Gun control debate (merged)

I've heard/read so many stories from guides of big stuff (usually people hunting elk or in AK) about people showing up with cannons they've never shot it's bewildering. Just about all of them say, even if dealing big dangerous bears, they'd prefer you show up with a .270 you can shoot than a .338/.375/etc that you can't.

You'll get a kick (pun intended) out of this...I know a guy that (briefly) owned a #1 in 416 Weatherby. It was one of the fancy ones and very nice to look at but sweet jumping hell monkeys that thing was almost intolerable to shoot.

You should be able to take a 270, 30-06 , or a 7 mm mag and hunt just about anything you want . ( within reason)

You should be able to take a 270, 30-06 , or a 7 mm mag and hunt just about anything you want . ( within reason)
I saw an article once that said there wasn't anything on the North American continent that couldn't be hunted with a .30-06

Bullet tech has advanced to the point I think most states have started allowing 223 for big game like deer/hogs. It's only more of the same with premium bullets as the caliber increases. While there are a few instances where bigger could be argued to be better generally speaking the above is true and is being reflected in marketing/sales.

Bullet tech has advanced to the point I think most states have started allowing 223 for big game like deer/hogs. It's only more of the same with premium bullets as the caliber increases. While there are a few instances where bigger could be argued to be better generally speaking the above is true and is being reflected in marketing/sales.

Hey now, if we want to talk over the AR platform for being able to take any game on the planet, I'm up for that.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
Hmmm. That might stretch some of my "coulds" into not so sure I "woulds" but yeah, with the right selection of uppers and loadings you can cover lots and lots of ground.

Okay, the Big 5 might be a bit of a stretch though. Not that it can't be done. Humanely is another matter

I saw an article once that said there wasn't anything on the North American continent that couldn't be hunted with a .30-06
I believe it’s still the most popular caliber hunting rifle and is my rifle. So many options on loads. Not sure I’d hunt brown or grizzly bear with it but moose and caribou sure.

I believe it’s still the most popular caliber hunting rifle and is my rifle. So many options on loads. Not sure I’d hunt brown or grizzly bear with it but moose and caribou sure.

I would think a 220 grain .06 would drop just about anything...

Lotsa umph agreed but the 180gr ballistics I think is a better all around round. More muzzle and 200yd energy than even that 220gr
Oh no doubt. I wasn’t trying to be argumentative.

My first deer rifle was a .06. It was the little short semi auto. (Remington 742 I think) Knocked me down. (I was 10)

Reactions: NorthDallas40
Harvard wisdom...

Harvard grad student told to move out after roommates find her legally owned firearms 'uncomfortable'

A Harvard graduate student was told she has to move out of her apartment after her roommates found her legally owned firearms “uncomfortable” and anxiety-inducing.

Leyla Pirnie, a 24-year-old Alabama native, told the Washington Free Beacon that she felt roommates violated her privacy after searching her room without her consent and then confronting her over gun ownership.

“When I asked them why they were in my room to begin with, they each came up with completely contradicting stories (none of which made any sense), but one comment struck me in particular: ‘We saw that you had a MAGA hat and, come on, you're from Alabama… so we just kind of assumed that you had something,'” she said.

“I asked why they didn't just call me and ask me before intruding. One of the girls responded that fear took over her body and she felt compelled to search my room until she found proof. … I cannot make this up.”

Reactions: NorthDallas40
No no no. Since a very small percentage of sharks attack humans the obvious answer is to ban shark teeth on all sharks just in case one day they decide to attack a human. Leaving the law abiding sharks defenseless, especially from other criminal sharks who won’t turn in their teeth, isn’t our concern. Hey shark teeth are not protected by the Constitution this should be easy! It’s only reasonable and rationale. Let’s do this!
Actually you just fish all of the sharks out of the water and stop the threat all together. I reality there really is no rational X teeth per Y sharks that will work.

VN Store

Back