My thoughts...

Why not? Barnes should be fired. There is a reason Texas got rid if Barnes. Its called March Madness Failure. Barnes is not going to run a new offense, he just runs this terrible slow half court pass the ball until 22 seconds left & then shoot offense. He will not adjust his offense or coaching style to reach his players max potential.
Im not saying Barnes needs to be fired but I will answer your question. This university and a large part of the fanbase expect nothing more than mediocre. That goes for all sports not just basketball. Texas wants more, we as a whole do not. The faction of us who would like more than to be a nobody in the grand scheme of the college sports world are looked upon as idiots for wanting such. I know this isnt the answer you wanted but this is the truth. The powers that be at UT over the past 15 or so years have systematically broken this fanbase into two factions. Either those who arent content with a institution with such money, facilities, tradition and support to not have to answer for extremely underwhelming results or those who have been so beaten down that they have given in to battered wife sydrom that they have just accepted garbage results even when they should not be there ( i.e. what the university has been going for for a long time, lower the expectations over the years to where we get the same influx of money but do not have to produce results with said money.)

Reactions: djohnnyg
You guys who say “they aren’t ready” don’t get it. You are thinking more in terms of the NFL system / process.

With the NBA, it’s a little more like baseball.

NBA teams feel better about their ability to develop a kid to play in their league than they feel about a college coach’s ability to develop them.

The NBA and college game are so different. They would rather get Keon now than in 2 years.
That's not what I said, I know how the NBA works, I know they are first round picks and Keon is a lottery pick. I just think it's bad for the college game and 12 years ago, both players would be back at UT, because the NBA wanted more production from their one and done's. Now, it's all about potential

This game felt like the 8v9 game against Michigan when Tobias Harris was a freshman. It was a team that started hot, fizzled mid season, and struggled down the stretch, then mailed it in for their tourney game. Relying on freshman to win tourney games simply doesnt work unless its Anthony Davis

That is why they need to return. As freshmen, they just don’t fully understand the game yet, especially as you move up in levels. College BB is completely different than high school, and pro BB is completely different than college. While they may have the skill set to play in the pros (which I really didn’t see this season), they need to mature as players. Without this maturation, their NBA careers will be short-lived.
If they go pro, they will be stuck in the G League and then they will go overseas. Neither one will make it in the NBA. They need at least another year. But its their decision and they better make the right one.

Reactions: ftsandersvol
If they go pro, they will be stuck in the G League and then they will go overseas. Neither one will make it in the NBA. They need at least another year. But its their decision and they better make the right one.
They won’t be on two-way contracts as first round picks. Thus they can’t be sent to the G League. They may be on the end of the bench for a couple of years but they will be making full NBA paychecks.

When u are a stone cold lock, first round pick (probably lottery pick) like Keon and u end up in the G League, then that guaranteed 10+ million, u get for signing that NBA contract, will make it all right, imo. Doesn't matter if he makes it or not (he will, tho), he got paid !

Well said BTO. I don't think it's time to fire Barnes either. He inherited a dumpster fire and now we're at a point where we can call an 18-9 NCAA tournament season a huge disappointment. The program has come a long ways under him.

With that being said, I think Barnes finds himself at a crossroads. He absolutely has to modernize his offense and start recruiting good outside shooters. The game is more perimeter oriented now than ever before. It's time for him to catch up.

On top of that, he needs to cut some of the dead weight off the roster and replace it with some quality transfers (and BHH). Next season is going to be a show me something season for Barnes, and it won't be good if we're counting on guys like Gaines, Pember, Anosike, and Uros to play big roles.
What’s more modern than drive for a shot at rim or to collapse defense for kickout 3’s? He got the majority of this offense from one of the greatest b-ball coaches of all time, Popovich And the Spurs. Santi and Jaden are the only guys that can hit consistently imho

Since many are going to look for them or say I ran away etc etc etc...

Horrible ending to a disappointing regular season, the regular season wasn’t horrendous or far off projections but it was a disappointment/underachieving. Your chance to make up for that or make people forget that is to have a nice NCAAT run, not only did we not make a run we played arguably our worst game of the year, it was embarrassing actually.

I don’t agree with anyone saying we need a change at the top, ie head coach, but that’s not an acceptable season given expectations. With that said it is a 3rd straight NCAAT appearance and that’s the positive, but we need more depth and some serious help in the post (BHH please come to Knoxville), along with some modernization of the offense...

I’m any regard, was nice to have a season and a NCAAT...the freshman were fun to watch and they’ll be fun to root for in the NBA...Tennessee is in better shape as a program than they’ve been many times in the past 50 years, but this is a fan base that enjoys basketball and deserves better than what we got this year. I wish Johnson and Springer the best at the next level, but their lone season at Tennessee was a forgettable one. Bring on Kennedy Chandler!

GBO!!!
You are taking a pragmatic approach with your evaluation. There is nothing wrong with that but emphasis needs to be placed on two things: 1) It is strange to see a young team regress as the season goes along, instead of improving... and 2) this season was incredibly disappointing when contrasted with expectations. We definitely underachieved. This is the most disappointing season in the history of Tennessee basketball. Hands down.

Since many are going to look for them or say I ran away etc etc etc...

Horrible ending to a disappointing regular season, the regular season wasn’t horrendous or far off projections but it was a disappointment/underachieving. Your chance to make up for that or make people forget that is to have a nice NCAAT run, not only did we not make a run we played arguably our worst game of the year, it was embarrassing actually.

I don’t agree with anyone saying we need a change at the top, ie head coach, but that’s not an acceptable season given expectations. With that said it is a 3rd straight NCAAT appearance and that’s the positive, but we need more depth and some serious help in the post (BHH please come to Knoxville), along with some modernization of the offense...

I’m any regard, was nice to have a season and a NCAAT...the freshman were fun to watch and they’ll be fun to root for in the NBA...Tennessee is in better shape as a program than they’ve been many times in the past 50 years, but this is a fan base that enjoys basketball and deserves better than what we got this year.

GBO!!!

I have to respectfully disagree. Lots of entitlement in our fanbase and no one ever seems to learn their lesson. Almost every time we have felt entitled to get better, in either sport, we got worse. We have yet to get back to the days of Fulmer in football 🏈 after firing an HOF coach. We have not returned to the elite 8 since running Cuonzo Martin out of town. However, we got this guy:

“Barnes increased the Vols' win total in each of his first four seasons.[2] In 2018, he was named Southeastern Conference Coach of the Year after leading the Volunteers to a share of their first regular-season SEC title in a decade and a spot in the conference championship game, earning his sixth-career conference coach of the year award.[4]
In 2018–19, he was named the Naismith College Coach of the Year after the Vols finished 31–6 (tying a school record for wins in a season) and reached the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament. They were ranked No. 1 for several weeks during the season, only the second time that the Vols have been ranked that high.[2][5]

And we want to run HIM out of town?

What is it about a fan base that is almost never appreciative of much that “deserves” much of anything?

Last edited:
Reactions: ndubvols
I think you’re right.
I second that. It happens when you bring in two Freshman and start them. Personally, I think we need to stay away from the Kentucky model, but that’s just me. It seems Rick’s system is effective and chemistry often includes a feeling of equality. When we had Bone, Scho, Williams, Turner and Alexander... they were all hungry to learn and empowered each other.

Reactions: SlyStone
I agree, completely. I don't get it, either, 10-12 years ago, neither would be ready for the NBA. But, the NBA will take 'em both in the 1st round, Keon in the lottery. Whether they wash out or not, how can u turn down that kind of guaranteed money ?

I doubt I would turn it down either, but I hope they invest it wisely.

You are taking a pragmatic approach with your evaluation. There is nothing wrong with that but emphasis needs to be placed on two things: 1) It is strange to see a young team regress as the season goes along, instead of improving... and 2) this season was incredibly disappointing when contrasted with expectations. We definitely underachieved. This is the most disappointing season in the history of Tennessee basketball. Hands down.

Combined with preseason expectations you may be right, and meaning start to finish. But I think that's a hard thing to judge because I look at "most disappointing" a bit differently. For example for me 2000 might still slightly be more disappointing because we got to 16-1 and it was looking like Green's best team and we end up limping into the NCAAT and being a 1 and done. I don't remember exactly but I want to say we went into that season with some high expectations.

And while yesterday sucked and how the season unfolded sucked, I wasn't surprised at the egg we laid yesterday. I'm still more disappointed in the 2008 team's NCAAT performance. Now yes that team won the SEC Championship but they horribly underachieved in the postseason. Watching the best UT team maybe ever not even ever be in the game against UL in the S16 was a level of disappointment that has only been matched by the 2001 SEC Championship game against LSU in football and Green's S16 collapse in 2000.

Buzz’s first team with Yarbrough (NBAer), Haislip (first round pick), Slay and Higgins didn’t even have a .500 record on the year. That was epically underachieving.

Reactions: aWhiteLoftonChism
It's on Barnes to recruit and he has failed. He got a few 5 stars and that's great but he didn't get the big man we desperately needed in the post. We weren't gonna win anything significant without a big man. Look at Illinois w Cockburn. That's what you need and he hasn't recruited anyone close to that. And...if you have to rely on perimeter shooting you should at least have some guys who can (gulp)....shoot. There was no way this team was going anywhere in the tourney just by the way it is constructed. Doomed before the opening tip off.

Reactions: Border Vol
It's on Barnes to recruit and he has failed. He got a few 5 stars and that's great but he didn't get the big man we desperately needed in the post. We weren't gonna win anything significant without a big man. Look at Illinois w Cockburn. That's what you need and he hasn't recruited anyone close to that. And...if you have to rely on perimeter shooting you should at least have some guys who can (gulp)....shoot. There was no way this team was going anywhere in the tourney just by the way it is constructed. Doomed before the opening tip off.
Cameron Krutwig of Loyola is another darn good center

Krutwig1.jpg

I still believe there was some chemistry issues in the locker room. It happens
Something was off...
Combined with preseason expectations you may be right, and meaning start to finish. But I think that's a hard thing to judge because I look at "most disappointing" a bit differently. For example for me 2000 might still slightly be more disappointing because we got to 16-1 and it was looking like Green's best team and we end up limping into the NCAAT and being a 1 and done. I don't remember exactly but I want to say we went into that season with some high expectations.

And while yesterday sucked and how the season unfolded sucked, I wasn't surprised at the egg we laid yesterday. I'm still more disappointed in the 2008 team's NCAAT performance. Now yes that team won the SEC Championship but they horribly underachieved in the postseason. Watching the best UT team maybe ever not even ever be in the game against UL in the S16 was a level of disappointment that has only been matched by the 2001 SEC Championship game against LSU in football and Green's S16 collapse in 2000.
We also expected Corey Walker to play. Most posters here expected him to contribute... something.

Reactions: aWhiteLoftonChism
Something was off...

We also expected Corey Walker to play. Most posters here expected him to contribute... something.

I would love to know the scoop behind what was up with him not playing. I assume it must have been worth ethic or other disciplinary issues, but still...surely he could have given us better minutes than Anosike or ORN.

The most talented as well as the most underachieving teams we’re definitely the Jerry Green teams. Absolutely LOADED with talent at every position and never played as hard as any of Barnes teams. Pearl had a couple of teams also and Martin had at least 1 team
It happens
Look at all of the blue bloods this year with 5⭐️ six or seven deep. Chemistry and hitting your stride at the right time matters as well

I would love to know the scoop behind what was up with him not playing. I assume it must have been worth ethic or other disciplinary issues, but still...surely he could have given us better minutes than Anosike or ORN.
I’m really interested in seeing Walker play next year, wherever he is at. It’s frustrating to think that Walker was better than Anosike, Gaines, and Pember, but never got a shot to show it. I know Barnes was upset with Walker, but he still should have given him a shot at some point. This team needed an infusion of talent when it become obvious that there were only 7-8 playable players.

Last edited:
Reactions: BisonVol

VN Store

Back