Milton will be HUGE for UT in 2023

You would think that but some of our fan base in searching transfer portal slobbering for a rental QB to play next year, they think Milton will fail
I don't think he will fail. I think there's a real possibility he may fail. There's no way to tell right now. At this point in time, he hasn't shown he's consistent enough throwing the ball to be our answer at QB in '23. His champions might be right by the time next season comes around. Hopeful he improves to the point where he wins the Heisman. But, if he starts '23 like he started '21, he won't be a factor at QB by mid-season. If you were to ask me if I would rather have Milton or Sam Hartman or Maye (if either were to enter the portal) next season, I'd take either without hesitation, and I think the team would be much better with either of them.

Reactions: Odiodin
I don't think he will fail. I think there's a real possibility he may fail. There's no way to tell right now. At this point in time, he hasn't shown he's consistent enough throwing the ball to be our answer at QB in '23. His champions might be right by the time next season comes around. Hopeful he improves to the point where he wins the Heisman. But, if he starts '23 like he started '21, he won't be a factor at QB by mid-season. If you were to ask me if I would rather have Milton or Sam Hartman or Maye (if either were to enter the portal) next season, I'd take either without hesitation, and I think the team would be much better with either of them.
You, chattavol & others can think that; nevermind to me. I support Milton & all the Vols & trust the coaches. Not a reach IMO. vandie needs fans. Sign up today.

I’m hoping Milton is as good or better than Hooker come next season but I haven’t seen any indication that he will be. It’s apparent he still hasn’t learned to put touch on the ball. I saw too many rockets and overthrows against Vandy to give me the confidence he’s going to be anything close to Hooker. I saw too much early 2021 in late 2022 to make me believe he’s improved.

Interesting theory. The Vols will face a big time opponent in the bowl game. Maybe that will settle the question for good.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
It's the system not the Quarterback everywhere Heupel has been the points will go up on the scoreboard.The biggest issue is not going to be Milton it's the defense this is not some Butch Jones that Dobbs carried Heupel and his scheme and development of Hooker is what made this offense run just as it has everywhere he has been Vanderbilt game as an example 56 points with Milton. I trust Heupel when it comes to Quarterbacks.Defense is what needs to be worked on.

Interesting theory. The Vols will face a big time opponent in the bowl game. Maybe that will settle the question for good.

No it won't. You severely underestimate the capacity of a certain faction of our fanbase to bona fide and relentless Vols-player haters. If he throws six TDs in a bowl win, but has a pick six, and a midfield fumble; this faction of fans will insist with religious fervor that he's garbage. To them Joe is poison no matter what. Poyson, Po-son. Pyson. Pison. That shall ever be their sermon.

First thing I'd do would be to gauge interest from a few top shelf QBs. Just don't see any way Heupel can go into next season with Milton as the QB. Unless he's got tremendous faith that TJ or Nico can handle things, I think that would be a mistake.
JMO, but I think the bowl will be JMIII's workout video for Heupel to re-examine Joe's growth going into next yr. My own worthless estimation is that Milton has a 50/50 chance at best of being our starting QB vs Virginia. Jackson will be healthy by Spring, Nico is going to be in KTown very soon (if not already there), and then there is the Portal.....where we got H².
Joe is Not going to be an NFL QB....he is not consistently accurate enough. I wish he would volunteer to become a TE, where he could excell and get to the League.

JMO, but I think the bowl will be JMIII's workout video for Heupel to re-examine Joe's growth going into next yr. My own worthless estimation is that Milton has a 50/50 chance at best of being our starting QB vs Virginia. Jackson will be healthy by Spring, Nico is going to be in KTown very soon (if not already there), and then there is the Portal.....where we got H².
Joe is Not going to be an NFL QB....he is not consistently accurate enough. I wish he would volunteer to become a TE, where he could excell and get to the League.
Not saying he will play in the NFL, but…
Accuracy can be fixed. Size and arm strength can’t.

Since last year, Milton has more completions in fewer attempts. His completion % has gone up from 51 % to 63%. He has doubled his Yards in fewer attempts. He's doubled his average and more than tripled his TDs. Now, no one is saying he's a guaranteed world beater. But anyone not allowing for improvement next year, and dying on the "same old Milton" hill are just ignorant or willfully dishonest.

Since last year, Milton has more completions in fewer attempts. His completion % has gone up from 51 % to 63%. He has doubled his Yards in fewer attempts. He's doubled his average and more than tripled his TDs. Now, no one is saying he's a guaranteed world beater. But anyone not allowing for improvement next year, and dying on the "same old Milton" hill are just ignorant or willfully dishonest.
Throws a great short ball. Throws a very accurate intermediate ball. Runs through his progressions. Makes plays with his feet. Doesn’t turn the ball over. But he struggles with the deep ball. But so does a lot of college QBs.

Reactions: drvenner and GDV

You’re comparing garbage time against backups to him starting last year. Throw all the stats you want out he still throws it with ZERO touch. If you can’t see that then I wouldn’t be calling others ignorant.

You’re comparing garbage time against backups to him starting last year. Throw all the stats you want out he still throws it with ZERO touch. If you can’t see that then I wouldn’t be calling others ignorant.
First, his ability to throw with touch is independent of competition.

Second, you obviously haven't followed him this year. I've posted video. You are arguing from ignorance.

‘23 - IL WR Carnell Tate (Ohio State commit)

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Throws a great short ball. Throws a very accurate intermediate ball. Runs through his progressions. Makes plays with his feet. Doesn’t turn the ball over. But he struggles with the deep ball. But so does a lot of college QBs.

I think it’s exacerbated by the fact that this offense utilizes the deep ball so often because Heupel is great at scheming wide open deep shots.

If Heupel stands pat on QBs in the portal, that tells me he thinks one of his QBs (likely Milton) can be the man next year. And it likely means that he thinks they’ll fix Milton’s issues. Honestly, from what I’ve seen, I think it’s a calmness (or lack of) thing. He’s shown he can make every throw. He’s looked great this year when he comes into blowouts and just relaxed and plays ball. He shows touch and accuracy in those moments. He’s reportedly great in practice. But when he starts, he seems jacked up and throws the ball 100 mph with no arc. I don’t know how you fix that, but Heupel is a QB guru and if he thinks he can, I trust him.

Reactions: dovervolz
I think it’s exacerbated by the fact that this offense utilizes the deep ball so often because Heupel is great at scheming wide open deep shots.

If Heupel stands pat on QBs in the portal, that tells me he thinks one of his QBs (likely Milton) can be the man next year. And it likely means that he thinks they’ll fix Milton’s issues. Honestly, from what I’ve seen, I think it’s a calmness (or lack of) thing. He’s shown he can make every throw. He’s looked great this year when he comes into blowouts and just relaxed and plays ball. He shows touch and accuracy in those moments. He’s reportedly great in practice. But when he starts, he seems jacked up and throws the ball 100 mph with no arc. I don’t know how you fix that, but Heupel is a QB guru and if he thinks he can, I trust him.

Greatttttttt we're starting JG next year

Reactions: Jdw2920
Not saying he will play in the NFL, but…
Accuracy can be fixed. Size and arm strength can’t.
He's not a first or second year project. Guy has 5 years under his belt. 3 coaching staffs and 2 years with Heupel. If the light was going to come on, one would assume the switch would have been flipped by someone by now.

I've always wanted Milton at TE.

He's not a first or second year project. Guy has 5 years under his belt. 3 coaching staffs and 2 years with Heupel. If the light was going to come on, one would assume the switch would have been flipped by someone by now.

Why? The switch didn’t flip for Josh Allen until his 3rd year in the NFL (when he was about the age Milton will be next year).

VN Store

Back