scattered in other places already.

Today, absolutely not. Even though I believe time is running out, I still believe we have enough to play with though. We, hell even the international community, must not allow North Korea to become a true nuclear power (missiles fitted with warheads) the threat is too great. I do believe sometime within Trump's first term there will be a strike.

It was tongue in cheek.

But, the ramp up in their nuke tests increased after obama gave Iran a **** load of cash.

Coincidence?

I'm sure when Historians write about the North Korean nuclear program that will be what they focus on.

Just like GaTech, we need to put the QB on his ass as soon as possible. If this megalomaniac is allowed to develop this thing to the point MIRVs, a hell of a lot of people will die.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/03/asia/north-korea-nuclear-test/index.html

NORSAR, a Norway-based group that monitors nuclear tests, estimated it had an explosive yield of 120 kilotons -- which means the power of 120,000 tons of TNT.

How big is a 120kt bomb in comparison to the rest of our arsenal? How many of these bombs do you think they have vs how many do we have? How far and how accurately are North Korea's bombs?

Today, absolutely not. Even though I believe time is running out, I still believe we have enough to play with though. We, hell even the international community, must not allow North Korea to become a true nuclear power (missiles fitted with warheads) the threat is too great. I do believe sometime within Trump's first term there will be a strike.

Right now, Japan and South Korea, followed closely by China and Russia, have more of an incentive and urgency to get this resolved than we do.

How big is a 120kt bomb in comparison to the rest of our arsenal? How many of these bombs do you think they have vs how many do we have? How far and how accurately are North Korea's bombs?

Right now they are inaccurate and not to the scale of our stockpile. The question is do you truly believe they will be content to keep their warheads and missiles at their current technological level? No they are working hard to hit the megaton level, the hydrogen level, and perfecting its missile technology to be able to hit us on the mainland.

Right now, Japan and South Korea, followed closely by China and Russia, have more of an incentive and urgency to get this resolved than we do.

While South Korea and Japan have technologically advanced and capable military forces they alone could not attack the DPRK. At best China and Russia are content to allow the North Korean regime to build weapons and at worst are actively assisting them and can not be allowed to make decisions here.

Right now they are inaccurate and not to the scale of our stockpile. The question is do you truly believe they will be content to keep their warheads and missiles at their current technological level? No they are working hard to hit the megaton level, the hydrogen level, and perfecting its missile technology to be able to hit us on the mainland.

Don't forget who you're trying to rationalize with...

That can get very expensive for them. We're just talking about N. Korea. Look at what happened to the USSR when they tried to compete with the US... they went bankrupt and dissolved.

We can't have it both ways. On the one hand, we say the people of North Korea are starving and eating rats and roots for subsistence, yet on the other hand, they have the capability to build up to be a formidable nuclear power.

That can get very expensive for them. We're just talking about N. Korea. Look at what happened to the USSR when they tried to compete with the US... they went bankrupt and dissolved.

We can't have it both ways. On the one hand, we say the people of North Korea are starving and eating rats and roots for subsistence, yet on the other hand, they have the capability to build up to be a formidable nuclear power.

When you don't care about your people and dedicate all the national wealth to the military and security forces it is doable.

When you don't care about your people and dedicate all the national wealth to the military and security forces it is doable.

I would wager they don't even get close to having one weapon that is equal to one in our arsenal. Research and testing is expensive. Then there is the hurdle of getting the materials and the components. Then, if S. Korea and Japan get their acts together, they may come with either a diplomatic or military solution. Their bravado and saber rattling may be directed at the US, but their ability to genuinely threaten the US is still a remote possibility.

I would wager they don't even get close to having one weapon that is equal to one in our arsenal. Research and testing is expensive. Then there is the hurdle of getting the materials and the components. Then, if S. Korea and Japan get their acts together, they may come with either a diplomatic or military solution. Their bravado and saber rattling may be directed at the US, but their ability to genuinely threaten the US is still a remote possibility.

Let's take a look at their nuclear tests since 2006:

2006 - .7KT-2KT
2009 - 2KT-5.4KT
2013 - 6KT-16KT
2016 - 7KT-16.5KT
2016 - 15KT-25KT
2017 - 100KT-150KT

As you can since the yield are increasing each test. Look at their missile tests too, each test they conduct they are getting closer and closer to achieving a successful ICBM. I know you're a smart person, do you truly believe the regime would be content to stay at the current ability? If you do, you are extremely naive.

I know you're a smart person, do you truly believe the regime would be content to stay at the current ability? If you do, you are extremely naive.

I never said that their stated goals were not to reach the US mainland with a nuclear weapon. I'm simply stating that they have a long ways to go... time is on our side. So much so, that there are other options on the table that do not even need to involve the US. If N. Korea ever gets to that point without going broke and Kim being overthrown internally, then you still have countries in the region that can and should step in to resolve this. And even if they finally do get that one weapon created and they decide to fire it off at San Francisco, it would be like a quarterback eyeballing a receiver, it would be the most telegraphed launch of its kind in the region. If the Russians, Chinese or Japanese can't bring it down, then we still have our superior United States missile defense that can bring it down. And at that point, N. Korea has probably shot off its load of nukes and can be easily toppled after a long, drawn out ground war.

I agree the guy is crazy but no one with that much power wants to die. He wants to insure regime change forced by us is never an option.

Reactions: 1 person

At least there is a growing coalition of support

[twitter]https://twitter.com/DEFCONWSALERTS/status/905157158727245824[/twitter]

Does the phrase 'close enough for horse shoes, hand grenades and nuclear weapons' ring a bell? A weapon that big doesn't have to hit the space needle in Seattle, it just has to hit King County. Now that being said, when I was in the military, the policy was that we would respond in kind to whatever we were attacked with. I have no idea if that is still applicable, but Fat Kim better hope it isn't because to your first point if he launches one I hope the Donald turns NK into a completely uninhabitable wasteland. We certainly have the capability with tons more accuracy. In my mind the question is what do we do if Fatso launches one and we shoot it down?

And getting less remote with each test. At what point would you find the threat credible enough to do something about it?

Last edited:

VN Store

Back