'20 MS ATH Jimmy Holiday (UT SIGNEE)

10-11. Harrison Bailey and Jimmy Holiday, quarterbacks
Bailey is a tough bet to win the starting job in his first year on campus, even though both he and Holiday enrolled early and will be participating in spring practice. I like Bailey’s odds to win the backup job at some point and be the favorite to start in 2021, which means if Guarantano struggles in 2020 like he did in 2019, Bailey might play. Or, if Guarantano gets injured, Bailey could be the first guy off the bench.

Even without that, look for Holiday to possibly prove himself worthy enough for a short-yardage package or to get some looks in the red zone. Tennessee ranked 112th nationally last year in red zone touchdown percentage, and putting speed behind center is a good way to fix that. The Vols put Jauan Jennings behind center last year a few times, and Holiday might find a similar role if he proves himself capable. Holiday’s prospects as a long-term, full-time quarterback seem iffy with Bailey around, but playing that short-yardage role as a runner could be valuable in 2020.
-Ubben

I know this kid wants to play QB, but so did JJ when he first got to UT. I think his speed has got to be on the field, so I would love to see him talk to JJ and embrace a move to WR. He needs to get touches and I think that is the quickest path to the field for him.

Now granted, I know little to nothing but that is my 2 cents.

I know this kid wants to play QB, but so did JJ when he first got to UT. I think his speed has got to be on the field, so I would love to see him talk to JJ and embrace a move to WR. He needs to get touches and I think that is the quickest path to the field for him.

Now granted, I know little to nothing but that is my 2 cents.
And if he somehow blows up at QB, then we have the next Kyler Murray on campus. Win/win really.

And if he somehow blows up at QB, then we have the next Kyler Murray on campus. Win/win really.
I low key think that he’s gonna be a star. He flew under the radar and is just absolutely electric with the ball in his hands. I think we’ve got a diamond in the rough just as I feel the same towards Dee Beckwith.

Kyler Murray was the top quarterback in his class...with tons of options. Took him awhile to get there. Don’t know if Holiday has enough time with Bailey on the roster.

Reactions: peaygolf
Kyler Murray was the top quarterback in his class...with tons of options. Took him awhile to get there. Don’t know if Holiday has enough time with Bailey on the roster.
Yeah, just an example...not a great one, admittedly. But if he can win the job (even if it is 2021), that is really saying something and no one will be able to stop him on the ground. Lynn Bowden with a legitimate 3-down pass threat.

Reactions: De La Cloobs
If he can pass at least adequately, he would be an improvement over our current Qb’s.
He will need to be much more than adequate. JJ was "adequate" but no one respected him throwing, nor did our coaches trust him. Holiday has to be good enough to be well respected by defenses when passing.

Pruitt and Chaney aren't passing on JG or HB for a pure wildcat guy all the time. Or else they would have done that with JJ this past year. He was an adequate passer too.

Yeah, just an example...not a great one, admittedly. But if he can win the job (even if it is 2021), that is really saying something and no one will be able to stop him on the ground. Lynn Bowden with a legitimate 3-down pass threat.
He’s fast. More to a quarterback than that...which you’ve already mentioned. You run faster in a straight line...you smack into a defender faster.

Last edited:
He will need to be much more than adequate. JJ was "adequate" but no one respected him throwing, nor did our coaches trust him. Holiday has to be good enough to be well respected by defenses when passing.

Pruitt and Chaney aren't passing on JG or HB for a pure wildcat guy all the time. Or else they would have done that with JJ this past year. He was an adequate passer too.
Never showed that in college.

Reactions: k-town_king
I know nothing about being a QB but this kid just doesn’t look like one. He is athletic, but his throwing and decision making ability is way behind a top tier QB recruit like HB. That said, I want to see this kid on the field with the ball in his hands... a lot.

I know nothing about being a QB but this kid just doesn’t look like one. He is athletic, but his throwing and decision making ability is way behind a top tier QB recruit like HB. That said, I want to see this kid on the field with the ball in his hands... a lot.
Doesn’t your first sentence pretty much cancel out the rest of your post?

Reactions: sonofUT62

VN Store

Back