Most memorable Kentucky game?

There aren’t many games we’ve blocked a game winning kick. Can you think of any others?

The 'Miracle at South Bend.' Our 35-34 victory over the ND Fighting Irish on Nov. 9, 1991 at Notre Dame Stadium. Notre Dame cruised to a 31-7 lead in the second period. UT clawed its way back to a 35 - 34 lead. On the final play of the game ND's chip shot field goal attempt was blocked by Jeremy Lincoln's 'back side,' and veered wide to the right.

Speaking of blocked field goals that actually cost a team the game...

The first NFL game my wife went to was the 1993 Cowboys-Dolphins Thanksgiving (Leon Lett) game.....

For me winning over KY. has been expected. So, as bad as I hate it, the game I remember the most was the farce of a game we lost (not played) to a non-QB at the QB position. Don't remember the score, the year, any names, just WE LOST!!!

For me winning over KY. has been expected. So, as bad as I hate it, the game I remember the most was the farce of a game we lost (not played) to a non-QB at the QB position. Don't remember the score, the year, any names, just WE LOST!!!
That’s the fumble game

Don't remember the year but game was in KY, Peyton was QB for the Vols. UK had a QB named Billy Jack Haskins and that kid was a gamer. I think UK jumped out to a lead but the good guys won in the end. The other UK game I remember most was also in Lexington, it was the year of the Kiffen. Thanks to some bad calls by the UK offense the Vols were able to come out on top in OT. Scalped tickets and ended up n 2nd row behind UK bench, the UK season ticket holders didn't seem to like me very much before, during, and certainly after the game.
Hadn't thought about Billy Jack Haskins in a long time. He was an outstanding QB at Paducah Tilghman in high school, at the same time I was doing my student teaching and subbing at Mayfield High School. As you said, he was a gamer.
I also remember the 1983 game in Lexington. I gave a UK fan six points in that game, the Vols won 10-0, and the assclown welshed on the bet. My own version of SVP's Bad Beats.

1997 shootout. Came out of the woods to watch it in a motel in Bucksnort. About halfway thru the game the motel owner decides to start messing with the cable and accidentally cuts off the game. Hear a few cuss words from other rooms and then one guy sees the owner on the roof and yells "it's not smart to mess with the TV when UT is playing and those watching it all have guns!" Reception was great the rest of the day :cool:

I was in Lexington for the 2007 game... crazy game. Dan Williams blocked Kentucky's game-winning field goal attempt.

-Rucker

I was there too Freak. I mentioned in another thread I was surrounded by Kentucky fans and I thought for sure I was about to be trampled.

Reactions: Freak
1985 in Lexington was fun, the first of back to back shutouts to end the season and win the SEC. Started out very cold but warmed up and was a pretty nice day from what I remember.

This is mine too. Vols had to win out to win the SEC and go to the Sugar Bowl for first time in 15-16 years. Score was 6-0 at half and still tight. Dickey hit McGee with the long pass early in 3rd to make it 14-0 (2 pt conv.) and the rout was on (45-0) and everyone knew the Vols would easily beat Vandy the next week in Knoxville. A great year.

I was in Lexington for the 2007 game... crazy game. Dan Williams blocked Kentucky's game-winning field goal attempt.

-Rucker
Yeah I was there too. So I’d say that one or the next year when Fulmer was carried off the field 🤦🏻‍♂️

This is mine too. Vols had to win out to win the SEC and go to the Sugar Bowl for first time in 15-16 years. Score was 6-0 at half and still tight. Dickey hit McGee with the long pass early in 3rd to make it 14-0 (2 pt conv.) and the rout was on (45-0) and everyone knew the Vols would easily beat Vandy the next week in Knoxville. A great year.

First time in the Sugar Bowl since Bobby Scott was QB, whom I met at Pat O'Briens while in New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl. He bought me a Hurricane and invited me to sit down for a bit.

Reactions: Backwards K
Mentioned this before... I was at the game the last time KY won in Neyland... on the way out Vol fans were bummed, while walking in the crowd, a Vol fan accidentally stepped on an elderly KY ladies foot... she verbally tore into him, and he just replied if it will make you feel better why not just hit me. She complied.

November 24, 1984 Knoxville, TN Kentucky 17–12
I was there too with my late father. Ky scored after the most blatant bad call on us for roughing the kicker I have ever seen. Old lady behind us was howling like an old dog “biiiiig bluuuuu”

I haven’t seen mentioned, but this snow game sounds like another one that possibly deserves more love:

1995: #4 Tennessee 34 - Kentucky 31 (Lexington)
With snow flurries blowing through Commonwealth Stadium, Kentucky QB Billy Jack Haskins was subjected to one of the worst beatings I've ever seen a quarterback take...and he kept getting up. Behind Haskins and the play of RB Moe Williams, UK built a 31-16 third quarter lead on one of Phillip Fulmer's best teams. But behind Peyton Manning, the Vols came roaring back in the game's final quarter and a half, scoring the game's final 18 points en route to victory, paving the way to a #2 finish nationally

I can't remember the year. I remember Majors was the coach. Kentucky drove to the one yard line and had first and goal. They ran it between the tackles four times and were denied four times by Tennessee. Tennessee wins. The Cats are almost always ready for the Vols. They even use to the give the General fits.
I believe that was 1987.

1997 when Peyton threw for over 500 yards, led the team to 59 points and lost the Heisman when Woodson returned a punt against 3rd or 4th best team in the Big 10 that season (David Boston toasted Woodson for a TD that game too)....

Last edited:
But as for the most memorable game, I would go with the Manning/Couch shootout in 1997. We won 59-31 but did not play very good defense that day. From 1996-2000, we scored at least 56 points in every game. They couldn't stop us worth a darn.
To me that game solidifies the Heisman snub push from Manning to Charles Woodson. The numbers Peyton put up that day were remarkable. But if you flipped to Ohio State vs Michigan on the crawler it showed Jamal Lewis rushes for (im wanting to say like 134 yards but i might be off) when that was a great day yes but Peytons numbers were astronomical. But yes that game and 07 are hard to pick from.

The very first game I attended at Neyland was The UK game in 1984. Very memorable for all the wrong reasons.

There aren’t many games we’ve blocked a game winning kick. Can you think of any others?

Miracle at South Bend vs Notre Dame in 1991. Jeremy Lincoln dove past the kicker and the ball hit him in the butt causing it to go wide right on the last play of the game. Most memorable blocked kick in UT history.......other than maybe the one at the end of the first half of that game that was returned for a TD.

Decades ago, I was at a cold game at home, sitting right behind some obnoxious screaming UK folks -- they thought their QB Fanuzzi was all-that.

But our Ron McCartney got in the backfield early and often, and I hooped and hollered every time. They eventually hushed about Fanuzzi.

One of THE greatest John Ward calls ever happened in a UT-KY game in the mid 80's. We blocked THREE KY punts in a row. Their punter was named Tesar. As the 3rd blocked punt was happening, John exclaimed, " ...and the Kentucky punter, ...Tesar, ...must be... in a STATE OF SHOCK!!!

VN Store

Back