My opinion on '22 recruits

allen phillips

I see that there is much angst on this board because Kellie has only one commit for 22 None of us know what CKH
is thinking or what her plans are. We have until signing day to gather new players. If Kellies starts off the year with a strong showing there is no telling what strong players may change their minds and hop aboard. Kellie had a great recruiting year with last year's recruits and may well have another this year. Relax and let Kellie do her stuff. I think she is going to be a very successful coach for Lady Vols basketball.

2022 Commits
South Carolina - 0
aTm - 1
Florida - 1
Georgia - 0
LSU - 1
Miss State - 1
ND - 0

It's a little early to worry. November is the early signing period and many wait until March to sign.
KJH is in on several really good players and there are a few other good players that still have UT in their finalists.
I really feel the 2022 class will be better than the 2021 and 2023 will be a gold mine.

2022 Commits
South Carolina - 0
aTm - 1
Florida - 1
Georgia - 0
LSU - 1
Miss State - 1
ND - 0

It's a little early to worry. November is the early signing period and many wait until March to sign.
KJH is in on several really good players and there are a few other good players that still have UT in their finalists.
I really feel the 2022 class will be better than the 2021 and 2023 will be a gold mine.

Thank you, thank you, thank you................and thank you some more.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
2022 Commits
South Carolina - 0
aTm - 1
Florida - 1
Georgia - 0
LSU - 1
Miss State - 1
ND - 0

And our commit is the highest ranked one in the SEC if you can go by ESPN rankings. But the SEC looks like it is having a really bad recruiting year with only 4 commitments out of the top 100 players, and with the majority of the top 100 having already committed. We are out of the running for any recruits ranked higher than Justine so we will likely get supplanted in having the highest ranked player before it is all said and done.

We could end up with the best class in the SEC if we pull our remaining targets and the other teams don't finish strong, but it won't be anything like the classes Warlick was regularly pulling in. Everyone will have different opinions on whether to consider that a success or not.

And our commit is the highest ranked one in the SEC if you can go by ESPN rankings. But the SEC looks like it is having a really bad recruiting year with only 4 commitments out of the top 100 players, and with the majority of the top 100 having already committed. We are out of the running for any recruits ranked higher than Justine so we will likely get supplanted in having the highest ranked player before it is all said and done.

We could end up with the best class in the SEC if we pull our remaining targets and the other teams don't finish strong, but it won't be anything like the classes Warlick was regularly pulling in. Everyone will have different opinions on whether to consider that a success or not.
Success or failure is finally judged by performance on the court. That is the way you would have to judge Warlick's classes and now Harper's. Almost every class that Warlick brought in underperformed their ranking on the court. We have to hope that isn't the case with Harper's and we'll get a preview soon.

Success or failure is finally judged by performance on the court. That is the way you would have to judge Warlick's classes and now Harper's. Almost every class that Warlick brought in underperformed their ranking on the court. We have to hope that isn't the case with Harper's and we'll get a preview soon.

There you go !

2022 Commits
South Carolina - 0
aTm - 1
Florida - 1
Georgia - 0
LSU - 1
Miss State - 1
ND - 0

Georgia - Tineya Hylton, 5-7 PG class 22

Reactions: mcannon1

That is less a reflection on her classes and more a reflection on Warlick. And that is why she is no longer here. A lot of the players she failed to develop are doing fine now in the WNBA. It is unkind, and unfair to blame them for her failings.

Having great talent is necessary, but not sufficient to win championships. Just like development is necessary but not sufficient. You have to have both. So yeah, we absolutely can judge whether enough talent is being brought in, and do so independently of whether it is developed properly. To think otherwise would be like saying we can't judge the quality of the ingredients until we taste the cake. That is obviously not true. If you are missing the eggs, or the milk has gone over then you aren't going to end up with much of a cake regardless of how good a cook you are. And conversely, if the ingredients are good but the cake is overcooked we know the chef is the problem.

Reactions: lfvol and djtee
That is less a reflection on her classes and more a reflection on Warlick. And that is why she is no longer here. A lot of the players she failed to develop are doing fine now in the WNBA. It is unkind, and unfair to blame them for her failings.

Having great talent is necessary, but not sufficient to win championships. Just like development is necessary but not sufficient. You have to have both. So yeah, we absolutely can judge whether enough talent is being brought in, and do so independently of whether it is developed properly. To think otherwise would be like saying we can't judge the quality of the ingredients until we taste the cake. That is obviously not true. If you are missing the eggs, or the milk has gone over then you aren't going to end up with much of a cake regardless of how good a cook you are. And conversely, if the ingredients are good but the cake is overcooked we know the chef is the problem.
Yes a lot of them finally got with coaches and situations which demanded they give effort and intensity in their play something that never seemed to be reflected in their play at Tennessee. I think that is where the difference is going to come in someone that will get the maximum out of players on the court. I don't know how good this class will turn out to be I am optimistic about each and everyone of them. What we do know is that they were a highly ranked class consensus number 9 in the country using three rating systems and second in the SEC. So they need to be very good and need to elevate us again to a better finish than last season.

Reactions: krichunaka
I'll never forget the practice my late wife took me to when Holly scolded (a well known player) for hitting a nice 3 ball without going inside first....Holly did not seem to like the modern style offense that the game had evolved into. The 3 ball is an offensive weapon, not something to be avoided.

I'll never forget the practice my late wife took me to when Holly scolded (a well known player) for hitting a nice 3 ball without going inside first....Holly did not seem to like the modern style offense that the game had evolved into. The 3 ball is an offensive weapon, not something to be avoided.

3's are nice but I'll take the good ole 2 and a very good shooting percentage and be just as happy.

Reactions: LadyVol1908
We have to have the three ball threat otherwise the defense packs the middle, like Michigan.

correct.
The three is a weapon, but it can't be the whole arsenal
You have to have legitimate bombers to extend the defense or it collapses into the paint.
This is also where the midrange game comes in, these are often the soft-spots in a zone defense

You can always flash someone to the weak spots of the zone and a pass to this usually open player often creates havoc for the defense! But give me a guard/wing who can penetrate the weakest part of the zone and make the shot from inside the zone will have the defenders leaving their assignment and other players become open for easier shots !

If this athlete is quick enough to react to the defenses mistakes …. They can literally destroy the zone from inside! JMO

You can always flash someone to the weak spots of the zone and a pass to this usually open player often creates havoc for the defense! But give me a guard/wing who can penetrate the weakest part of the zone and make the shot from inside the zone will have the defenders leaving their assignment and other players become open for easier shots !

If this athlete is quick enough to react to the defenses mistakes …. They can literally destroy the zone from inside! JMO
exactly, cutting the top of the paint with a stop-n-pop or hitting the curl is just as effective as a bomb

To be fair, Coach, it's one point less effective.

A handful more bombs would have made a world of difference last season vs. WV, Conn, and GA (twice!).

So true Creek....Last year's team survived with just 2 real outside scorers left at the end of the year...Then, Davis played with a stress fracture and we were toast come NCAA time...The only reliable outside scorer left was Rae...It was a mathematical certainty we were going to lose.

That's one reason Coach Kellie is loading up with players that can hit from the deep outside.....If you make three 3 point shots, you will need to make five 2 point shots to surpass the 3 point total.....

This season will be fun, but next season when Justine gets here, the LVs are going to kick a lot of butts...
RxjleLwS_400x400.jpg

VN Store

Back