My take...

BreatheUT

I see that pretty girl swag.
To be fair I did not see the Memphis game. I couldn't get out of a function I had to attend. I listened to as much of it as I could during my drive.

My impressions are not just based on this game but what I've seen to this point in the season.

First, Coach Barnes is getting every ounce of potential out of this team as a whole. The makeup of UT to this point hasn't been one that can just reload after losing 2 players early to the NBA. This appears to be a team that is going to have to continue to get better because of youth and a lack of a first option. Basically we have a gritty team and not a smooth or high octane one. I will be very surprised if that changes this year.

I am really surprised at the unorthodoxed makeup of this roster. Part of it are the transfers and the other part is what I mentioned earlier - early losses to the NBA. Our depth down low and at PG are paper thin. No size at all with Plasic ineligible. Lose Kent's height but he was irrelevant in the post. Then Burns transferred. I think most of us felt going into the off season last year he would be important.

Then we got too many guys that play the 3 and 4 position but none of them are consistent - Gaines, Pember, Pons, Fulkerson and Johnson. At least Gaines and Pember have excuses.

The guard position is another paper thin area with the PG transfer from Oregon sitting out. James is still young but unfortunately because how bereft of offensive firepower across the board we need his immediate help. This takes us to Bowden and Turner.

This is the same pattern we've seen from these two their whole careers. They struggle for chunks of the season only they do not have Bone, Schofield, Willams and even a rim protector like Alexander to cover for them. I really thought these guys were past this after they got going late in the season. Let's face it, if they don't score we probably don't win. They are that important and that's scary.

I mentioned the other day, Vescovi will be needed immediately and I think that is more obvious now after scoring 47 points in this game. I think he is even more important than a post player because this team is scrappy and plays hard. What they need is a reliable ballhandler to take the pressure off Turner. Turner is garbage on offense when he has to run the point. Play him with Vescovi and he can play the 2 guard which he is more comfortable and more effective playing. He is at point out of need and that would be his position if he plays pro ball somewhere including Europe. With a little luck, Vescovi is as sound fundamentally as he appears.

Go Vols!

Ok I came here to mention Vescovi as some people were calling for redshirt. No dman way. If he's half as good as his highlights he'll pass Turner and Bowden by years end. Or maybe in a couple weeks.

I watched and I listened. Memphis played some good defense but we missed a ton of open looks.
Bowden, Turner and Pons 6-31.

Olivier played like a 3 star today. Gaines only played 5 minutes that may have been a mistake by Barnes.

Pember played well with Pons if foul trouble.

If Bowden and Turner keep this up we wont miss their production next year. And we likely wont make the NCAA

Ok I came here to mention Vescovi as some people were calling for redshirt. No dman way. If he's half as good as his highlights he'll pass Turner and Bowden by years end. Or maybe in a couple weeks.

I watched and I listened. Memphis played some good defense but we missed a ton of open looks.
Bowden, Turner and Pons 6-31.

Olivier played like a 3 star today. Gaines only played 5 minutes that may have been a mistake by Barnes.

Pember played well with Pons if foul trouble.

If Bowden and Turner keep this up we wont miss their production next year. And we likely wont make the NCAA

That's a lot to ask from Vescovi so I'm not sure he passes those guys but Turner and Bowden are wildly inconsistent. I think having another lead guard will help both of those guys.

My take. When Vescovi is added to the roster half the rotation will be freshmen. If Plavsic were to become eligible then 6 of 11 will be freshmen.

Those freaking out over a loss (not you OP) need to slow their roll a bit. Making the NCAAT is still the goal. Looking at the rest of the SEC, it's highly likely TN gets there.

That’s a solid observation. This is the worst roster we’ve had in a long time. Watching them run around in the game today was cringe worthy at times. It’s hard to understand after all the success of late why we don’t have more players. And agree...the makeup of the team is bad.

To be fair I did not see the Memphis game. I couldn't get out of a function I had to attend. I listened to as much of it as I could during my drive.

My impressions are not just based on this game but what I've seen to this point in the season.

First, Coach Barnes is getting every ounce of potential out of this team as a whole. The makeup of UT to this point hasn't been one that can just reload after losing 2 players early to the NBA. This appears to be a team that is going to have to continue to get better because of youth and a lack of a first option. Basically we have a gritty team and not a smooth or high octane one. I will be very surprised if that changes this year.

I am really surprised at the unorthodoxed makeup of this roster. Part of it are the transfers and the other part is what I mentioned earlier - early losses to the NBA. Our depth down low and at PG are paper thin. No size at all with Plasic ineligible. Lose Kent's height but he was irrelevant in the post. Then Burns transferred. I think most of us felt going into the off season last year he would be important.

Then we got too many guys that play the 3 and 4 position but none of them are consistent - Gaines, Pember, Pons, Fulkerson and Johnson. At least Gaines and Pember have excuses.

The guard position is another paper thin area with the PG transfer from Oregon sitting out. James is still young but unfortunately because how bereft of offensive firepower across the board we need his immediate help. This takes us to Bowden and Turner.

This is the same pattern we've seen from these two their whole careers. They struggle for chunks of the season only they do not have Bone, Schofield, Willams and even a rim protector like Alexander to cover for them. I really thought these guys were past this after they got going late in the season. Let's face it, if they don't score we probably don't win. They are that important and that's scary.

I mentioned the other day, Vescovi will be needed immediately and I think that is more obvious now after scoring 47 points in this game. I think he is even more important than a post player because this team is scrappy and plays hard. What they need is a reliable ballhandler to take the pressure off Turner. Turner is garbage on offense when he has to run the point. Play him with Vescovi and he can play the 2 guard which he is more comfortable and more effective playing. He is at point out of need and that would be his position if he plays pro ball somewhere including Europe. With a little luck, Vescovi is as sound fundamentally as he appears.

Go Vols!
Good post. If this team gets to the tournament, it will be a successful year. Right now we are positioned to do so but it is early. Take care of the next 3 out of conferences games and we could perhaps win 9 to 10 games in league play and make it without any question.

We play hard defensively and actually rebound much better than I thought we thus far despite not having much size. We REALLY need Vescovi to play and be solid as a backup to Turner. At minimum 15 minutes per game. That may be too much to ask but Turner is pressing and struggling as bad offensively as any prominent player I can think of...ever at UT. Turner doesn’t need to be the #1 option offensively, or #2 and maybe not #3, but thus far has taken more FG attempts than anyone else. Almost 2x as many as Fulky and JJJ. It isn’t working.

Bowden’s role is set and is a good two way player, but he isn’t a great #1 option either. If Vescovi can play, Turner can play more 2G at times and I would choose not to give Johnson any minutes at all. Sorry...but he gives us nothing when he is on the floor and even his perimeter shooting isn’t that good. May be cold but he can’t play at this level. JJJ rebounds, plays pretty good defense and is growing offensively. I expect him to continue to improve as the season progresses and Barnes should continue telling him to be aggressive. I really like Gaines a lot. Play him easily over Johnson...at least 12 minutes per game. He has potential and plays defense and boards better than expected despite his slight frame. He isn’t afraid either...he has confidence in himself.

I think Fulky should be our #1 option in the half court set and Pons should be # 2. Do this, coach them to expect it and I think both Bowden and Turner will take better shots. Nkamhoua needs to slow down, but is a good backup to Fulky. He already rebounds and plays good defense for being a frosh, and in time his offense will come but it may not be until next year. Pember hasn’t shown us his perimeter shot, but when he is in the game he usually positively affects the game. Loose and 50/50 balls find him. Guy has skills and he needs 10-12 minutes per game.

Lastly, we need to run more when we force turnovers and secure long defensive rebounds. We have players at most positions who can handle the ball reasonably enough to try and get easier shots in transition. Early on I thought this is what Barnes wanted to do our lack of depth and carelessness with the ball seemingly changed his game plan. I would reconsider this strategy. Next year we should be flying up and down the court with the depth we should have. Let’s start having more fun offensively now. Fulky, Pons, Bowden, JJJ, Nkamhoua, Pember, Gaines, etc...perhaps Vescovi too, all these guys can run. Let them. We are not going to win the SEC or the NCAA tournament but our culture, player development and work ethic are sound. Just play hard, play smart and this team can surpass anyone’s expectations. Go Vols!

That’s a solid observation. This is the worst roster we’ve had in a long time. Watching them run around in the game today was cringe worthy at times. It’s hard to understand after all the success of late why we don’t have more players. And agree...the makeup of the team is bad.
You do realize that Memphis was ranked #13 in the nation?

Go Vols!

You nailed it. Well said. I said before the season that we were limited and would struggle this year. Still think we're an 18-ish win team. Bubble material.

Agree with everyone on the level of frustration watching today's game. The problem was we were getting good looks and still couldn't throw the ball in the ocean by guys who have proven to be good shooters in the past. Something is obviously wrong with Turner's shot this entire season. You don't be a good shooter for 3 seasons then all of a sudden become a terrible shot for no reason. Logically, I'd like to think the shooting will work itself out but you can't keep throwing games away you should win? Glad we've got a coach like CRB who knows what he's doing. I'll still be shocked if this isn't an NCAA team at the end of the season.

Reactions: RollerVol
My take. When Vescovi is added to the roster half the rotation will be freshmen. If Plavsic were to become eligible then 6 of 11 will be freshmen.

Those freaking out over a loss (not you OP) need to slow their roll a bit. Making the NCAAT is still the goal. Looking at the rest of the SEC, it's highly likely TN gets there.
Just the drive by melt down I predicted. Barnes and company will lose about 9 more and return to post season play. Young guys like James are going to accept their roles and win some close ones when the Srs are off their game down the stretch, This was one of my two more losses before Conference so I'm not too upset.

Agree with everyone on the level of frustration watching today's game. The problem was we were getting good looks and still couldn't throw the ball in the ocean by guys who have proven to be good shooters in the past. Something is obviously wrong with Turner's shot this entire season. You don't be a good shooter for 3 seasons then all of a sudden become a terrible shot for no reason. Logically, I'd like to think the shooting will work itself out but you can't keep throwing games away you should win? Glad we've got a coach like CRB who knows what he's doing. I'll still be shocked if this isn't an NCAA team at the end of the season.

I think he had shoulder surgery in the off-season. Maybe it will get better as the season goes on.

I will give a hint for the reason we were off today: semester finals. Terrible time to be playing Memphis. Nuff said. Move on to the next game.

Last edited:
Reactions: RollerVol
You nailed it. Well said. I said before the season that we were limited and would struggle this year. Still think we're an 18-ish win team. Bubble material.

We have a lack of weapons but we need 4 or 5 guys the can get 8-12 points a night. Today we just had 1 guy in double figures and he is a true freshman.

Adding a guy that can facilitate and hit an open shot should help. And just to clarify my comment about Turner. I think he is a good player but he is not Jordan Bone. It is hard to facilitate and try to be an aggressive offensive player. Clearly he struggles to do both together. He needs more rest even when he's on the floor.

VN Store

Back