Most memorable Kentucky game?

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
I was in Lexington for the 2007 game... crazy game. Dan Williams blocked Kentucky's game-winning field goal attempt.

2007 IN LEXINGTON
VOLS 52, CATS 50, 4 OT

Tennessee blew a 17-point lead to Kentucky, and that led to arguably the wildest game in the history of the Vols-Cats rivalry. The teams traded touchdowns in the first overtime, and Kentucky seemed on the verge of victory when Sam Maxwell intercepted Vols quarterback Erik Ainge at the goal-line on the first possession of the second overtime. The Cats couldn’t close it out, though, as Vols defensive tackle Dan Williams — a future first-round draft pick — blocked a 35-yard, would-be-game-winning field goal attempt from Kentucky’s Lones Seiber, a former star at Knoxville Central High School. Both teams scored touchdowns in the third overtime, but both fell short on their two-point conversion tries, with Kentucky keeping Vols tailback star Arian Foster out of the end zone on a would-be, game-winning conversion. Tennessee also got a personal foul penalty on that play, meaning it had to take the ball at the 40-yard line to start the fourth overtime. Ainge connected with wide receiver Quintin Hancock for the quarterback’s school-record seventh touchdown of the game on the first play, anyway, and then he connected with wide receiver Austin Rodgers for the two-point conversion. Kentucky’s Derrick Locke scored a touchdown moments later, but Vols senior defensive end Antonio Reynolds stuffed Kentucky quarterback Andre Woodson’s on the two-point conversion to end the marathon evening and clinch another SEC Eastern Division title for Tennessee under Coach Phillip Fulmer — who would be fired before the very next season ended.
-Rucker

Mentioned this before... I was at the game the last time KY won in Neyland... on the way out Vol fans were bummed, while walking in the crowd, a Vol fan accidentally stepped on an elderly KY ladies foot... she verbally tore into him, and he just replied if it will make you feel better why not just hit me. She complied.

November 24, 1984 Knoxville, TN Kentucky 17–12

The 07 game immediately came to mind. I remember Eric Berry getting a pick in OT and on the return the the UK player frappes his face mask and nearly broke his neck. I was livid. Didn’t help that because the Play happened at the end of an OT the flag was negated.

I feel this one should get more love than it often does:

2001: #6 Tennessee 38 - Kentucky 35 (Lexington)
The Vols had scored 50+ on Kentucky four years in a row at this point, but Jared Lorenzen came out firing and UK built a stunning 21-0 lead. The Vols made it 21-7 at the half, then got a crucial 14 points in the third quarter on a Kelley Washington touchdown followed by a defensive score to tie it. Kentucky didn't go away: the Vols and Cats traded blows for the final quarter and a half, with Tennessee getting a field goal to go up 38-35 with 2:49 to play. J-Lo moved Kentucky into Tennessee territory, but Chase Harp fumbled inside the 30, and the Vols recovered to secure the victory.

Tennessee vs. Kentucky: 24 Years of Heartbreak

Or a more detailed account from the same site:

2001: #6 Tennessee 38 - Kentucky 35 (Lexington)

"We can't fall behind three scores to these guys."

Down in the end zone at Commonwealth Stadium, my friends and I were watching an incredible turn of events: Kentucky, already up 14-0, was coming right at us again midway through the second quarter. Their offense had been as good as advertised. The Vol secondary had seen better days. And with the postponed showdown with the Gators on the horizon, Tennessee couldn't afford any slip-ups. And we were very, very worried.

"We can't fall behind three scores to these guys."

And then Jared Lorenzen hit Chase Harp, and Kentucky - at this point playing with 16 straight years of frustration - took a 21-0 lead.

I've never seen a crowd expand at halftime, before or since, except this game. The Cats were expecting the usual Tennessee beatdown - Tennessee had scored 50+ on the Cats four years in a row - and the students didn't all come out to play. But when word got around campus that UK was up three scores, suddenly there was a lot more blue in the place for the third quarter kickoff.

The Vols got a critical score that made it 21-7 at the break, and we knew that a quick score to open the second half could instantly turn the whole thing around. And that's exactly what the Vols did, Casey Clausen to Kelley Washington for 49 yards for the score. And when Rashad Moore picked off a batted ball, fumbled into the end zone and Constantin Ritzmann recovered, the Vols had tied the score at 21 in the blink of an eye, and we thought the Cats would lay down and die.

But Kentucky was game to the finish in this one. Derek Abney - who finished with 10 catches for 118 yards - caught a touchdown on the very next drive, and UK was back in front 28-21.

In the 4th quarter, the game belonged to Donte' Stallworth, who was just flat better than anyone Kentucky tried to cover him with. He caught fly pattern TDs of 23 and 38 yards, and the Vols went in front 35-28. But again, don't underestimate J-Lo: he went deep for 62 yards for another touchdown pass, and the Cats tied it at 35.

When Tennessee had to settle for an Alex Walls field goal that gave them a 38-35 lead with 2:49 to play, we were all thinking one thing: "Too much time."

And it almost was. Lorenzen completed two passes for first downs, and then hit Chase Harp inside the Vol 30. But Harp was stripped, the Vols recovered, and Tennessee found another way to break Kentucky hearts. Everyone was ripping our secondary after this one...no way we beat Florida, they said...

The 50 Best Games of the Fulmer Era: 30-26

Mentioned this before... I was at the game the last time KY won in Neyland... on the way out Vol fans were bummed, while walking in the crowd, a Vol fan accidentally stepped on an elderly KY ladies foot... she verbally tore into him, and he just replied if it will make you feel better why not just hit me. She complied.

November 24, 1984 Knoxville, TN Kentucky 17–12
I was at that game too as an 11 year old with my dad... I remember it because I was seated just behind a guy who was hit in the head by a thermos that was dropped from the upper deck. His head split open and there was so much blood everywhere... It was awful. And one of the worst home performances of the Majors' era. Tony Robinson was horrible in that game.

But as for the most memorable game, I would go with the Manning/Couch shootout in 1997. We won 59-31 but did not play very good defense that day. From 1996-2000, we scored at least 56 points in every game. They couldn't stop us worth a darn.

Reactions: MoodyVol
my actual favorite one 2004 comeback couldnt find just highlights but the last 50 seconds were great

I was in QQ for the first half of that game. The rain was miserable. Moved to the lower bowl for the second half.

Back in those days I always had confidence TN would pull out a win. Would like to get back to that.

The 07 game immediately came to mind. I remember Eric Berry getting a pick in OT and on the return the the UK player frappes his face mask and nearly broke his neck. I was livid. Didn’t help that because the Play happened at the end of an OT the flag was negated.
If I remember correctly that was actually on the blocked fg by Dan Williams.

Im with you Freak, 2007 with a trip to Atlanta on the line. What a game. When they were going for that kick I was for sure it would be an easy make for them. Then BLOCKED. Amazing

Im with you Freak, 2007 with a trip to Atlanta on the line. What a game. When they were going for that kick I was for sure it would be an easy make for them. Then BLOCKED. Amazing
There aren’t many games we’ve blocked a game winning kick. Can you think of any others?

I'll always remember the end of 1984. Tony Robinson was driving TN toward the south end zone for the win as time was running out. But spiking the ball wasn't allowed by rule and was a penalty for intentional grounding. So T-Rob had to throw the ball out of bounds to stop the clock. The final play was Tony throwing the ball to the west sideline as time expired. If he only had a couple more seconds, TN would have had a legitimate shot at throwing to the end zone for a win on the final play.

2005, the only Ky game I’ve ever attended. We won. It seemed like it was one of those “Never in doubt.” games.

It was a good win, but a great trip.

I was in Lexington for the 2007 game... crazy game. Dan Williams blocked Kentucky's game-winning field goal attempt.

-Rucker
I was home in Kentucky for thanksgiving, and my parents had a house full. Everyone was yelling and excited, telling me the streak was about to be over. The ending was a thing of beauty.

For me personally it was 1964, simply because it was my first trip to Neyland Stadium. Vols lost to KY 7-12 in a boring game. UT coached by interim Jim McDonald as team went to T-formation from single wing. I'd go with the 2007 4 OT game as the most exciting.

1985 in Lexington was fun, the first of back to back shutouts to end the season and win the SEC. Started out very cold but warmed up and was a pretty nice day from what I remember.

Don't remember the year but game was in KY, Peyton was QB for the Vols. UK had a QB named Billy Jack Haskins and that kid was a gamer. I think UK jumped out to a lead but the good guys won in the end. The other UK game I remember most was also in Lexington, it was the year of the Kiffen. Thanks to some bad calls by the UK offense the Vols were able to come out on top in OT. Scalped tickets and ended up n 2nd row behind UK bench, the UK season ticket holders didn't seem to like me very much before, during, and certainly after the game.

I can't remember the year. I remember Majors was the coach. Kentucky drove to the one yard line and had first and goal. They ran it between the tackles four times and were denied four times by Tennessee. Tennessee wins. The Cats are almost always ready for the Vols. They even use to the give the General fits.

-Rucker

Yeah that was as exciting a game as one could attend. Was in stands with Tooper's wife and kids... Enjoyed high fiving with Blaise the entire game...

Think that was my last trip up there for a game..

-Rucker
Almost too many to name in my life of fandom as every blowout is a Thanksgiving feast :cool:
2015 Tennessee 52 - Kentucky 21
2014 Tennessee 50 - Kentucky 16
2000 Tennessee 59 - Kentucky 20
1999 Tennessee 56 - Kentucky 21
1998 Tennessee 59 - Kentucky 21
1997 Tennessee 59 - Kentucky 31
1996 Tennessee 56 - Kentucky 10
1994 Tennessee 52 - Kentucky 0
1993 Tennessee 48 - Kentucky 0
1992 Tennessee 34 - Kentucky 13
1985 Tennessee 42 - Kentucky 0
1980 Tennessee 45 - Kentucky 14