My Hatred has changed from AL/UF

My favorite obnoxious UGA fan experience. 1998 game in Athens. After our first score (FG) my brother loudly proclaims “With our defense, that’s all we’re going to need”. It pi##ed off the drunk in front of us. After some incoherent yells and threats, he turns around and says: “I hate TN!! I hate your school, I hate your liquor, I hate your food, I hate your music, and I hate your women!!”

My brother wanted to punch him, but I talked him down, didn’t want to get kicked out and miss the game. So the next time he gave that tirade again, I was moved by the Spirit and said, “Well, we have nothing but Christian love for our Georgia neighbors”. He turned around, shut up and was (pretty much) behaved the rest of the game. I think I scared him, cause his Mama probably talked to him that way.

To this day, I really don’t like obnoxious UGA fans, but I always smile and think about their Mama’s, at least some of them put in a fear of God in even the most obnoxious.

You never told anyone good game or nice job? It's the same sentiment. Congratulations doesn't have to be literal.
you mean another fan??
I mean I never told somebody "good game" if that person wasn't playing in the game.
?????

you mean another fan??
I mean I never told somebody "good game" if that person wasn't playing in the game.
?????
I mean my coworkers at my office, my neighbors, my brother (who is a big bammer), people in the grocery store, etc. You obviously aren't surrounded by them 247. It pays to be a good sport win or lose. That's what I was taught. Show respect and it will be shown back to you. Telling an opponent that their team played a good game and it was a nice win for them is just good sportsmanship. It doesn't have to be just between players.

I mean my coworkers at my office, my neighbors, my brother (who is a big bammer), people in the grocery store, etc. You obviously aren't surrounded by them 247. It pays to be a good sport win or lose. That's what I was taught. Show respect and it will be shown back to you. Telling an opponent that their team played a good game and it was a nice win for them is just good sportsmanship. It doesn't have to be just between players.
tl;dr warning
I get the whole sportsmanship thing.
And if I say "Ala**** played a good game," that's my observation about the game. I don't think that's good/bad/whatever sportsmanship at all, unless the person you're saying it to had a vested interest in the game, apart from just watching it?
I'm surrounded by UF, UGA, B***, VPI fans all day....and I hear it all the time....but I don't think they had one thing to do with the outcome of the game.
And if they don't realize it, well, I guess I'd tell em that.
I mean I've heard people say "Congratulations" to other fans, and I just thought it was silly.
This whole "we" concept in terms of team sports (from someone simply considering himself/herself/zeself as part of the team for watching and buying merchandise) I guess is a pretty big thing to some people, but with NIL I don't know how it will continue moving forward.
I mean I get what you're saying and don't really disagree. We all do the "we" thing to some extent, I guess, but it shows a lot of entitlement IMO.

Reactions: VOLfrombama
Don't get me wrong I still hate AL and UF. Although I seriously despise UGA fans at this point. I was at a festival this past weekend in Rome, GA. Never have I had so many people either bark or yell " go dawgs". What an overall classless trash program.
Lost a friend over them barking in my face. Truly a classless bunch.

tl;dr warning
I get the whole sportsmanship thing.
And if I say "Ala**** played a good game," that's my observation about the game. I don't think that's good/bad/whatever sportsmanship at all, unless the person you're saying it to had a vested interest in the game, apart from just watching it?
I'm surrounded by UF, UGA, B***, VPI fans all day....and I hear it all the time....but I don't think they had one thing to do with the outcome of the game.
And if they don't realize it, well, I guess I'd tell em that.
I mean I've heard people say "Congratulations" to other fans, and I just thought it was silly.
This whole "we" concept in terms of team sports (from someone simply considering himself/herself/zeself as part of the team for watching and buying merchandise) I guess is a pretty big thing to some people, but with NIL I don't know how it will continue moving forward.
I mean I get what you're saying and don't really disagree. We all do the "we" thing to some extent, I guess, but it shows a lot of entitlement IMO.
I think people take the compartmentalizing and labeling mentality to an extreme, but ultimately it is we. We as fans drive the demand for our teams, with money, eyes, etc. Without us, there is no billion dollar industry or whatever it is now. Without us there's no NIL, certainly no 200 million budget for coaches, the stadium, etc. And no I don't mean just me. I mean this entire fanbase. Every eye watching pays for a slice of the Big Orange Machine.

So I can see it both ways. I certainly wasn't on the field throwing or catching or tackling someone. But I was watching, donating, wringing my hands, celebrating, mourning, buying merch, clicking articles, talking about it, and helping to generate that revenue. So i don't get upset if someone says we or us in reference to a game because I do have a significant vested interest in the game, emotionally, financially, etc, and the success of my team. I mean, crap, I've let tennessee football run my life in the fall for 46 years, made all sorts of donations to the program, and am certainly invested emotionally on wins and losses. Ain't no stopping that now! Recent success has only made that more intense!

We talk a lot of sports at our office. Since i am the boss I have to set the example of etiquette. So I always congratulate the ones that are interested in conversation. I want to make sure they know I can recognize their pain or enjoy their successes too. That's may just be me, but I have had a lot of success with that model in the workplace as well as in society.

I can understand some of the disdain for UGA fans barking in some instances. In a game day atmosphere I’m fine with it and on occasion take a part, and I usually give students a pass so long as it doesn’t get out of hand, I mean it’s CFB! It’s supposed to be a bit rowdy! Although, away from game day or being a student I can see where it gets a bit ridiculous. Time and place for everything. A 45 year old barking in the middle of a restaurant is just ridiculous.

However, I do have a good friend that’s a Vol, and I’ll bark at him sometimes when we are hanging out. We might be of a different opinion on a subject and at an impasse so I’ll just start barking at him for fun. Usually it’s after a few cocktails. He always comes back with a clever retort, something like “Come on now be a good boy, no need to get all excited. Stay away from my leg and maybe I’ll throw the ball for you later!” It’s all in good fun.

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
Quite true!
Years ago (98) when we were down there, they were absolutely disgusting. However, near the end of the game when we were slaughtering them, they began to leave in droves to the sound of all Vol fans chanting, "Keep Jim Donnan, Keep Jim Donnan." They weren't nearly so disgusting then. The worst fan base I've ever known, and I'm an old man.

Sounds like GA will certainly be a middle of the road football program from here on. I mean this kind of luck can’t possibly be sustainable! /s

Obviously I’m only joking! Hell, I know we will be good for at least another year or two! My magic 8 ball wouldn’t dare lie to me!"
The real luck is that Kirby hasn’t gotten caught cheating on his wife with one of his players yet

Reactions: DirtyDawg
He definitely will still be our starter next year, and we will play UTjr next year.
No, next year we are playing the same schedule we are playing this year except the home and home is flipped. So no Texas for Nico unless it's postseason or he is still around in 2026.

Yeah I hate Georgia and Kentucky worse than anyone in the country. Georgias fans are the absolute worst. At least Alabama (for the most part in my experience) fans act like they’ve been there before and most of the true Alabama fans I’ve talked with are respecting what Heup is bringing to the table. I just really can’t stand Georgia or their fans. There aren’t enough words to describe how much I hate Georgia. Kentucky on the other hand I just hate because their fans really think they are something when I’m all reality, they’re not😂😂

Don't get me wrong I still hate AL and UF. Although I seriously despise UGA fans at this point. I was at a festival this past weekend in Rome, GA. Never have I had so many people either bark or yell " go dawgs". What an overall classless trash program.
so you are dead in MTG country district and you expect humble and normal?

Reactions: GordonC
I doubt they were barking much when Donnan and Goff were coaching!
I was a little kid then, but sure we were barking! Maybe not for four quarters, but that first quarter was loud. I mean, as a Dawg, I can say that when your main rivals are constantly kicking the shite out of you barking isn’t much fun. You do your best to not stick the tail between your legs and then when you’re safely behind the fence you commence barking again.🤣

Seriously though, I’ve no excuse for some fans. We’ve all got many we are ashamed of. The fair weather fans are the only ones that really piss me off though. They weren’t fans when we were getting the shite kicked out of us or when we went through several years of being so close only to suffer a heartbreaking loss. These fans aren’t true fans.

No, next year we are playing the same schedule we are playing this year except the home and home is flipped. So no Texas for Nico unless it's postseason or he is still around in 2026.
Is that right? Well gaw dang, forgive me, I live south of the equator and don’t get to passively listen to espn and learn his stuff without actively looking it up. They just show me a bunch of soccer on espn here haha.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
Is that right? Well gaw dang, forgive me, I live south of the equator and don’t get to passively listen to espn and learn his stuff without actively looking it up. They just show me a bunch of soccer on espn here haha.
Yep, nobody was too happy about it. Oklahoma coming back to Neyland will be pretty cool though.

Reactions: Rockytop10nessee
I lived in Chattanooga from 96-04 and UGa fans have always been awful. We went to their sh*thole stadium the year Clausen was injured and James Banks started at QB and I’ve never been treated so awfully by an opposing team’s fans. We were actually behaving pretty well at the game, considering we were in our early 20’s, but were all feeling the effects of a late night in Buckhead the night before. People my parent’s age were cursing us the whole game and barking like idiots for 3 hours straight. My buddy had a liquor bottle thrown at him on the way out of the stadium and we got back to our cars to find them covered in trash. I’ll never go back there.
I’m sure some of our fans are awful, but I feel like their fans think they are like Raiders fans or something.

but I feel like their fans think they are like Raiders fans or something.
Almost forgot about those stupid fan outfits they wear that look like the 80's-90's band, Gwar.

They should rename their stadium after the band's fourth album: "This Toilet Earth"

Do a Google image search of Gwar and tell me it doesn't look the classy bunch from Athens.

(as an equal opportunity observer, it's hard to criticize another fan base when your team has this...)

vols_fan.png

VN Store

Back