My guess at permanent teams after SEC realignment.

I could see them making UGA one of our permanent rivals. Given the trajectories the two programs appear to be on for the foreseeable future, they’ll want those tv ratings.
Georgia is a almost assuredly going to be paired with Auburn and Florida. I don’t think the SEC would also give them Tennessee on top of that. That’s a pretty rough trio.

Yeah - Georgia and SC go way back before SC became an expansion team. Georgia should be UF, Auburn, and SC.
Tenn should be UF, Vandy (even though I wish we could just dump them), and Bama.

Yeah - Georgia and SC go way back before SC became an expansion team. Georgia should be UF, Auburn, and SC.
Tenn should be UF, Vandy (even though I wish we could just dump them), and Bama.
Kentucky considers Tennessee their top rival. They would really bark at not playing us every year.

Ok so when they go to this 6/6/3 schedule…
is Tennessee going to play Bama candy and UK then 6 conference games in year 202? Then play the SAME teams next year but switch home/away? Or okay 6 different teams?
also how will they determine who has 5 home and 4 away games? Old sec west gets 5 home games odd years old sec east even years???

If Sankey and the SEC power structure go to 9 conference games with three permanent rivals and 6 rotators each season when Texas and Oklahoma join in either 2024 or 2025, this is what I think the 3 permanent teams will be for each of the 16 schools.

ALA - AUB, TENN, VAN
ARK - TEX, MIZ, OLE
AUB - ALA, UGA, MSU
FLA - UGA, LSU, USC
KEN - TENN, MSU, VAN
LSU - OLE, TAMU, FLA
MIZ - ARK, USC, OU
OLE - MSU, LSU, ARK
MSU - OLE, KEN, AUB
OU - TEX, TAMU, MIZ
TAMU - TEX, LSU, OU
TENN - ALA, KEN, VAN
TEX - OU, TAMU, ARK
UGA - FLA, AUB, USC
USC - UGA, FLA, MIZ
VAN - TENN, ALA, KEN

Tell me where you think im wrong and/or, if you agree with me, which schools would make out the best and which the worst with my scenario.
I’d like to not have the two shittiest teams in the SEC as our permanent rivals

No kidding. Pretty sure we would dump Kentucky.
Or hopefully Vandy. But no way would the rest of the league agree to letting us play them both every year anyway. Hopefully we get UT: Bama, Florida, and then one of those two. What I’d love to see : Bama, Florida, and Texas

Reactions: lukeneyland
Ok so when they go to this 6/6/3 schedule…
is Tennessee going to play Bama candy and UK then 6 conference games in year 202? Then play the SAME teams next year but switch home/away? Or okay 6 different teams?
also how will they determine who has 5 home and 4 away games? Old sec west gets 5 home games odd years old sec east even years???
Year One: 3 permanent rivals 2 at home 1 away, 3 rotators at home, other 3 rotators away.
Year Two: same 3 permanent rivals 1 at home 2 away, new set of 3 rotators at home, other 3 rotators at home.
Year three uses year one 6 rotators but changes their home and away locations.
Year four uses year two 6 rotators but changes their home and Away locations.

Last edited:
Or hopefully Vandy. But no way would the rest of the league agree to letting us play them both every year anyway. Hopefully we get UT: Bama, Florida, and then one of those two. What I’d love to see : Bama, Florida, and Texas

I think the SEC office will do everything possible to let each team have who they consider their number one rival.
For Vandy, that is Tennessee.
For UK, that is Tennessee.
For Tennessee, that is Bama.
for Bama, it is Auburm
for Auburn, it is Bama
for UGA, it is UF
For UF, it is UGA
For MSU, IT is Ole
For Ole, it is MSU
For Texas, It is OU
For OU, it is Texas
For TAMU, its Texas
For Ark, it’s debatably LSU or Texas
For LSU, it’s debatably Ole Or Bama
For USC, it’s Georgia
For MIZ, it’s prob Ark but they really don’t have one other than Kansas.

I agree. But for those two schools, we are by far and away their biggest rival. How can they be denied playing their biggest rival each year. And if you forced Heupel to honestly tell you what he’d prefer, I think he’d be fine with playing UK and Vandy every year.

Call me crazy but if I could pick I would go Bammer, UGA, and Florida for the vols

I agree. But for those two schools, we are by far and away their biggest rival. How can they be denied playing their biggest rival each year. And if you forced Heupel to honestly tell you what he’d prefer, I think he’d be fine with playing UK and Vandy every year.

Yep, when this comes up, the people involved in the budget don't care who wins they want what their fanbase consider a must-see rival game yearly. to them it's about $ not Ws.

Any schedule that has us not playing Florida and Georgia every year is based on money and not rivalry. Simple statement I know, just felt the need to say it.

I’d like Bama, Florida and Auburn

Because they are Kentucky and Vanderbilt and they have no clout in matters regarding football. It’d be to our financial detriment to be stuck with them every year. I disagree I think Heup prefers the big stage

Reactions: swampfoxfan
I think the most likely one out of all these predictions across every team is for us doing Vandy, Kentucky, and Alabama. That just makes sense to me.
Because they are Kentucky and Vanderbilt and they have no clout in matters regarding football. It’d be to our financial detriment to be stuck with them every year. I disagree I think Heup prefers the big stage
You understand we've been playing those two teams for the last hundred years? We've made it out just fine. Also keep in mind we're adding another SEC game, so that'll certainly add additional revenue.

Reactions: DuckInAPen

VN Store

Back