My goodness, I really love VN.com...

I am curious, do you believe in participation trophies and 5* hearts as well? Nothing is wrong with giving criticism where it is justified. Yes, Vol nation is happy with an ugly win vice the alternative, but the truth is TN won't beat the top tier SEC teams if they continue to play like they had last night. We can blame lack of practices, offeseason distraction etc., but every other team is in that same boat, and they too will only get better with each rep. Also, there are some teams that that managed to look midseason form. Miss St. emplaced an entirely new offense with an entirely new coaching staff and were able to rack up 600 yds of offense with limited practices but let's be content with what we saw last night in our vols because it will take us to the mountain top. :rolleyes: By the way did you catch the Florida game? I for one am glad its the last game of the season because we aren't ready. Call me a debbie downer but sometimes the truth isn't rainbows and sunshine.

Last edited:
I agree... LSU apparently had a very impactful off seaason..
FYP, if you think the performance against a team that lost what 16 starters and the best QB in the country off of last years team and lost even more who sat out due to covid is a sign that Leach is going to have Miss State doing that constantly and in normal seasons when teams have film and regular practice time..by all means jump over to their bandwagon and ride with them.

"Put this game behind us..."
"3rd down play calling horrendous"
"Plenty of blame to go around"
"The football gods hate us"

Heh. Only here, it seems, can we self-flagellate so obsessively after a win. JG sucked, Jeremy Banks is out of control, Pruitt's psychological profile says he thinks this is the best we can do, at this rate we won't win another game this year, the defense is totally incapable of covering the middle of the field, our play callers are imbeciles--especially on 3rd downs, staff is worse than Butch's was, we're screwed at tight end, the offensive line was not nearly as impressive as everyone thought they should be, Ramel Keyton was awful, did I mention JG sucked, why didn't we run more, why couldn't we pass better, it was just sheer luck that got us the W, ...

My goodness gracious me.

I'm gonna ignore most of you, grab a cup of coffee, sit on the front porch and smile a lot about a Vols victory, appreciate the coaches and lads for being there for us. And be hella happy that college football is back.

Go Vols!
The reality is we started a helluva lot better than we did last year.

"Put this game behind us..."
"3rd down play calling horrendous"
"Plenty of blame to go around"
"The football gods hate us"

Heh. Only here, it seems, can we self-flagellate so obsessively after a win. JG sucked, Jeremy Banks is out of control, Pruitt's psychological profile says he thinks this is the best we can do, at this rate we won't win another game this year, the defense is totally incapable of covering the middle of the field, our play callers are imbeciles--especially on 3rd downs, staff is worse than Butch's was, we're screwed at tight end, the offensive line was not nearly as impressive as everyone thought they should be, Ramel Keyton was awful, did I mention JG sucked, why didn't we run more, why couldn't we pass better, it was just sheer luck that got us the W, ...

My goodness gracious me.

I'm gonna ignore most of you, grab a cup of coffee, sit on the front porch and smile a lot about a Vols victory, appreciate the coaches and lads for being there for us. And be hella happy that college football is back.

Go Vols!
Love the win, but most anyone can tell we have a lot of work to do on both sides of he ball. I think it reflects the limited number of practices our players have had and the fact that a number of true Freshmen that played last night. There is no doubt that we will get better as the season plays out. While the high overthrows are dangerous and frustrating, they did not result in turn overs and they can be corrected. We gave up way too many slant passes, but they were against a true Freshman and a former running back playing linebacker who did not play football last year. I saw some very good playes by these same players and believe they and others will play much better by even next week. The almost blocked field goal block was a result od a defensive lineman not seaking to the inside. This too will not happen again. A new starter at WR made of couple of wrong movers and a couple of dropped balls, but we will have an outstanding group of receivers as the year continues.

Overall, even with the first game mistakes, we beat a SEC team on the road and apparently no one was seriously injured. I will take the win and anticipate another one this Saturday. I do think we need to get some game experience from one or more QBs and look forward to seeing some of our Freshmen WRs making some catches. Many think that one loses a game for every Freshman who starts/plays in the heart of a game, but we won last night. Special teams played better than I expected. They will also be better next week.

tumblr_lvrm08679N1qglwtqo1_500.gif
Doesn't he end up getting shot by that dude at the end of the movie?

Haha. To pals. Go Vols.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
You forgot to mention that the "Air Raid" coach we almost had piloted his team to an impressive victory over the defending national championship team in only his first game as an SEC head coach.
How close were we hiring Leach? Trying to remember . Trip to LA to meet him there?

I think you can be thankful for a win while pointing out some glaring issues (outplayed and outscored at beginning of each half/awful 3rd down play calling). But 1-0 is better than the alternative.

How many fall practices did we even get? I'll take a win over South Carolina on the road.
Same can be said for every team. The issues people are upset with about JG is that he has showed this every season. He misses high and not close to wide open folks. Im not sure covid 19 impacted that bc thats a 3 year trend pal. Unless covid was around 3 years ago. Then I see your point.

I remember a time when we couldn’t beat anyone. A win is a win and we are playing football. Take the dub, clean up the miscues and take it to Missouri next week.
At the end of the movie, "My Cousin Vinny," Vinny's girlfriend is giving him grief. He's just won his first case ever in court, but he's pouting about HOW he won it (needed her help). And she says something like, "Imagine this, imagine a world where you win all your cases, you win case after case after case, and after each one you have to go up to people and say "Thank you" for helping. Oh my god! What a f'ing nightmare!"

It's hilarious. And I think about her saying that every time I see fellow Vols complaining about how we WON. :)

I'm feeling fine with a Vols win. Are there things to work on, heck yes. But one also has to take in to account how many missed practice due to protocol. I had listened to a commentator a couple of weeks ago that mentioned TN has the strictest contact tracing rules in the SEC. Something else that stood out like a sore thumb yesterday, you're only going to be as good as your QB, gotta have a QB...i.e Georgia game. JG had his moments, as always, but then of course he can/does blow it often when it matters. He did ok, nothing to write home about.

I hope UT curb stomps Mizzou to death, resurrects them, them curb stomps them to death again.
Agreed. Theyre an imposter in our league and they need to be rudely reminded of this. Any team that resides in a city that doesn't serve sweet tea in restaurants has no shittin' business being in the SEC!

At the end of the movie, "My Cousin Vinny," Vinny's girlfriend is giving him grief. He's just won his first case ever in court, but he's pouting about HOW he won it (needed her help). And she says something like, "Imagine this, imagine a world where you win all your cases, you win case after case after case, and after each one you have to go up to people and say "Thank you" for helping. Oh my god! What a f'ing nightmare!"

It's hilarious. And I think about her saying that every time I see fellow Vols complaining about how we WON. :)
I guess that is what a decade-plus of losing will do to you, changes your psyche. Some are now estatic with a win over a subpar team. Given our talent the game should have never been close.

It’s pretty hilarious to see in the game day threads. The second kickoff happens 75% in there lose any critical thinking skills they may have and are ready to fire a coach on a 7 game win streak who has been recuiting great for us, bench the most experienced QB we have in the opening game of a year where our likely other two best options hardly got to practice. We’ve got plenty we can improve on, but just look around the NCAA yesterday and you will see the impact this off-season has had on teams, but we managed to get a victory.

It's why I stay out of the forums mostly the whole first half of games. It becomes napalm attack ply by play. In all athletics sometimes you don't necessarily do anything wrong it's just the other guy does something right. Of course we had to many plays where our QB play was not optimum, the staff needs this addressed asap but a win is a win.

I'm feeling fine with a Vols win. Are there things to work on, heck yes. But one also has to take in to account how many missed practice due to protocol. I had listened to a commentator a couple of weeks ago that mentioned TN has the strictest contact tracing rules in the SEC. Something else that stood out like a sore thumb yesterday, you're only going to be as good as your QB, gotta have a QB...i.e Georgia game. JG had his moments, as always, but then of course he can/does blow it often when it matters. He did ok, nothing to write home about.
You are aware that these protocols, lack of practice, and such has effected every team, not just the Vols. That excuse isn't going to fly. There are some teams that managed to look decent such as Miss St and UF. Even Ole Miss with it's loss showed that it is going to be an offensive force. I for one am happy we aren't facing Miss. St this year because there is no way we can currently go toe to toe with that Air Raid, not with JG at the helm. Also, Trask put up 6 TD's yesterday for UF, it will get ugly in December if we don't improve.

for all of those negative comments the OP stated I say the team played hard. They gave everything they had and with as little preparation time as the team had I am suprised they were not out of shape and tased at the end. I am proud of this win, and proud of our team. They get better each year as the talent improves and the coaching improves.

GO Vols! beat Mizzou.

VN Store

Back