Most exhilarating sports moment?

There’s only been two moments in sports that I jumped off the couch uncontrollably... 1) was the Tiger Woods chip that hung on the hole for a couple seconds and 2) was the Dobbnail boot against Georgia!

Last edited:
Reactions: orangebloodgmc
For me like so many others Tennessee winning the national championship is the top. Well the actual moment was at the point in the game that I realized that there was no way FSU was gonna handle the Vols. The only thing I can think of that would come 2nd would be Duke BB winning the NC back to back when I was a kid in the early 90s

Meeting Lou Brock, my favorite player when I was a little boy. I told him I loved watching him run. He told me if he hit a home run, he would run the bases full speed. He didn't hit a home run but he hit a triple off the top of the fence. Standing on third base, he looked over at me and pointed, he then put his hand over his heart. I will never forget the that moment. After the game he game back over to me with a game ball and said "almost." I cried when he died.
That is a GREAT story.... I have 2 baseballs with his autograph. Back when athletes didn't have to worry about some shmuck selling their autograph, guys like Lou Brock would stand in the clubhouse tunnel and sign their name until every kid was gone. When he was making a run at Maury Wills' record, I was a member of Brock's Base Burglers... (it was just a T shirt I had). It was so much fun to watch. It's truly a shame that Ricky Henderson blew his records away. Brock was something special. RIP Mr Brock... and thanks for the memories.

That is a GREAT story.... I have 2 baseballs with his autograph. Back when athletes didn't have to worry about some shmuck selling their autograph, guys like Lou Brock would stand in the clubhouse tunnel and sign their name until every kid was gone. When he was making a run at Maury Wills' record, I was a member of Brock's Base Burglers... (it was just a T shirt I had). It was so much fun to watch. It's truly a shame that Ricky Henderson blew his records away. Brock was something special. RIP Mr Brock... and thanks for the memories.
Very cool story

Reactions: ArdentVol
In person: the JJ catch to seal the UF victory in 2016. Halftime was a real low point in that game, but wow what a feeling when we won. Journey came on in the stadium as it emptied out, man oh man.

At home: The Hail Mary to beat UGA. Aka DobbsNail boot. Same low high contrast that made it so much more intense. Me and my wife jumping up and down celebrating.

I wasn't experienced enough to appreciate the 90s, its just how UT was and I didn't know that would be the most recent NC as I write this in 2021. But that Stoerner fumble was a gift from above in 98.

Some honorable mentions: Jordan 98 game 6; Braves winning WS in 95, Vols winning NC, Otis Nixon saving a HR in 92, telling Derek Barnett I liked watching him drag the USCjr QB and him laughing and saying he would do it again, talking to a UT kicker at spring game and I asked if we were gonna beat Florida he said "hell yeah we gonna beat Florida"

Reactions: MAD
Tough call. I wasn’t able to attend 98 Championship game. 1). Beating Bear and Bama at home and helping carry the goal posts out of Neyland, 2). Beating Miami in Sugar Bowl and I was there, and 3) destroying Michigan in Citrus Bowl, also there.

1971 my team, Piedmont, finally beat out Whitesburg for the Rocket City Swim League championship. We had finished second to them since the formation of the league in 1965.

Reactions: ArdentVol and MAD
There’s only been two moments in sports that I jumped off the couch uncontrollably... 1) was the Tiger Woods chip that hung on the hole for a couple seconds and 2) was the Dobbnail boot against Georgia!

The putt Tiger made on the 72nd hole at Torrey Pines in 08 to send the US Open to a playoff was pretty next level too.

Reactions: knoxff and MAD
Going from such a low at the Georgia game to the dobb nail boot.
Leaving the TN vs #1 Kansas chanting it’s great to be a TN vol after a win.

Too young to know some of the others. But after reading all these posts, went back and watched all the others that happened before I was born. Which in turn brought me to tears seeing just how great we were, and hopeful we will return to that greatness one day.

agree fotally --- longtine card fan who wsill always treasure autographed ball he signed

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
Going from such a low at the Georgia game to the dobb nail boot.
Leaving the TN vs #1 Kansas chanting it’s great to be a TN vol after a win.

Too young to know some of the others. But after reading all these posts, went back and watched all the others that happened before I was born. Which in turn brought me to tears seeing just how great we were, and hopeful we will return to that greatness one day.

If you are too young to remember those, I know you are too young to remember this. To put it in perspective the Russians were like Alabama with Tom Brady running the show. Team USA was just a bunch of college kids... not the professional ******** we have today. Annnnnnnd.. the game was played during the day, and tape delayed so literally no one knew the ending until that night. It would be impossible to keep that a secret today.. Anyway, this is just the last minute. Do you believe in Miracles? Enjoy. IT still makes me cry

If you are too young to remember those, I know you are too young to remember this. To put it in perspective the Russians were like Alabama with Tom Brady running the show. Team USA was just a bunch of college kids... not the professional ******** we have today. Annnnnnnd.. the game was played during the day, and tape delayed so literally no one knew the ending until that night. It would be impossible to keep that a secret today.. Anyway, this is just the last minute. Do you believe in Miracles? Enjoy. IT still makes me cry

I was fortunate to watch the broadcast live. I was a new hire at a major company in Burlington, VT and our cable system carried Canadian stations. Unlike the US network they did not tape delay it. We all went nuts after it ended.

Reactions: ArdentVol
A lot of obvious ones stated already.

I'll add, I remember being packed with friends in a dorm room watching a little TV when Jeff Hall made the FG to beat Syracuse in 1998. The atmosphere was ELECTRIC. We KNEW the season would be special.

And the being at the Florida game a few weeks later - next to my girlified (now wife) as Collins Cooper missed a 32 yard OT attempt wide left giving Tennessee the WIN! We were on about row 20, and we looked back at the mob running down towards the field above us... my girlfriend asked "what do we do now?" and I said "we run like hell!" We got over that fence and on to the field and celebrated like crazy!

1986 Sugar Bowl. Went to the game with my wife. I lived in Baton Rouge then. We both came home (she didn’t care a bit for football) and we rewatched the entire game again on tape on our vcr. Didn’t go to bed until about 4am.

Reactions: 67Vol and MAD

Way before my time, but I've seen the highlights a million times. I don't really think there should be any disagreement on this: it is the most significant moment in all of American sports history.

watched it live whi\e visiting my parents in knoxville

Last edited:
James Wilhoit's FG against Florida in 2004 is my favorite Tennessee moment. I was in YY behind that goalpost and it was the first time I saw us beat Florida in Neyland. Hugged a lot of strangers that night. lol

VN Store

Back