My admittedly off-base Kansas Game recap (L, 68-74)

Nix was very athletic, for sure. Two things stand out to me on the Pons vs. Nix comparison: (1) Nix was thinner and less physical as a result and (2) Nix was nowhere near the shot blocker Pons is.

Nix was quick and was a scorer, but Pons freakish athleticism and physicality is fun to watch.
It’s been awhile, but my memory of Nix was him being slightly taller but not nearly as muscular as Pons. Nix had a much more developed offensive game. Don’t recall him being a high flyer or blocking shots left and right. Wasn’t Nix first team all SEC?

It’s been awhile, but my memory of Nix was him being slightly taller but not nearly as muscular as Pons. Nix had a much more developed offensive game. Don’t recall him being a high flyer or blocking shots left and right. Wasn’t Nix first team all SEC?
Nix was a first team all SEC guy. His offensive game was really good. He was a scorer, and was gifted offensively. He was a "quick jumper," but wasn't close to being a high flyer or shot blocker.

Tennessee shot the ball just as well at Kansas (overall 46.3% - 45.5%).

Tennessee out rebounded Kansas .

Tennessee had 1 more offensive rebound than Kansas.

Tennessee shot the 3, way better than Kansas (40% - 23.5%).

Tennessee shot free throws better than Kansas (75% - 61%).

Tennessee had 2 more assists than Kansas had.

Tennessee had 7 blocks to Kansas’s 5.

Kansas had 9 steals to Tennessee’s 2, and had 6 total turnovers to Tennessee’s 15.......there’s your game right there.

Tennessee overall played well enough to win.....just those pesky turnovers......many of which were unforced.

Tennessee played post O well enough (actually really good...for this team), they even defended the post “well enough.” Just over helped a bit too much for too long (the extra help has to be quick) and Dotson knocked down open shots.

The refs didn’t help, but man just a few less turnovers.....this game “could” have ended differently.

Got to say though, the O looked good, and “overall” the D didn’t look bad (you got to remember the fouls and young guys playing because of them).......when is the last time Tennessee played a good team and looked good on both ends? I think it’s been a while (for this team).
I didn't think the referees were any better or worse than a typical road game against a hostile crowd. Yeah, the home team got a few more in their favor but the opportunity was still there. I have seen it so bad that you don't even get the opportunity to win in games like this. Not the case Saturday.

I didn't think the referees were any better or worse than a typical road game against a hostile crowd. Yeah, the home team got a few more in their favor but the opportunity was still there. I have seen it so bad that you don't even get the opportunity to win in games like this. Not the case Saturday.
I agree, but the "so bad" example would be Kentucky last year in Rupp, right?

Which is more important, playing in the first round of SECT in order to get more wins or getting a bye in the first round hoping to go further?

History shows that first rd wins against sorry basketball teams do nothing for the selection committee.

I'm not even worried about the tournament right now. I just want to see improvement, from our FR especially

Agree

But a few of the “missed” fouls Saturday were really bad and really obvious.

Click on this pic and if on your phone turn sideways......to get a clear view of just how bad some of the missed calls were.

E5E77F8F-5495-4544-ADD5-C1D3CB2BE083.png

agree on all

Udoka Azubuike, HAS to work harder on D....in my opinion. A lot of that has to do with fouling, but for his size and the footwork he has.....his D “should” be much better......although he did pick it up on the D end towards the end of the game. He can also jump really high (I guys see that one dunk when like his entire arm was over the rim?)....so he is 7 foot, he has footwork, he knows positioning, and he can jump....(just needs a consistent motor...he seemed to have a good one.....when he wanted to).

Also with a guy like him.....no way Tennessee should have had as many paint points as they did.

But to your point he is really good.....and those who don’t think so might not be watching the same game as I was.

get those fouls down and work on his D (mostly hustle) and he’ll be.....well he’s already really good....so he’ll be even better than really good.
Not to sound like a broken record from the game thread, but he’s also really good at using those arms and elbows to push off and get separation without getting called for it. He was called for one. I counted at least six. Two were on the same possession when he almost forearmed Fulk to the ground twice In 5 seconds. I know, I know. I’ll have some cheese with my whine.

Not to sound like a broken record from the game thread, but he’s also really good at using those arms and elbows to push off and get separation without getting called for it. He was called for one. I counted at least six. Two were on the same possession when he almost forearmed Fulk to the ground twice In 5 seconds. I know, I know. I’ll have some cheese with my whine.

Yea I’ve posted several times about that, also posted a clear pic (twice) showing a blatant non call.

However that is really on the refs. If they are going to let a “true” big man bang lake that and push off.......he is probably going to do it.......and why shouldn’t he? (If their going to let him)

Yea I’ve posted several times about that, also posted a clear pic (twice) showing a blatant non call.

However that is really on the refs. If they are going to let a “true” big man bang lake that and push off.......he is probably going to do it.......and why shouldn’t he? (If their going to let him)
Didn’t see that. Glad I’m not alone. I’d do it, too if it was leaving me wide open under the basket.

Didn’t see that. Glad I’m not alone. I’d do it, too if it was leaving me wide open under the basket.

Really overall Fulky & Pons did a good job on him. I haven't looked closely but i think he scored 8 on UP & 4 on ON.

James was flat out terrible last game. No excuses there.

Uros could match the size of Azabuike, but he just did a terrible job on him. You're 7-1, why are you fronting anyone? Just stay between him and the basket and make him finish over you. He consistently did the exact opposite.

Jalen has come a long way defensively, but he gives us almost no offense. If he could just hit 3s, he'd be more than serviceable, but he just can't shoot.

Fulkerson, Pons, and Bowden had a great game. Bowden should have been guarding Dotson way more than he did. James got torched by him all game long.

This game does give me a lot of hope for the rest of the sec schedule. Kentucky and Auburn aren't the juggernauts they seemed to be. Florida is beatable. I think we can beat a decent Arkansas team here.

I thought that was our best game since the Washington victory with Turner playing.

Nice to see Bowden make some shots.

James was flat out terrible last game. No excuses there.

Uros could match the size of Azabuike, but he just did a terrible job on him. You're 7-1, why are you fronting anyone? Just stay between him and the basket and make him finish over you. He consistently did the exact opposite.

Jalen has come a long way defensively, but he gives us almost no offense. If he could just hit 3s, he'd be more than serviceable, but he just can't shoot.

Fulkerson, Pons, and Bowden had a great game. Bowden should have been guarding Dotson way more than he did. James got torched by him all game long.

This game does give me a lot of hope for the rest of the sec schedule. Kentucky and Auburn aren't the juggernauts they seemed to be. Florida is beatable. I think we can beat a decent Arkansas team here.
image.jpg

Really overall Fulky & Pons did a good job on him. I haven't looked closely but i think he scored 8 on UP & 4 on ON.
I thought as a whole, the team was surprisingly competitive. There were of a bunch of things that could've gone our way. In the end, too many turnovers. They have to lock that down.

VN Store

Back