more covid discussion from the basketball thread

Pharmaceutical companies won’t bother spending time trying to get ivermectin approved to treat COVID because the medicine can be used off label, so then the FDA is in a weird position where they likely haven’t reviewed the data because there’s no data for them to review. Same thing is done with eye injections for bleeding in the eye; main treatment is offlabel and hasn’t been approved because the pharmaceutical company doesn’t want to bring it back for an approval when it’s already being used (there’s no financial benefit and FDA is super expensive to go for). The FDA doesn’t really advertise on that treatment being good either.

I think it’s more red tape stuff and financial incentives than something malicious, personally.

Way to centered, lk. Yain’t gonna piss anybody off bringing that weak take.

Some already pointed it out, but the real question is if they are symptomatic or not. If you are fully vexed and asymptomatic, you’re pretty much not contagious. At least, the chances of passing it on are so small that you might as well not be.

However, despite that they may be accounting for the risk of athletes who would claim to be asymptomatic just so they could play.

Then explain why ICUs are 10 to 1 unvaccinated to vaccinated? Thats. It bending science. That’s facts. I had to go into 12 COVID units in one week working with a hospital system. Same stats are repeated over and over in all hospitals.
At UT Medical Center, 26% of those hospitalized are fully vaccinated.

Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 3.16.28 PM.png

I think he is telling you the over 50 crowd visits the dermatologist to get checked for skin cancer.

But should you routinely go for a checkup? I'm over 50. I see my family doc twice a year. He's never advised seeing a dermatologist.

Reactions: feathersax
But should they do they routinely for a checkup? I'm over 50. I see my family doc twice a year. He's never advised seeing a dermatologist.
I feel like it's one of those "self examination" type things. Just pay attention to your body and if you have something pop up that doesn't go away in a week or two, ask your doctor about it. I let this thing grow on the back of my head for 8 years because I wasn't paying any attention and kept forgetting about it. Decided to start shaving my head because I'm tired of hair (my story and I'm sticking to it) and now it's visible to my wife. She made me get it checked. It's a basic kind but I gotta get this cancer cut out in Mid-January.

I feel like it's one of those "self examination" type things. Just pay attention to your body and if you have something pop up that doesn't go away in a week or two, ask your doctor about it. I let this thing grow on the back of my head for 8 years because I wasn't paying any attention and kept forgetting about it. Decided to start shaving my head because I'm tired of hair (my story and I'm sticking to it) and now it's visible to my wife. She made me get it checked. It's a basic kind but I gotta get this cancer cut out in Mid-January.

Good luck, man.

I think he is telling you the over 50 crowd visits the dermatologist to get checked for skin cancer.
If you stay in the sun very much, you better take skin cancer very serious. It's not a joke and the last thing you need is a plastic surgeon trying to reconstruct your facial features after the cancer is removed.

Reactions: JelloPuddinPup
Practically EVERY person I know who’s caught Covid within the past 3 months has been vaccinated. I have 3 friends with it now, all were vaxxed.
Vaccine does almost nothing to prevent the spread. In some people, it reduces the risk you get sick.

Reactions: wmcovol
Good luck, man.
Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm not too worried about it. My Dad has had a lot of these cut off because he was raised in an era where suncreen/hats just weren't a thing...and I was raised by him haha. I'm a bit smarter about it now and plan to pay close attention moving forward. So far, nothing serious and I plan to keep it that way Lord willing.

It's remarkable there are so many experts on Covid (on both sides of the fence) that are also Vol Basketball Fans.

Can we pin this thread so I can keep up to date on all things Covid?

Reactions: WestTennesseeVol
Pharmaceutical companies won’t bother spending time trying to get ivermectin approved to treat COVID because the medicine can be used off label, so then the FDA is in a weird position where they likely haven’t reviewed the data because there’s no data for them to review. Same thing is done with eye injections for bleeding in the eye; main treatment is offlabel and hasn’t been approved because the pharmaceutical company doesn’t want to bring it back for an approval when it’s already being used (there’s no financial benefit and FDA is super expensive to go for). The FDA doesn’t really advertise on that treatment being good either.

I think it’s more red tape stuff and financial incentives than something malicious, personally.
From my experiences, you are exactly right. Most people have no accurate clue or perception of how the FDA really works or how they have operated in the past. The bottom line is that pharmaceutical companies are never going to go through the expense and the time involved when off-label uses are an option. There are so many other complexities within this scenario as well that most will never know. Yet, there are those who will continue to make judgments without having anywhere near the expertise.

Reactions: Lankykong
There are more restrictions placed on elite level athletes, who by comparison, are in peak physical condition, than the other 99.9% of this country. It just doesn't make sense.

Reactions: Dallasbowlin
The one place a person should get away from the pros and cons of vaccine, no vaccine and we have 10 pages of it. Getting old. Cant we just talk sports. Understand there is a possibility of players not being able to play, but will not know till sometime tomorrow. It is what it is.

It’s probably best a thread like this exists on this forum, otherwise it would continue to infect the other threads that are actually about basketball. Just steer clear of this one and head over to one of the other threads for game talk. I’ve had my fair share of weakness and replied about non-basketball stuff, but as long as this thread stays active it will at least keep those that never actually come to this forum unless it’s about COVID in one place instead of many places.

you can still get COVID and be vaccinated but much much less likely to be hospitalized or die. Stupid AF is not understanding science.

Unless you are older than 55 or had serious comorbidities, you weren't at any significant risk of severe illness or death from the original strain, even if you were unvaccinated. This is especially true given the mildness of the omicron strain and the fact these are healthy youngsters.

Earlier this year, UT-Chattanooga played Wofford (football). Wofford had some 30+ players out due to illness. The game was played. Why? The Wofford players were out with the flu, a disease, by every statistical measure, that is more dangerous than covid to college age people (and younger).

There is no scientific reasoning for any of this covid madness.

Unless you are older than 55 or had serious comorbidities, you weren't at any significant risk of severe illness or death from the original strain, even if you were unvaccinated. This is especially true given the mildness of the omicron strain and the fact these are healthy youngsters.

Earlier this year, UT-Chattanooga played Wofford (football). Wofford had some 30+ players out due to illness. The game was played. Why? The Wofford players were out with the flu, a disease, by every statistical measure, that is more dangerous than covid to college age people (and younger).

There is no scientific reasoning for any of this covid madness.
I know 5.4mm dead people who won’t argue with you.

Reactions: johnboyhunter

VN Store

Back