My goodness, I really love VN.com...

Oh the irony op. Lol. You criticize the posters for being critical. Lol. You can’t make that up. I’m in the category of...be happy we won but still hope for more. All the rivals we want to catch (uga, uf, and bama) win by multiple scores because that’s what good teams do. They win going away over an inferior opponent. The truth is we weren’t very good against a really bad team. If not for a couple of unbelievable breaks we could’ve lost. We should be better. With one of the top 10 rosters in America, one of the highest paid coaching staffs, a 4 year starter at qb, and a handful of special players scattered throughout the roster we should be better

Reactions: VolArmy74
I don't get the "but we were supposed to win" argument used against UT and the same person gushing over a UF win where they were favored by double digits. They were supposed to win too.
I think the difference is UF won like a team that was supposed to win. Decisively and without question. They never trailed and they were still piling it on in the 4th. Tennesse won like a man who just escaped eternal hellfire by the skin of his teeth. There was a halfway decent chance that the game was headed to overtime if it weren't for that bone headed mistake on the punt at the end. Granted ESPN did have us losing this game and it was projected to be close, but c'mon Tennessee is always supposed to beat USCjr. A win is a win which is better than a loss to GA St. The silver lining is that Tennessee doesn't suck that bad anymore.

Good win.. Game went exactly how I thought, inconsistent, and considering what the team has been through that’s fine.. Only two points of concern for me that need immediate attention..

1. Secondary
2. Drives stalling in + territory.

Get those cleaned up, we’ll be fine as we continue to navigate this crazy season

I think the difference is UF won like a team that was supposed to win. Decisively and without question. They never trailed and they were still piling it on in the 4th. Tennesse won like a man who just escaped eternal hellfire by the skin of his teeth. There was a halfway decent chance that the game was headed to overtime if it weren't for that bone headed mistake on the punt at the end. Granted ESPN did have us losing this game and it was projected to be close, but c'mon Tennessee is always supposed to beat USCjr. A win is a win which is better than a loss to GA St. The silver lining is that Tennessee doesn't suck that bad anymore.
And UF was supposed to do that. They were favored by 13.5.

Reactions: 2GeeZ4VolZ
And UF was supposed to do that. They were favored by 13.5.

Well we’re wanting to see a team that’s “supposed” to beat a terrible team by 13.5. Ole miss will likely end up being better than sc. And the only difference between TN and fl is the coach. Go look at the rosters of the 2 teams. The cumulative rosters are very comparable but TN is like 1 or 2 spots ahead of them. We should’ve dominated sc. and we likely would have with consistent qb play. But Pruitt never even left the door open for any qb other than JG to play

Well we’re wanting to see a team that’s “supposed” to beat a terrible team by 13.5. Ole miss will likely end up being better than sc. And the only difference between TN and fl is the coach. Go look at the rosters of the 2 teams. The cumulative rosters are very comparable but TN is like 1 or 2 spots ahead of them. We should’ve dominated sc. and we likely would have with consistent qb play. But Pruitt never even left the door open for any qb other than JG to play
Another great shoulda woulda coulda argument, they are getting old really.

Oh the irony op. Lol. You criticize the posters for being critical. Lol. You can’t make that up. I’m in the category of...be happy we won but still hope for more. All the rivals we want to catch (uga, uf, and bama) win by multiple scores because that’s what good teams do. They win going away over an inferior opponent. The truth is we weren’t very good against a really bad team. If not for a couple of unbelievable breaks we could’ve lost. We should be better. With one of the top 10 rosters in America, one of the highest paid coaching staffs, a 4 year starter at qb, and a handful of special players scattered throughout the roster we should be better
A coulda argument followed directly by a should argument, your debate coach must be in the hall of fame.

Reactions: 2GeeZ4VolZ

Vegas and most “analysts” disagree we were supposed to win by a large margin.

We missed some opportunities when we had a short field and I do think if JG had not overthrown so many open WRs the score would have been a little more lopsided.

It wasn’t all on JG though. He did lead the team to 24 points. The defense gave up too much in the middle of the field and allowed 27 points.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I love to come here on a Sunday and attempt to pick through the cry baby threads to find the occasional "diamond in the rough" analysis of Saturday's game. You know, the kind of conversation that is insightful. And maybe that's because I don't quite get the detailed analysis in Middle Tennessee as I used to growing up in Knoxville (where the talk is 24/7 Vols).

But do we really need another "same old jg" thread? When does Volnation as a whole gain a little perspective? Why would you ever expect this passing game to be flawless coming off of the most inconsistent off season in our lifetime (38 years for me)? JG has what it takes but whether he puts it all together sometime this year, who knows. But let's remember that this year is going to be one of inconsistency.

That's the name of the game for 2020 but we should still be able to look at the bigger picture, which is that we came out with a W in an away game with an SEC opponent. This is the year I expect us to turn the page on this program, but that doesn't mean what many if you are thinking. We may not win big this year, but I believe the days of being pushed around are over. We will feild a respectable team every year and one that gets closer to a championship from here on out.

As I suggested last year, I would suggest again that no one post until 24 hours have elapsed after the game. AND NEVER POST DURING THE GAME BECAUSE YOU SOUND LIKE A SPOILED BRAT:)! You can actually read comments during and immediately after the game and there's a marked difference in tone and true info a day or two later. I have a business partner that's prone to negativity constantly and he's all Vol too. BUT he rarely says anything positive about the team and we all sit together in our sections and its miserable sitting with him during the game. Most have learned to tune him out but it does get old.

As I suggested last year, I would suggest again that no one post until 24 hours have elapsed after the game. AND NEVER POST DURING THE GAME BECAUSE YOU SOUND LIKE A SPOILED BRAT:)! You can actually read comments during and immediately after the game and there's a marked difference in tone and true info a day or two later. I have a business partner that's prone to negativity constantly and he's all Vol too. BUT he rarely says anything positive about the team and we all sit together in our sections and its miserable sitting with him during the game. Most have learned to tune him out but it does get old.

There was some gold star posts in the game thread after we went down 7-0.

Reactions: tennrich1
Last year, at this time & at 0-2 I was posting pro Pruitt/trust the process type posts.

Last year beating USCe was a big deal to me. Under normal circumstances I think we only play 3-4 games a year before the Bowl Game where winning should be a big deal. Last year wasn't normal.

Given that our State's ChinaFlu quarantine requirements possibly gave us more adversity & disadvantage to overcome than most SEC teams; I'm happy as can be we didn't suffer a letdown.

I'm full of optimism about our chances of knocking off one of the big 3. I feel better about our season's ceiling after the game than I did before....., but we didn't raise the bar off the floor last night.

This isn't the thread for it, but there's allot from last night's game I think we need to improve on if we're to finish 6-4 or better.

Nothing but coffee, smiles, & positive UT optimism on my porch. But I ain't calling it a big deal & handing out cookies for beating USCe no more. In honor of beating USCe I'm handing out black liquorice. Auburn/AtM might get cookies. GA/FL/AL = Cake.

I love to come here on a Sunday and attempt to pick through the cry baby threads to find the occasional "diamond in the rough" analysis of Saturday's game. You know, the kind of conversation that is insightful. And maybe that's because I don't quite get the detailed analysis in Middle Tennessee as I used to growing up in Knoxville (where the talk is 24/7 Vols).

But do we really need another "same old jg" thread? When does Volnation as a whole gain a little perspective? Why would you ever expect this passing game to be flawless coming off of the most inconsistent off season in our lifetime (38 years for me)? JG has what it takes but whether he puts it all together sometime this year, who knows. But let's remember that this year is going to be one of inconsistency.

That's the name of the game for 2020 but we should still be able to look at the bigger picture, which is that we came out with a W in an away game with an SEC opponent. This is the year I expect us to turn the page on this program, but that doesn't mean what many if you are thinking. We may not win big this year, but I believe the days of being pushed around are over. We will feild a respectable team every year and one that gets closer to a championship from here on out.

DG’s takeaways are always a must read and a good place to start.

Reactions: IndianaVol
There was some gold star posts in the game thread after we went down 7-0.
I bet. That's why I never read those things especially during the game. I always picture a guy with 5 days growth of a beard, in his pajamas maybe missing a few teeth, on a 3 day drunk, sitting in a recliner screaming his head off at the TV, kids, wife, dog and goldfish. That's probably a little extreme I'm sure:D:D.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I bet. That's why I never read those things especially during the game. I always picture a guy with 5 days growth of a beard, in his pajamas maybe missing a few teeth, on a 3 day drunk, sitting in a recliner screaming his head off at the TV, kids, wife, dog and goldfish. That's probably a little extreme I'm sure:D:D.

1601246988282.gif

I’m gonna go get my razor

Reactions: tennrich1 and McDad

"Put this game behind us..."
"3rd down play calling horrendous"
"Plenty of blame to go around"
"The football gods hate us"

Heh. Only here, it seems, can we self-flagellate so obsessively after a win. JG sucked, Jeremy Banks is out of control, Pruitt's psychological profile says he thinks this is the best we can do, at this rate we won't win another game this year, the defense is totally incapable of covering the middle of the field, our play callers are imbeciles--especially on 3rd downs, staff is worse than Butch's was, we're screwed at tight end, the offensive line was not nearly as impressive as everyone thought they should be, Ramel Keyton was awful, did I mention JG sucked, why didn't we run more, why couldn't we pass better, it was just sheer luck that got us the W, ...

My goodness gracious me.

I'm gonna ignore most of you, grab a cup of coffee, sit on the front porch and smile a lot about a Vols victory, appreciate the coaches and lads for being there for us. And be hella happy that college football is back.

Go Vols!

Well you made a lot of points.
So evidently you DIDN'T ignore most of anybody 😑...

Good luck going to sleep drinking all that coffee, bub 👍🇺🇸

"Put this game behind us..."
"3rd down play calling horrendous"
"Plenty of blame to go around"
"The football gods hate us"

Heh. Only here, it seems, can we self-flagellate so obsessively after a win. JG sucked, Jeremy Banks is out of control, Pruitt's psychological profile says he thinks this is the best we can do, at this rate we won't win another game this year, the defense is totally incapable of covering the middle of the field, our play callers are imbeciles--especially on 3rd downs, staff is worse than Butch's was, we're screwed at tight end, the offensive line was not nearly as impressive as everyone thought they should be, Ramel Keyton was awful, did I mention JG sucked, why didn't we run more, why couldn't we pass better, it was just sheer luck that got us the W, ...

My goodness gracious me.

I'm gonna ignore most of you, grab a cup of coffee, sit on the front porch and smile a lot about a Vols victory, appreciate the coaches and lads for being there for us. And be hella happy that college football is back.

Go Vols!

This is asinine:

Pruitt's psychological profile says he thinks this is the best we can do, at this rate we won't win another game this year.

That said, I hope you enjoyed the heck out of that celebratory coffee, because if we play like that at OL, WB, LB, Secondary, FGK again... you may not have another victory to celebrate this year.

Alot of things have changed for me since this time last year. Real life things. We almost didn't have Football at all this year because of some of those things and life would have still kept right on its path full steam ahead.

I'm happy we beat Muschamp and SC. I'm happy we're 1-0. It was an opener of a season that because of a virus we weren't sure if we were gonna play at all and still don't know if we'll finish. It was at their place and an SEC opponent. Hopefully they'll learn from the mistakes and improve enough to win next week.

I opened the game thread once last night and only made it one page. Criticism is expected. What I saw was embarrassing. But, for me to complain makes me no better than that, so I'll just leave it at that.

Enjoy your coffee this morning JP and lets enjoy the win and hope we get to play again next week.

Go Vols!!!!
Didn't open it one time. I enjoyed watching football players wearing Tennessee uniforms....

The end.

Reactions: Behr
This is asinine:

Pruitt's psychological profile says he thinks this is the best we can do, at this rate we won't win another game this year.

That said, I hope you enjoyed the heck out of that celebratory coffee, because if we play like that at OL, WB, LB, Secondary, FGK again... you may not have another victory to celebrate this year.
The sky is falling. Woe is us.

I was impressed with the play in the trenches. I thought the other positions played as well as expected. I honestly didn't think the secondary would be lights out due to having guys out, so I'll give them a pass. Kicking game was a fluke. Loved the RBs.

But here's the deal, it's hard to get too excited when deep down you know this teamisn't going to win the big games and have a great year because... well, JG is wildly inaccurate.

VN Store

Back