Milton will be HUGE for UT in 2023

Dont try to say Joe aint accurate. It was pouring rain at Vandy, and his 1st start in a long while.

Did you forget this small sample of 2 perfectly thrown deep passes?

Did you conveniently forget several of his other throws? Knife cuts both ways. His history is what it is. This notion that he's suddenly going to morph into the second coming of Elway is silly.

So glad the Vols have Milton. For all the people bitching about Milton, he does so much more for the offense. The opens up the running game, because of his ability to throw the ball so deep (yes he'll have overthrows, so did Hooker). He also has the ability to absolutely truck folks if he runs just a bit.

The overthrow Joe comments and all the negative comments about how he can't play are just really coming from people that don't truly understand the sport. He will connect on a lot of the deep balls. He didn't have anymore overthrows last night (in a cool driving rain) than Hooker would typically have in a game.

I hope the coaches don't screw with his arm and throwing motion during camp next year. If anything he needs to hold the ball a half second longer and/or put a little more air under the ball.

I am really looking forward to Milton leading the Vols next season, no matter how the bowl game goes. The extra practices and game, gives next year's offense a big advantage.

He was pretty efficient last night. NO TURNOVERS was the best thing about his performance last night and the threat alone of the deep ball really had the defense on their heels, which opened up the run game like the Red Sea.

People can obviously have their opinions and say what they want, but if you're gonna spend the next several months hating on Joe Milton, go pick up a hobby....
I wish these TN fans would get over the Milton analysis. There's only one Peyton and one Hendon. The team will have to adapt to Joe's skillset. He does seem to overthrow but he doesn't throw pics like JG. Give him till next spring and let our coaches coach. We are so fortunate to have a player with such team spirit and a great friend of Hendon Hooker!

Reactions: feathersax
Tennessee has emerged from the basement of SEC teams. We've had a great run this year! Our challenge going forward is to build a contender team every year, whether it is 9-3, 10-2, 11-1, 12-0. The whole program can't be built on a single player's arm. I personally am impressed by the emergence of our running game. Yes, our cobbled up defense has to be more consistent. The Georgia game was a dead outplayed loss. South Carolina exposed the weakness that we will have to fix in order to be a contender every year at the top. Great year, folks! Who could have imagined how things turned out. Lightening in a bottle Heupel Hendon and Hyatt!

No Milton = gaurantano, won’t get any better

In another thread someone posted something almost as ridiculous as this, the following is what I pointed out there:

This year Milton completed 63% of his passes this year, right? He threw 7 TD’s & no Int’s… 720 yards, on 34 completions = an average of ~ 22 yard per completion; a rating of ~ 218… so please tell me how that “isn’t getting any better” based off of some overthrows in a wet, windy game??

I couldn’t have possibly had a more different reaction to watching him play again than OP. Milton is not a good quarterback. I don’t know why that is hard for people to understand. I guess it’s because he’s big and has a strong arm. But that’s really meaningless for the most part. It’s like being obsessed with a shooting guard in basketball because he’s 6’7” and can jump high but a guy that can’t shoot for $hit and that has crappy ball skills and turn the ball over all the time. If a qb has no accuracy amd isn’t good at throwing guys open…what doesn’t it matter if his arm is strong?
I’d even add to that Milton doesn’t have good pocket awareness and doesn’t have a great football iq. Hooker did so many things well…one of which is just having a great football iq. An example of why that is important is how you handle 3rd down. You like to see the qb make safe high percentage plays on third down. Either short throws right at the sticks or sometimes running to ensure you get another set of downs. Wasn’t Milton like 0-7 on 3rd downs? He doesn’t have any of the qualities that make for a great qb. I feel like I get a little dumber (by association) every time I hear someone talk about how “talented” he is. He’s not talented for god sakes. Shouldn’t throwing accuracy and anticipation e the very first skill to look at when determining a qbs talent level?
all that being said this coaching staff is amazing at qb play and offense in general. They’ve seen exactly what we have a know beyond a doubt we’re not going to great if he’s leading the team next fall. You’ll see either one of the young guys or a transfer qb take the reins by early next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: LAVol1 and Volhoops
I couldn’t have possibly had a more different reaction to watching him play again than OP. Milton is not a good quarterback. I don’t know why that is hard for people to understand. I guess it’s because he’s big and has a strong arm. But that’s really meaningless for the most part. It’s like being obsessed with a shooting guard in basketball because he’s 6’7” and can jump high but a guy that can’t shoot for $hit and that has crappy ball skills and turn the ball over all the time. If a qb has no accuracy amd isn’t good at throwing guys open…what doesn’t it matter if his arm is strong?
I’d even add to that Milton doesn’t have good pocket awareness and doesn’t have a great football in. Hooker did so many things well…one of which is just having a great football iq. An example of why that is important is how you handle 3rd down. You like to see the qb make safe high percentage plays on third down. Either short throws right at the sticks or sometimes running to ensure you get another set of downs. Wasn’t Milton like 0-7 on 3rd downs? He doesn’t have any of the qualities that make for a great qb. I feel like I get a little dumber (by association) every time I hear someone talk about how “talented” he is. He’s not talented for god sakes. Shouldn’t throwing accuracy and anticipation e the very first skill to look at when determining a qbs talent level?
all that being said this coaching staff is amazing at qb play and offense in general. They’ve seen exactly what we have a know beyond a doubt we’re not going to great if he’s leading the team next fall. You’ll see either one of the young guys or a transfer qb take the reins by early next season.

Will have to agree to disagree.

Did you conveniently forget several of his other throws? Knife cuts both ways. His history is what it is. This notion that he's suddenly going to morph into the second coming of Elway is silly.

I posted his highlights from THIS season, not last year. Denying that he is better this year than he was last year is silly. I didn't compare him to anyone besides himself from last year, not to Elway.

I don't understand this line of thinking. It's like we didn't just witness Hooker transform from a below average ACC QB to a Heisman contender as a 23 yr old with three seasons under his belt.
Because Milton was not Hooker.

Not sure where you got the idea of Hendon being "below average " at Va Tech.

His TD/Int ratio was still very respectable and he ran there too. He had more volume at Tennessee. And yes ye did become better.

But you're way off about Hendon being BELOW AVERAGE hahaha

I agree he will be huge .just waiting for ncaa to inforce a new rule where the receiver can run 10 rolls up into the stand to catch the ball for a td

I’d even add to that Milton doesn’t have good pocket awareness and doesn’t have a great football in. Hooker did so many things well…one of which is just having a great football iq. An example of why that is important is how you handle 3rd down. You like to see the qb make safe high percentage plays on third down. Either short throws right at the sticks or sometimes running to ensure you get another set of downs. Wasn’t Milton like 0-7 on 3rd downs? He doesn’t have any of the qualities that make for a great qb. I feel like I get a little dumber (by association) every time I hear someone talk about how “talented” he is. He’s not talented for god sakes. Shouldn’t throwing accuracy and anticipation e the very first skill to look at when determining a qbs talent level?

So glad the Vols have Milton. For all the people bitching about Milton, he does so much more for the offense. The opens up the running game, because of his ability to throw the ball so deep (yes he'll have overthrows, so did Hooker). He also has the ability to absolutely truck folks if he runs just a bit.

The overthrow Joe comments and all the negative comments about how he can't play are just really coming from people that don't truly understand the sport. He will connect on a lot of the deep balls. He didn't have anymore overthrows last night (in a cool driving rain) than Hooker would typically have in a game.

I hope the coaches don't screw with his arm and throwing motion during camp next year. If anything he needs to hold the ball a half second longer and/or put a little more air under the ball.

I am really looking forward to Milton leading the Vols next season, no matter how the bowl game goes. The extra practices and game, gives next year's offense a big advantage.

He was pretty efficient last night. NO TURNOVERS was the best thing about his performance last night and the threat alone of the deep ball really had the defense on their heels, which opened up the run game like the Red Sea.

People can obviously have their opinions and say what they want, but if you're gonna spend the next several months hating on Joe Milton, go pick up a hobby....
I DISAGREE AND THE STATS ARE PROOF

Because Milton was not Hooker.

Not sure where you got the idea of Hendon being "below average " at Va Tech.

His TD/Int ratio was still very respectable and he ran there too. He had more volume at Tennessee. And yes ye did become better.

But you're way off about Hendon being BELOW AVERAGE hahaha
Aren't you the guy that went on incessantly last spring that Maurer should be the guy?

Hooker lost his job at a weak school in a weak conference. He also had problems with turnovers. Does that mean average or below average? I'll let you decide on the semantics.

Will have to agree to disagree.

What part do you disagree with? Do you think he’s an accurate passer? How could you say that? And have you seen him make a bunch of high iq football plays? I haven’t. How about using his running ability to avoid being sacked and picking up crucial first downs? Nope. Never seen him do that.

He’s not good. It’s weird that some people seem to constantly talk about his “talent”. Typically that what people say about someone when they’ve not performed well. If he’d have performed well it wouldn’t be “he’s talented” it would be “he’s good”.

What part do you disagree with? Do you think he’s an accurate passer? How could you say that? And have you seen him make a bunch of high iq football plays? I haven’t. How about using his running ability to avoid being sacked and picking up crucial first downs? Nope. Never seen him do that.

He’s not good. It’s weird that some people seem to constantly talk about his “talent”. Typically that what people say about someone when they’ve not performed well. If he’d have performed well it wouldn’t be “he’s talented” it would be “he’s good”.

In another thread someone posted something almost as ridiculous as this, the following is what I pointed out there:

This year Milton completed 63% of his passes this year, right? He threw 7 TD’s & no Int’s… 720 yards, on 34 completions = an average of ~ 22 yard per completion; a rating of ~ 218… so please tell me how that “isn’t getting any better” based off of some overthrows in a wet, windy game??

63% doesn’t scream inaccurate, 7 TD & no INT’s (on 54 attempts) doesn’t sound inaccurate to me, quite the contrary. of note, Hooker only completed 69% of his passes, so not a huge difference there. Also, to your point about tucking and running, he has this year; avoiding be sacked, how about the play he stiff armed 3 guys in the back field to get outta the pocket to make a throw? I’m not convinced in the Vandy game he wasn’t advised against running much given how thin we have suddenly become at QB.

You say he isn’t good, I believe he is; you say I’m judging based on “talent” & I say you’re judging on “last year”. So please tell me, when did he not perform well this year? Every time he went in, he did exactly what he was asked to do.

Old Joe must have peed in your cheerios didn't he. We still don't have a good take on Milton you can't go by those games last year even the Vandy game was not a good example.It was pouring the rain probably shouldn't have been throwing the ball in those conditions. The one good thing is no causing any turnovers and that is a big thing. It's Heupel's scheme not the Quarterback you want something to worry about it's the defense because Heupel's offense with Hooker,Milton or whoever will put up the points.

Dont try to say Joe aint accurate. It was pouring rain at Vandy, and his 1st start in a long while.

Did you forget this small sample of 2 perfectly thrown deep passes?

No, didn't forget the 5-6 big overthrows to wide open receivers either. If you don't complete over 60% of your passes in this offense, the offense will not score enough points to win against top-tier opponents.

63% doesn’t scream inaccurate, 7 TD & no INT’s (on 54 attempts) doesn’t sound inaccurate to me, quite the contrary. of note, Hooker only completed 69% of his passes, so not a huge difference there. Also, to your point about tucking and running, he has this year; avoiding be sacked, how about the play he stiff armed 3 guys in the back field to get outta the pocket to make a throw? I’m not convinced in the Vandy game he wasn’t advised against running much given how thin we have suddenly become at QB.

You say he isn’t good, I believe he is; you say I’m judging based on “talent” & I say you’re judging on “last year”. So please tell me, when did he not perform well this year? Every time he went in, he did exactly what he was asked to do.
Milton's starting game starts:

11/21 against Vandy.
7/12 vs. Pitt
11/23 vs. Bowling Green

His high competition rates: 8/9 vs. Ball State, 4/5 vs. Akron, 3/3 vs. Mizzou. Other than those 3 games this season, all under 60%. Granted, he wasn't playing with #1's in all those games, but I don't see anything that indicates he can complete over 60% of his passes consistently, and that will be necessary for him to be effective. I'm really pulling for the guy, but I have to be skeptical of his ability.

The guy can look so good on some passes, and not so good on others...I'm trusting coach H will fix his overthrows, or a least improve them...

In any event, he is our guy now....

The guy can look so good on some passes, and not so good on others...I'm trusting coach H will fix his overthrows, or a least improve them...

In any event, he is our guy now....
You would think that but some of our fan base in searching transfer portal slobbering for a rental QB to play next year, they think Milton will fail

VN Store

Back