My admittedly off-base Kansas Game recap (L, 68-74)

i2amavol

1. Tennessee can win a lot of games playing as well as they played today. Not many teams have an Azubuike, or maybe that much home court advantage. Oviously we had a couple of players who didn't bring their 'A' game, but overall a good step in the right direction against a good team.

2. I wish Tennessee wouldn't schedule games against the major cheaters. It is an extra smack in the face when we lose to teams with greater talent that was likely gotten the wrong way. I know we have no choice with LSU, but it just gets old. Just don't get me started (I know, I started it myself).

3. My opinions of Fulkerson have been on a bit of a roller coaster ride, throughout his career at Tennessee. I was majorly on his bandwagon after his injuries, and thought that he would make a major comeback at some point last year. When it didn't happen, and then this year, he had some moments when he wasn't getting it done, I began to doubt my prior analysis. However, he is now showing out a bit, and it is fun to watch.

4. Pons is another one that it was hard to envision him making the strides that he has made. I guess the sky is the limit for him. I think he can continue to add to his skill set, and one day find a place in the NBA. He obviously has a bit of work to do, to make that happen though.

5. If Bowden could only find consistency from game to game, he will be able to take it to the next level too. He has the physical tools, he just needs to get it settled between his ears.

6. It is hard to imagine all these freshmen being able to pull us through on the road in the SEC. So, it is anybody's guess as to where we go from here. We are going to need more good minutes from Plavsic than we got today. We are also going to need more zero - yes, I said zero - turnover nights from Vescovi, and he needs to get his 3 point shooting touch back.

7. I am resigned to Olivier, Gaines and Pember not helping a whole lot this year. I guess they will all have their moments, but that is about all we can expect. They all need to camp out in the weight room over the Summer, and bring lots of snacks and/or protein shakes.

8. If you don't want me to continue doing this, you need to do your job and give us our regularly scheduled recaps. You know who you are.(Disclamer: ignore all attempts at dry humor. No animals were harmed in the making of this summary. Taxes and title extra. Not available in all states.)

Last edited:
1. Tennessee can win a lot of games playing as well as they played today. Not many teams have an Azubuike, or maybe that much home court advantage. Oviously we had a couple of players who didn't bring their 'A' game, but overall a good step in the right direction against a good team.

2. I wish Tennessee wouldn't schedule games against the major cheaters. It is an extra smack in the face when we lose to teams with greater talent that was likely gotten the wrong way. I know we have no choice with LSU, but it just gets old. Just don't get me started (I know, I started it myself).

3. My opinions of Fulkerson have been on a bit of a roller coaster ride, throughout his career at Tennessee. I was majorly on his bandwagon after his injuries, and thought that he would make a major comeback at some point last year. When it didn't happen, and then this year, he had some moments when he wasn't getting it done, I began to doubt my prior analysis. However, he is now showing out a bit, and it is fun to watch.

4. Pons is another one that it was hard to invision him making the strides that he has made. I guess the sky is the limit for him. I think he can continue to add to his skill set, and one day find a place in the NBA. He obviously has a bit of work to do, to make that happen though.

5. If Bowden could only find consistency from game to game, he will be able to take it to the next level too. He has the physical tools, he just needs to get it settled between his ears.

6. It is hard to imagine all these freshmen being able to pull us through on the road in the SEC. So, it is anybody's guess as to where we go from here. We are going to need more good minutes from Plavsic than we got today. We are also going to need more zero - yes, I said zero - turnover nights from Vescovi, and he needs to get his 3 point shooting touch back.

7. I am resigned to Olivier, Gaines and Pember not helping a whole lot this year. I guess they will all have their moments, but that is about all we can expect. They all need to camp out in the weight room over the Summer, and bring lots of snacks and/or protein shakes.

8. If you don't want me to continue doing this, you need to do your job and give us our regularly scheduled recaps. You know who you are.(Disclamer: ignore all attempts at dry humor. No animals were harmed in the making of this summary. Taxes and title extra. Not available in states.)
Lol I think the definition of a job is a paid position of regular employment. You are on a free site. The man or men you are talking about are most likely volunteers. Beggars can’t be choosers.
Other than that, pretty sweet write up. I enjoyed it until that last one

Tennessee shot the ball just as well at Kansas (overall 46.3% - 45.5%).

Tennessee out rebounded Kansas .

Tennessee had 1 more offensive rebound than Kansas.

Tennessee shot the 3, way better than Kansas (40% - 23.5%).

Tennessee shot free throws better than Kansas (75% - 61%).

Tennessee had 2 more assists than Kansas had.

Tennessee had 7 blocks to Kansas’s 5.

Kansas had 9 steals to Tennessee’s 2, and had 6 total turnovers to Tennessee’s 15.......there’s your game right there.

Tennessee overall played well enough to win.....just those pesky turnovers......many of which were unforced.

Tennessee played post O well enough (actually really good...for this team), they even defended the post “well enough.” Just over helped a bit too much for too long (the extra help has to be quick) and Dotson knocked down open shots.

The refs didn’t help, but man just a few less turnovers.....this game “could” have ended differently.

Got to say though, the O looked good, and “overall” the D didn’t look bad (you got to remember the fouls and young guys playing because of them).......when is the last time Tennessee played a good team and looked good on both ends? I think it’s been a while (for this team).

We didn't get to see the first few minutes of the game, but it appears that we did not start out any better than usual on offense. Maybe it is just the result of a major focus on defense. At least Kansas didn't score a lot at that point either.

Reactions: RollerVol
JJJ has been playing and getting better and better the last month or so, but he absolutely killed the team today. Seemed like the atmosphere and moment was just too big for him today. I hate to put so much on one player, but if he plays just average today we win.
ON hurt us a lot when he was on the floor today too.
Vescovi is improving defensively, but still is having a lot of lapses.

On the positive, Bowden played an awesome second half and looked confident playing offense for first time in a long time. If he has finally turned a corner, and Pons and Fulkerson can continue playing at a high level, a tourney bid is not out of the question even with our tough upcoming schedule.

Kansas had 9 steals to Tennessee’s 2, and had 6 total turnovers to Tennessee’s 15.......there’s your game right there.

Tennessee overall played well enough to win.....just those pesky turnovers......many of which were unforced.

Tennessee played post O well enough (actually really good...for this team), they even defended the post “well enough.” Just over helped a bit too much for too long (the extra help has to be quick) and Dotson knocked down open shots.

The refs didn’t help, but man just a few less turnovers.....this game “could” have ended differently.

Got to say though, the O looked good, and “overall” the D didn’t look bad (you got to remember the fouls and young guys playing because of them).......when is the last time Tennessee played a good team and looked good on both ends? I think it’s been a while (for this team).
To add to your point about TOs, Kansas also scored 17 points off of Tennessee's 15 TOs while Tennessee only managed 8 points off of Kansas' 6 TOs.

Josiah-Jordan James was a -20 in the +/- department. He is a freshman playing in his biggest game of his young career, but man, he was bad today. 0 points and 6 TOs despite 7 rebs and 4 assts. A very forgettable day for him.

On the flipside, Santiago Vescovi may have had his best game as a Vol. 9 pts, 5 rebs, 3 assts, 1 stl, and 0 TOs. He definitely looks more comfortable creating off of the wing or in transition and chaos. His struggles come in the halfcourt when he is tasked with setting up the offense, but today didn't seem too big for him. Full disclosure, Kansas didn't really pressure him much, either, which was a bad scout on their part, IMO.

Udoka Azubuike, two years in a row, now, has straight taken our lunch money. We have no one that can guard him in the post. We fronted him and they threw over top of it. We tried to push him out of the paint, and he just pulled his way back in. If that kid ever gets the fouling under control, he can be as good as he wants to be. He is a monster within 5 feet of the basket on both ends of the floor.

JJJ has been playing and getting better and better the last month or so, but he absolutely killed the team today. Seemed like the atmosphere and moment was just too big for him today. I hate to put so much on one player, but if he plays just average today we win.
ON hurt us a lot when he was on the floor today too.
Vescovi is improving defensively, but still is having a lot of lapses.

On the positive, Bowden played an awesome second half and looked confident playing offense for first time in a long time. If he has finally turned a corner, and Pons and Fulkerson can continue playing at a high level, a tourney bid is not out of the question even with our tough upcoming schedule.
Bowden has the talent and athletic ability. He is already UTs best defender. Everybody posts that UT needs a guy to take it to the hole and score/draw a foul, u all saw it tonight, against future NBA players, Bowden can do it. He justs needs to step up, have the confidence in his very capable abilities and as the commercial for some shoe company says, "Just Do It". I'm hoping this is the light coming on for Bowden moment. If it is ? Vols are 9-4 in the SEC, 17-9 overall going to Auburn with 5 very hard games to go. If that scenario happens, I love UTs chances to get into the Tournament

To add to your point about TOs, Kansas also scored 17 points off of Tennessee's 15 TOs while Tennessee only managed 8 points off of Kansas' 6 TOs.

Josiah-Jordan James was a -20 in the +/- department. He is a freshman playing in his biggest game of his young career, but man, he was bad today. 0 points and 6 TOs despite 7 rebs and 4 assts. A very forgettable day for him.

On the flipside, Santiago Vescovi may have had his best game as a Vol. 9 pts, 5 rebs, 3 assts, 1 stl, and 0 TOs. He definitely looks more comfortable creating off of the wing or in transition and chaos. His struggles come in the halfcourt when he is tasked with setting up the offense, but today didn't seem too big for him. Full disclosure, Kansas didn't really pressure him much, either, which was a bad scout on their part, IMO.

Udoka Azubuike, two years in a row, now, has straight taken our lunch money. We have no one that can guard him in the post. We fronted him and they threw over top of it. We tried to push him out of the paint, and he just pulled his way back in. If that kid ever gets the fouling under control, he can be as good as he wants to be. He is a monster within 5 feet of the basket on both ends of the floor.

agree on all

Udoka Azubuike, HAS to work harder on D....in my opinion. A lot of that has to do with fouling, but for his size and the footwork he has.....his D “should” be much better......although he did pick it up on the D end towards the end of the game. He can also jump really high (I guys see that one dunk when like his entire arm was over the rim?)....so he is 7 foot, he has footwork, he knows positioning, and he can jump....(just needs a consistent motor...he seemed to have a good one.....when he wanted to).

Also with a guy like him.....no way Tennessee should have had as many paint points as they did.

But to your point he is really good.....and those who don’t think so might not be watching the same game as I was.

get those fouls down and work on his D (mostly hustle) and he’ll be.....well he’s already really good....so he’ll be even better than really good.

With James......and even Johnson (Johnson “offensively”) when you got 4 guys giving you 67 points, you can’t expect everyone else to give you a bunch.....BUT when you got 2 guys combining for 49 minutes, and you get ONE point out of their 49 minutes........oh my goodness!

I do not think Johnson “hurt” this team yesterday like James, and I thought Johnson played D well.

But 49 minutes and 1 point....wow.

With James......and even Johnson (Johnson “offensively”) when you got 4 guys giving you 67 points, you can’t expect everyone else to give you a bunch.....BUT when you got 2 guys combining for 49 minutes, and you get ONE point out of their 49 minutes........oh my goodness!

I do not think Johnson “hurt” this team yesterday like James, and I thought Johnson played D well.

But 49 minutes and 1 point....wow.

I think that JJJ might have had early jitters. Seems like he had about 5 TOs midway through the first half. Should pay dividends down the road. He works hard to get better. Looking forward to seeing JJJ, Springer, and Keon on the court together about this time next year. Also throw Bailey in with JJJ and SV early and it will be fun.

I think that JJJ might have had early jitters. Seems like he had about 5 TOs midway through the first half. Should pay dividends down the road. He works hard to get better. Looking forward to seeing JJJ, Springer, and Keon on the court together about this time next year. Also throw Bailey in with JJJ and SV early and it will be fun.

Yea

I’m not even trying to knock on him “overall”....just a bad game.....everyone has them.

He’s been consistently good for Tennessee pretty much all season.

I was surprised at how many rebounds JJJ had. He's the kind of guy that can do a lot of things to compensate for bad shooting nights. But in addition to the TOs and lack of scoring, seemed like their PG ate him up driving around him and to the hoop.

Sometimes Barnes puts JJJ on a wing defensively when he's playing as the PG on offense. The strategy is to wear down the opposing PG while saving JJJ for late. Works best when the other team has one outstanding PG.

it was strange to see half the guys play their best and the other half play their worst, basically got the extremes from Bowden from half-to-half. Got to be encouraged though. We get that version of Fulky and Pons with the 2nd half Bowden, we are very formidable. Honestly, Vescovi was the biggest revelation. Yeah, he hit some big shots early and then kind of faded, but as far as I can tell he had 0 turnovers. Didn't think he had it in him, but that's what we need from him more than the shooting.

Reactions: RollerVol
Kansas shot 33 FTs, making 20.
Tennessee shot 16, making 12.

Thats game.

I know some will say Kansas plays more inside ball, but they also shot more threes than TN.

Appears to be a very lopsided home court advantage

This is what I saw as well. Azubuike alone should have fouled out 3 times, the guys signature move is a shove and drift to the basket. This reminded me a little of the Kentucky game last year at Kentucky, when the refs let our opponent get really physical without penalty, it is tough for anyone to deal with that. The refs were quick to blow the whistle on the Vols though.

Have always hated to use the old "the refs were allowing such and such to get away with murder", but allowing Azubuike a bunch of free elbows and push offs under the basket is ridiculous. Will be interesting to see how long that will last at the next level. Overall, the team played one of their better games. Was great to see Bowden play the way he did. As long as they play like they are capable, there will be some wins come that they are not expected to win. They are fun to watch for sure, even when there is some lapses in good decision making. We gotta remember, a very young team that are learning under fire. GO BIG ORANGE.

This is what I saw as well. Azubuike alone should have fouled out 3 times, the guys signature move is a shove and drift to the basket. This reminded me a little of the Kentucky game last year at Kentucky, when the refs let our opponent get really physical without penalty, it is tough for anyone to deal with that. The refs were quick to blow the whistle on the Vols though.

Drives me crazy when they let a push go down low and then call a slight bump at the top of the key. It’s like there is a zone where you can be more physical closer to the basket.

I think everyone was probably analyzing Azubuike in college, but I don’t believe his game translates well in the current NBA. His size will get him on a roster, but he can’t bully everyone like he can in college.

Everyone so far has made really solid comments. My primary takeaway is that Barnes is doing a pretty good job making a team out of a lot of specific role players by making them understand and execute their specific jobs.

I've never thought Fulkerson would be anything but a limited role payer but the Incredible Fulk is doing some things I just didn't imagine he could do. That drive and spinning left hand hook against a superior athlete just stunned me. Our offense is at its best when he's playing well (ok that really is a "duh" statement but I'm going to leave it so you can all abuse me).

If Jalen hits that three at the 2 minute mark it's a completely different game, even to the point where Kansas may have crumbled under the pressure. Not blaming him for the miss, it was halfway down when it rattled out, but I still don't get him, I thought this might be the year he makes it happen but he seems to lack the every game, every moment intensity.

Yeah JJJ has not consistently done the things we expected based on his ratings out of HS, but he does play good D and rebounds well and as they say, the best thing about freshmen is they become sophomores. We're not going to have to worry about him being one and done. Unless he explodes next year, he will be here at least three years. Should be fun to watch him develop.

Pons continues to develop into a player whose athleticism could get him to the NBA for a year or two. Wonder what it must feel like to have his physical gifts. At times makes me think of Dyron Nix. Pretty good for a guy from France who had to develop his game against inferior players.. We will probably see him on the French Olympic team in a few years. (Don't laugh too much, their current team has 4 or 5 NBA players.)

I still don't know if they can make the NCAA tournament, probably not, but this team hasn't quit (although that Georgia loss was awful especially after the Dawgs lost to previously SEC winless Ole Miss at home yesterday).

Taking the #3 team to the wire on its home court, this may have been Barnes best coaching job yet at UT.

Turnovers hurt. JJJ made some bad plays, but he’s been improving so I’m not too down on one bad game. I thought defensively we allowed them to get to the rim too easily. I believe Dotson was 7/10 at the rim which is the 2nd most effective he’s been at getting to the basket this season only behind his 9/10 against Dayton.

Thing I’m most pleased with is our veterans all finally played like veterans - esp Bowden. Hopefully things clicked and we can get consistent production from them and let the freshmen continue to improve. If so, this will be a tourney team.

Excellent write up and agree with all your points. I would add that while Azubuike was the difference in this game, Dotson was not far behind (if any). We had no one who could stay in front of him and he killed us with drive and dish, layups, and shooting. Kansas was a 2 man wrecking crew IMO.

I couldn't agree more about playing against the cheaters. From the looks of it, it pays pretty handsomely to cheat and there are no repercussions.

VN Store

Back